The Student Room Group

S2 Edexcel Thursday 24th May AM - PAPER & SOLUTIONS IN FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Hey sorry - just one q, for the sampling distribution one instead of doing range, instead I worked out probabilities of the possible combinations. Listed all the combinations and calculated their probabilities and they all added up to one.
Would I at least get 2/6 for it? :frown:

Also - for the probability of mean at least half a minute differing - instead of integrating with the limits 2.5 and 1.5, I did F(2.5) - F(1.5), I quickly found the cdf of the pdf and did that, I got the correct probability as you would when integrating with the limits 2.5 and 1.5 but didn't subtract it from 1. Would I lose only 1 accuracy mark for this? because I didn't get the final answer? as in didn't subtract from 1?

Reckon you could get 3 or 4 max for the sampling dist. You'll probably lose 1 for 5d).
Original post by Gibbo81
Reckon you could get 3 or 4 max for the sampling dist. You'll probably lose 1 for 5d).

How many /5 for poisson instead of binomial on q8?
Reply 562
Original post by Extricated
Gibbo please clear a few things up for me, i'm a bit stressed since I need a good mark in S2!

For the probability of the value being less than 0.5 either side of the mean, my working out was just writing the integrals without actually writing the square brackets thing since I was running out of time but i got 81/128 - do i lose a mark?

how many /5 do you think we're likely to get for poisson instead of binomial on the last q?

You may be lucky with 5d and get full marks. The fact that it is only 3 means they may not need to see the actual integral.

I think you'll lose 3/5 on q8a but you might be lucky and only lose 2.
Original post by Gibbo81
Yep I'm afraid you probably will.

In the jan 2012 paper, there was a similar question, asking you to sketch pdf, but in the mark scheme, there were no marks for the bold bits, just marks for the shape, and the axis interceptions. Do you reckon our mark scheme will be the same?
Original post by Gibbo81
Sounds like a plan!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

It's alright he's moving to wales anyway so i can say what i like!!!
Original post by Gibbo81
You may be lucky with 5d and get full marks. The fact that it is only 3 means they may not need to see the actual integral.

hey did you reach a conclusion on if the marks would be gained by writing down the poisson for the approximation instead of the binomial? (you said you'd have a look)
Original post by Gibbo81

In the jan 2012 paper, there was a similar question, asking you to sketch pdf, but in the mark scheme, there were no marks for the bold bits, just marks for the shape, and the axis interceptions. Do you reckon our mark scheme will be the same?
Original post by jukebox123

A quick scan of some mark schemes has 'condone missing patios' or 'ignore missing patios' next to a graph... i have no idea what a 'patio' is on a graph i assume its the flat bit, so i think u wont lose the marks. Infact im almost 100% certain you wont.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by maths134
A quick scan of some mark schemes has 'condone missing patios' or 'ignore missing patios' next to a graph... i have no idea what a 'patio' is on a graph i assume its the flat bit, so i think u wont lose the marks.

Oh thanks very much. That means i still have a chance of 100! BTW, do you think the 100UMS boundary will be 73/74, since there were many places to trip people up?
Original post by jukebox123

A quick scan of some mark schemes has 'condone missing patios' or 'ignore missing patios' next to a graph... i have no idea what a 'patio' is on a graph i assume its the flat bit, so i think u wont lose the marks.

I dissagree in alot of the markscheme's the lines are in bold. However i'm in the same boat so i just hope you are right.
Original post by semi-skimmed
I dissagree in alot of the markscheme's the lines are in bold. However i'm in the same boat so i just hope you are right.

Yes yes but if you read the notes after the question is always says 'condone missing patios'. The june 2010 one highlights them then says 'condone missing patios', the next mark scheme says 'ignore missing patios (y=0 lines). So no you won't. Just found another 'award mark even if patio cannot be seen'.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes yes but if you read the notes after the question is always says 'condone missing patios'. The june 2010 one highlights them then says 'condone missing patios', the next mark scheme says 'ignore missing patios (y=0 lines). So no you won't.

I hope your right but on a seperate note.. Why have them in bold then :confused:
Original post by semi-skimmed
I hope your right but on a seperate note.. Why have them in bold then :confused:

I have no idea, because they are conventionally drawn but not hugely important concerning awarding marks?. Anyway did anything find out how the other 1 mark would be dealt with on question 3 where people used poisson on there Ho instead of bin, i mean its valid but would it get the marks...
I have no idea, because they are conventionally drawn but not hugely important concerning awarding marks?. Anyway did anything find out how the other 1 mark would be dealt with on question 3 where people used poisson on there Ho instead of bin, i mean its valid but would it get the marks...

I don't think it matters, as long as you get the method for working the critical values right, you should get full marks.

I've got a strong feeling that you still would because as you said it's valid as the question walks you through it, but your guess is as good as mine.
Was the q about finding the probability of the mean differing by half minute 2 or 3 marks?

it was 3 mate
Original post by tangkykiet
it was 3 mate

Yeah lol, I asked this before the mark scheme was uploaded :wink:
Original post by Gibbo81

Okay, thanks! This makes me feel much better :biggrin:
Original post by Warfare
Q8, marks gone. Assuming ill get atleast two marks for attempting the answer with a poisson distribution i lost a solid 5 marks. I drew a tree diagram, listed the samples, but i drew the distribution table in another away. In stead of 2 outcomes i had 4, each being like - either 2 Number 1's and 1 Number 2, 3 Number 1's, 3 Number 2's, or 2 Number 2's and 1 number 1 and so on. My values were correct...will I get marks on that?
I also seemed to have gotten my probability incorrect region wrong i wrote 0.0216+0.0216....but i should get a mark for that and I gotten the last part for C incorrect of the three cumulative function. So i lost about a solid 7 marks, along with of those in the sampling distribution. I'll say ill get around 63+...hopefully an A.. -_-

OMGGG , how come we made so similar mistake ? lool whenever you made one , i made exactly the same and i think i can get around 64 assuming get no mark whatsoever in question 8 and 3 marks lost on question distribution of range but im optimistic i can get something out of it :frown:
Okay, thanks! This makes me feel much better :biggrin:

holddd on !! wait , what if i wrote all the list of possible sample and then the work out the probability of that one . For example (1,1,1) and i wrote (0.65)^3 and then do the same thing with the rest even though i had no idea what the question was lool. Do you think i can get probably more than 3 ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending