The Student Room Group

Higher RMPS Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by amaclean
I know - My biggest flaw will be misreading the questions :frown:. Have you any predictions?

No predictions- just revising as much as possible, getting everything nicely crammed into my head. I don't feel that bad about it, not the KU anyway. Bit scared for the big AE questions! I hope they're nice...
Reply 41
Yeah they are the worst.

Im just reading my notes and revising questions i have already done and then hopefully will come to me tomorrow!
I know all my notes inside and out but struggle to answer the actual questions ? Anyone else have this problem I'm most worried about my world religion (Judaism) I got a band 1 for my morality nab so I'm not too worried about that :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Scrabble96
The pass mark WAS 55% last year. It was 45 % for int 2!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Wow nice take a lot of pressure off me now. Need at least a B. I know I will get full marks on ethical theories so all I have to do is get at least half marks on each question for a B : )
Reply 44
Can someone tell me what prayer and worship like in detail and what is the role of prayer in Christianity. Thanks!
Reply 45
Also can someone tell me what the teleological argument is so main points that will get me 4KU marks

ANd 2 strengths and difficulties that are simple and will get me 8AE marks. THANKS!
Reply 46
Original post by StudyAk
Also can someone tell me what the teleological argument is so main points that will get me 4KU marks

ANd 2 strengths and difficulties that are simple and will get me 8AE marks. THANKS!

Q1- Looking at the world we can see order, regularity and design (give examples of these eg. food chains, seasons, the human eye)
These things cannot simply be chance - something as perfect as earth and all the creatures on it couldn't not come from random genetic mutation (evolution)
Hence there must have been a designer - this designer was all powerful and didn't need to be designed them self.
This designer is God. Then talk about the watch analogy

Q2 Strength - 1: It's a priori argument eg it's based on evidence so we can all see where the argument comes from
2: The conditions on earth are perfect for life - Anthropic Principle

Weaknesses - 1: The world is not perfect eg natural disasters, famine, global warming
2: We only perceive order because that's how we are trained to see the world
Reply 47
Original post by aroy45
Q1- Looking at the world we can see order, regularity and design (give examples of these eg. food chains, seasons, the human eye)
These things cannot simply be chance - something as perfect as earth and all the creatures on it couldn't not come from random genetic mutation (evolution)
Hence there must have been a designer - this designer was all powerful and didn't need to be designed them self.
This designer is God. Then talk about the watch analogy

Q2 Strength - 1: It's a priori argument eg it's based on evidence so we can all see where the argument comes from
2: The conditions on earth are perfect for life - Anthropic Principle

Weaknesses - 1: The world is not perfect eg natural disasters, famine, global warming
2: We only perceive order because that's how we are trained to see the world

THank you! for the teleological argument I'm sure you have to say who developed it.

BY and chance have you got quick notes on Baptism? Just key areas I need to know?
Reply 48
Original post by StudyAk
THank you! for the teleological argument I'm sure you have to say who developed it.

BY and chance have you got quick notes on Baptism? Just key areas I need to know?

You don't need to say who developed it - some years it gets you a mark and some years it doesn't - same with cosmological, I just forgot but it's proba best to :tongue:
Nah sorry :frown: I did Buddhism

Reply 49
Original post by aroy45
You don't need to say who developed it - some years it gets you a mark and some years it doesn't - same with cosmological, I just forgot but it's proba best to :tongue:
Nah sorry :frown: I did Buddhism

That doesn't sound right. IF you are looking at the marking scheme then that's wrong. The marking instructions is really only meant to be for the marker and contain things that are included in an answer. There are still several other points you can make that will get you the mark. Saying who developed the theory will definitely get you a mark. It doesn't make sense if some years they give you the mark then other years they don't...

And no worries. I don't think I have enough time for baptism anyway. It's an easy higher but so much to learn!! :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by StudyAk
That doesn't sound right. IF you are looking at the marking scheme then that's wrong. The marking instructions is really only meant to be for the marker and contain things that are included in an answer. There are still several other points you can make that will get you the mark. Saying who developed the theory will definitely get you a mark. It doesn't make sense if some years they give you the mark then other years they don't...

And no worries. I don't think I have enough time for baptism anyway. It's an easy higher but so much to learn!! :frown:

not really, ive never been marked for saying that William Paley developed the telelogical argument cause thats not explaining the actual theory, you only get it for the description/explanation and watch analogy...
it will however look good if you write it in, no harm in doing so...

the marking schemes say what is acceptable, including and other relevant answers, it would mention if you were to be credited for the name or not, otherwise some markers would credit it and others not, they sort all that out at the markers meetings...

yeah agreed, it is quite an easy higher but there is just so much content!
i'm quite confident about it, for full marks on all the nabs and, the AE questions to me are easy to pick up marks on because there are so many viewpoints to talk about, its great :P
i'm doing Buddhism for world religion, its so complicated! so many weird terms to try and learn xD

good luck to everyone!
What are the main points to remember about Buddhist meditation?
I've remembered about Samtha, Vipassana, jhanas, koans but is there anything significant I've missed?
Reply 52
Can someone please describe the human condition in Buddhism and the five skandas and precepts.

Can someone please describe the human condition in Buddhism and the five skandas and precepts.

The human condition is one of suffering. It concerns itself with the three universal truths: anicca, anatta and dukkha. Dukkah means suffering but translates literally as unsatisfactoriness. Since life is always changing, we also change and if we do not accept that things are impermanent, we will suffer because we are not ready for this change. Not accepting Anatta will lead to suffering because we will put ourselves at the centre of our lives and think we do not change. When we change, we suffer. Suffering is also caused by being attached to impermanent things - tahna. The human condition is also fuelled by the three root poisons. These poisons trap us in the wheel of Samsara but if we rid ourselves of these poinsons and accept the three universal truths, we can reach Nibbana.

Long winded, I know. Sorry :P

The five skandas are rupa, vedana, sankhara, sanna and vinnana.
Body, sensations, character traits, mental formations and consciousness respectively. Buddhists believe that we are made up of these five changing things.

The five precepts are not laws. They are just guidelines.
Avoid harming other life.
Avoid taking what is not given.
Avoid sexual misconduct.
Avoid incorrect speech.
Avoid drink and drugs that cloud the mind.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by imonlylittle
not really, ive never been marked for saying that William Paley developed the telelogical argument cause thats not explaining the actual theory, you only get it for the description/explanation and watch analogy...
it will however look good if you write it in, no harm in doing so...

the marking schemes say what is acceptable, including and other relevant answers, it would mention if you were to be credited for the name or not, otherwise some markers would credit it and others not, they sort all that out at the markers meetings...

yeah agreed, it is quite an easy higher but there is just so much content!
i'm quite confident about it, for full marks on all the nabs and, the AE questions to me are easy to pick up marks on because there are so many viewpoints to talk about, its great :P
i'm doing Buddhism for world religion, its so complicated! so many weird terms to try and learn xD

good luck to everyone!

ok but I'm going to put it in anyway... I have been to put it in. Just like you said some years accept it and others dont so they might this year.

Ha I know what it feels like I hate studying Christianity the human condition is ok but then there's goals and means and THEN baptism which I don't understand.

Can anyone explain how to get 4 marks explaining evolution? Thanks!
Reply 55
Good luck everyone!
Reply 56
Original post by TheBambiHeart
The human condition is one of suffering. It concerns itself with the three universal truths: anicca, anatta and dukkha. Dukkah means suffering but translates literally as unsatisfactoriness. Since life is always changing, we also change and if we do not accept that things are impermanent, we will suffer because we are not ready for this change. Not accepting Anatta will lead to suffering because we will put ourselves at the centre of our lives and think we do not change. When we change, we suffer. Suffering is also caused by being attached to impermanent things - tahna. The human condition is also fuelled by the three root poisons. These poisons trap us in the wheel of Samsara but if we rid ourselves of these poinsons and accept the three universal truths, we can reach Nibbana.

Long winded, I know. Sorry :P

The five skandas are rupa, vedana, sankhara, sanna and vinnana.
Body, sensations, character traits, mental formations and consciousness respectively. Buddhists believe that we are made up of these five changing things.

The five precepts are not laws. They are just guidelines.
Avoid harming other life.
Avoid taking what is not given.
Avoid sexual misconduct.
Avoid incorrect speech.
Avoid drink and drugs that cloud the mind.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you. Very helpful. Is it likely that the 5 skandas will appear somewhere in the exam?

Thank you. Very helpful. Is it likely that the 5 skandas will appear somewhere in the exam?

I put them in if there's an anatta question. I would guess they wouldn't be asked on their own :smile: but obviously I can't know for sure!

Reply 58
How did everyone find it?
Reply 59
Didn't like Buddhism!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending