The Student Room Group

is 5 highers +1 advanced higher enough for uni

in S5 I have taken, Higher English and Higher Physics.
in S6 I am taking, Higher ICT, Higher Maths, Higher RMPS and Advanced Higher Physics.

Is this enough to apply for a computer science course in uni?
Original post by yikerslol
in S5 I have taken, Higher English and Higher Physics.
in S6 I am taking, Higher ICT, Higher Maths, Higher RMPS and Advanced Higher Physics.

Is this enough to apply for a computer science course in uni?

Hey @yikerslol :h: Every university will have different entry requirements so it's important you look them up and compare and contrast courses when you're applying next year.

For our BSc Computer Science degree at Strathclyde our standard entry requirements are AAAB/AABBB (Maths B, and Computing Science recommended) so that is what we'd like you to have by the end of S6 in total. As you're not taking Higher Maths this year we'd be looking for you to achieve that next year as it's a required subject if you were applying to us. Universities in Scotland also have minimum entry criteria for students applying from a widening access background, and if you're eligible for an adjusted offer then we'd be asking for ABBB/BBBBB by the end of S6. To find out if you'd be eligible for this type of offer you can check university websites (this is ours here).

Offers and entry requirements will vary from university to university and from course to course. Have a look at different university websites to see what they say and you'll hopefully get a good idea of where offers your programme and where you might like to apply :smile: Some universities will be more competitive than others, so reach out to different admissions teams and see what advice they can give. Drop me a PM any time if I can help!

Good luck with your upcoming exams :crossedf:
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @yikerslol :h: Every university will have different entry requirements so it's important you look them up and compare and contrast courses when you're applying next year.

For our BSc Computer Science degree at Strathclyde our standard entry requirements are AAAB/AABBB (Maths B, and Computing Science recommended) so that is what we'd like you to have by the end of S6 in total. As you're not taking Higher Maths this year we'd be looking for you to achieve that next year as it's a required subject if you were applying to us. Universities in Scotland also have minimum entry criteria for students applying from a widening access background, and if you're eligible for an adjusted offer then we'd be asking for ABBB/BBBBB by the end of S6. To find out if you'd be eligible for this type of offer you can check university websites (this is ours here).

Offers and entry requirements will vary from university to university and from course to course. Have a look at different university websites to see what they say and you'll hopefully get a good idea of where offers your programme and where you might like to apply :smile: Some universities will be more competitive than others, so reach out to different admissions teams and see what advice they can give. Drop me a PM any time if I can help!

Good luck with your upcoming exams :crossedf:

Thanks! I was quite worried about the notion that 4 Highers need to be done strictly in S5 only.
Original post by yikerslol
Thanks! I was quite worried about the notion that 4 Highers need to be done strictly in S5 only.

@yikerslol For some courses this might be the case so make sure to do your research next year when you're applying. It depends on how competitive the course is for entry and sometimes it's preferred to get more highers in S5. For now focus on the two highers you're getting this year and give yourself a good start ahead of taking on more subjects next year. & If in doubt - ask the universities! :smile:

Reply 4
For most English Unis, you will usually need 2 Advanced Highers - the requirements for Scottish Unis are lower because of the different structure of their degrees.
Reply 5
i'm not looking to get into any english uni's, it's all good

Original post by McGinger
For most English Unis, you will usually need 2 Advanced Highers - the requirements for Scottish Unis are lower because of the different structure of their degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending