The Student Room Group

choosing Advanced Highers for sixth year…

Hey! I’m in 5th year going into 6th year (in scotland) and I’m torn between a few different advanced highers for next year. I’m definitely set on doing Art AH and English AH, however I also want to try Maths AH as I am predicted an A in higher maths and it’s one of the subjects that I understand the most. AH Drama is also another option, and if anyone has any advice on how many or which ones I should take I would appreciate it :smile:
Original post by Josie__B
Hey! I’m in 5th year going into 6th year (in scotland) and I’m torn between a few different advanced highers for next year. I’m definitely set on doing Art AH and English AH, however I also want to try Maths AH as I am predicted an A in higher maths and it’s one of the subjects that I understand the most. AH Drama is also another option, and if anyone has any advice on how many or which ones I should take I would appreciate it :smile:

If you want to try direct 2nd year entry or for some English universities, take 3 AH.

Math seems more practical as an AH, although the bottom line is get the best grade.
Reply 2
Original post by justlearning1469
If you want to try direct 2nd year entry or for some English universities, take 3 AH.

Math seems more practical as an AH, although the bottom line is get the best grade.

Yeah I’m still deciding where i want to apply for uni, but I’d really like to keep my options open, especially in regard to the possibility of Oxbridge.

Thanks for the advice!
Original post by Josie__B

Hey @Josie__B :biggrin: Do you know what you'd like to study at university yet? Which qualifications are you sitting this year at Higher?

If you have a University that you're aiming on working towards just now then check their entry requirements for your chosen subject to see what they require. Or if you're not sure just pick a few at random to give yourself a rough idea. If you are considering some English universities then they may ask for more at AH level, whereas if you're looking at Scottish universities they're not always required. Each applicant is unique so which ones are best suited to you will depend on what your goals are in and after S6 :smile:

Wishing you tons of luck with your ongoing Higher exams just now!! Hope they're going well :five:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Josie__B :biggrin: Do you know what you'd like to study at university yet? Which qualifications are you sitting this year at Higher?

If you have a University that you're aiming on working towards just now then check their entry requirements for your chosen subject to see what they require. Or if you're not sure just pick a few at random to give yourself a rough idea. If you are considering some English universities then they may ask for more at AH level, whereas if you're looking at Scottish universities they're not always required. Each applicant is unique so which ones are best suited to you will depend on what your goals are in and after S6 :smile:

Wishing you tons of luck with your ongoing Higher exams just now!! Hope they're going well :five:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Hi Caitlin, thank you for the reply!

I’m currently sitting 5 highers, but I’ve already got 2 As at higher art and RMPS from S4. I’d like to go on to study English Literature at university, but I don’t know yet where I’ll be applying.

My exams are going pretty well so far!

Thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending