The Student Room Group

Canteen Food

So I just stumbled across this article:http://www.spiegel.de/schulspiegel/ausland/maedchen-schreibt-blog-ueber-schulessen-in-grossbritannien-schottland-a-834637.html (If you don't speak German just look at the photos, pretty self-explanatory)

Now I wonder if the food in British canteens really is as bad as the kid suggests. Is it just a single case? The meal definitely doesn't look appealing to me, plus this is definitely not setting a good example as how to eat healthy. I'm not surprised obesity is increasing when children get taught from little age that food has to be fat and unhealthy. How can they know otherwise when being confronted with that stuff on the photos?

It was particularly funny to read the comments under the article where Germans, who know English canteen food, claimed that German canteens would be gourmet restaurants compared to what British ones.
(edited 11 years ago)
Those photos looked nice compared to what I used to get at primary school. :colonhash:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Haha, the pictures made me laugh.
It can't be that bad, can it ?

Anyway, even the countries famous for their gastronomy are doing bad in school canteens (yeh, i'm implying France right now) ..

Examples:
- http://cache.20minutes.fr/img/photos/20mn/2011-07/2011-07-22/article_cantine-eleve-1.jpg
- http://www.tuxboard.com/photos/2011/04/Repas-cantine-France-640x476.jpg
Reply 3
There's an article in English about that girl here. My school dinners weren't that bad but I think some schools are worse than others.
Reply 4
Ours are worse, i couldn't even eat the burger's, I took a bite and inside were just lumps of pure fat. I swear they had a green tinge to them aswell. We are also meant to have a healthy eating award, most of the time the healthiest thing there is is curry, or cottage pie (with the same crap meat.)

Not to mention the FAIRTRADE cookies that are only 29.98% fair trade.
It's times like this I'm glad I was a picky eater and took my own food for most of my school life. What really annoyed me was in my Junior school, when we couldnt bring our own food and had to pay £5.25 a week for school meals (a lot back in 1997ish onwards.) When my mum found out 1) we didnt get that much food to start with and 2) I wasn't eating much of what we were given (tbf, most didnt eat much either) she hit the roof. £20 a month was worth a lot more back then.

When I left secondary school, our dinners had been taken over by a hospital food contractor, we knew better than to risk it at that point. Most of the food looked like something even a dog wouldnt eat.

The best one was when we were banned in secondary school from bringing pop or any other non-water drink (even sugar free) as it would "make us go hyper with sugar" and then they started selling milkshakes with 30g of sugar in them for £1.40 and smoothies that had loads of sugar in anyway, even if it was natural. Suuuuure, for our health. Most of us ended up not drinking the overpriced stuff in school and crapped out due to lack of sugar midway through the day, drove the teachers nuts.

Just another way of shafting us like the £20 riculously thin jumpers for PE. I swear we all got hypothermia around winter time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I think you'll find most shool kids are of the "not a single fu(k is given" type.

Why is McD's, Subways (nomcious), KFC etc all popular in the UK and USA? People prefer the food either out of ignorance or convenience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending