The Student Room Group

Winstanley College

Hi, I know this Is a super long shot but im hoping a current / former student of Winstanley College will stumble across this. I missed out on the open evening for the college so didn't get a chance to look round the college, so I have a few questions and id really appreciate any answers for any of the questions . For context, I am also applying to Cardinal Newman College, Runshaw (yet to apply) a maths college and a few more but mainly choosing between Newman and Winstanley. I have chosen Maths, Physics, Computer science and Further Maths

What catering is there at Winstanley? I literally couldn't find anything about this on the website

How big are the class sizes? and what is the student - teacher ratio? (just roughly obviously)

Is the teaching and support good? Seems like a bit of a stupid question but worth asking. Are teachers good and genuinely passionate and willing to go out of their way to help students?

Are the facilities good in general? Ive seen the videos in the virtual tour and they seem to be nice but might as well ask while im here

Lastly, how many frees do you get per week if you do 4 subjects or 3 subjects?

Thank you :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by homeless-ruminat
Hi, I know this Is a super long shot but im hoping a current / former student of Winstanley College will stumble across this. I missed out on the open evening for the college so didn't get a chance to look round the college, so I have a few questions and id really appreciate any answers for any of the questions . For context, I am also applying to Cardinal Newman College, Runshaw (yet to apply) a maths college and a few more but mainly choosing between Newman and Winstanley. I have chosen Maths, Physics, Computer science and Further Maths

What catering is there at Winstanley? I literally couldn't find anything about this on the website

How big are the class sizes? and what is the student - teacher ratio? (just roughly obviously)

Is the teaching and support good? Seems like a bit of a stupid question but worth asking. Are teachers good and genuinely passionate and willing to go out of their way to help students?

Are the facilities good in general? Ive seen the videos in the virtual tour and they seem to be nice but might as well ask while im here

Hi, I’m a current yr 13 student at Winstanley college. I do maths, physics and geology.

Firstly, there is a canteen that serves hot food and prepared food but if you don’t fancy it there is a vending machine and a co op down the road.

The average class size would be around 25 I think. As for the student to teacher ratio I don’t have a clue, there is a lot of maths and science teachers but also a lot of maths students.

The teaching support is great, the teachers are good and will go out of their way to help you if you ask. And if you have any problems you can talk to an assigned personal tutor for help.

Currently the timetable is 6 blocks a day except for Wednesday, this means if you do three subjects you can have up to 3 hours free but usually you’ll only have 2 hours a day which you can spend with friends or in the library.

One last note i have is that there is a lot of students and not a lot of seating places. So it is busy and getting a table in your frees is hard ( I mostly sit on the floor in the science department and so do many others).

I have no idea about Newman, but Winstanley is decent for maths and physics.
Original post by shau_tea
Hi, I’m a current yr 13 student at Winstanley college. I do maths, physics and geology.
Firstly, there is a canteen that serves hot food and prepared food but if you don’t fancy it there is a vending machine and a co op down the road.
The average class size would be around 25 I think. As for the student to teacher ratio I don’t have a clue, there is a lot of maths and science teachers but also a lot of maths students.
The teaching support is great, the teachers are good and will go out of their way to help you if you ask. And if you have any problems you can talk to an assigned personal tutor for help.
Currently the timetable is 6 blocks a day except for Wednesday, this means if you do three subjects you can have up to 3 hours free but usually you’ll only have 2 hours a day which you can spend with friends or in the library.
One last note i have is that there is a lot of students and not a lot of seating places. So it is busy and getting a table in your frees is hard ( I mostly sit on the floor in the science department and so do many others).
I have no idea about Newman, but Winstanley is decent for maths and physics.
Thank you so much for the response, I appreciate it

I know you mentioned that the college has a canteen, is the food food and also is there any other food outlets/shops on the campus?

Also, would you say the people there are good? Like is it rough or good?

Lastly, would you just say its a good learning environment in general, are students supported in their applications to uni and their exams and stuff.

Again, thanks :smile:
Original post by homeless-ruminat
Unless you want constant parking stress I would recommend not coming here. They have maximum 150 spaces but over subscribe students every year then blame us for the parking issues. Parking has been an issue for years and they still refuse to do anything about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending