The Student Room Group

What are the most effective Hayfever tablets available

I suffer really bad from hayfever, I usually buy the cheap Tesco brand ones but they are not working at all... Does anybody know which brand tablets are the strongest and most effective?

Thank You!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Different things work for different people I think...none of the tablets seem to do much for me tbh, but loratadine works best out of the ones I've tried. As well as a tablet a day, I use beclometasone nose spray twice a day and that is far more effective, especially after I've been taking it for a few weeks.
Reply 2
When I used to get hayfever, I found Benedryl (however you spell it) to be the best. However, they're sooo expensive, If you qualify for free prescriptions I would go to the docs and they'll sort you the best ones for you. I used to get really bad eyes so they sorted me out these eye drops that were unbelievable!
Reply 3
Benadryl is the only medication that works for me the others seem to be fairly ineffectual, but I guess the impact may differ depending on the person.

For a long term solution, the NHS was offering something called Grazax which worked similarly to a vaccine, in as much as a some pollen was included so over time you become immune, but I'm not sure if it is still available.
Reply 4
Your diet can have a bit of an effect as well; stocking up on more fruit, veg and local honey especially.
Reply 5
Well what exactly are you taking at the moment? It's probably loratadine or cetirizine hydrochloride and most of the main brands contain exactly the same thing in the same doses. If you're currently trying cetirizine it's worth switching and trying loratadine (I think tesco do their own version of both though so no point forking out on the expensive stuff), and vice-versa.

Otherwise, Benadryl contains acrivastine and Piriton contains chlorphenamine maleate so those are two you could try instead.

Do give them time to work though; it can take several days of taking them once a day before they properly kick in-it won't do a lot of good to just take them sporadically when you think you need them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I personally find that ceterzine hydrochoride works really well for me, whereas lotradine doesn't, so it might be a matter of trying things out for a while and see what works for you. There is also another one that is in the benylin original cough syrup, called diphenhydramine - I find it works really well for me if nothing else is helping me, but be careful with it as it can make you very drowsy.
Cetirizine Hydrochloride works really well for me :smile:
Reply 8
It's the active ingredient that is important, not the brand. So it won't matter that it's Tescos own that you're taking, it'll be the active ingredient that doesn't agree with you. Pop into a pharmacy and ask to speak to the pharmacist (make sure you take note of the active ingredient of the tablets you're already taking) and see if they can suggest any others that might work better. It's probably just a case of trying a few and finding one that works. You might need to supplement it with nasal sprays and eye drops too.
Reply 9
Original post by Kate.
Different things work for different people I think...none of the tablets seem to do much for me tbh, but loratadine works best out of the ones I've tried. As well as a tablet a day, I use beclometasone nose spray twice a day and that is far more effective, especially after I've been taking it for a few weeks.

You are a life saver! The nose spray actually works for me!

Thank You!
I used cetirizine hydrochloride tablets last year- but ended up needing an inhaler, eye drops and a nasal spray as well.

Using fexofenadine hydrochloride now and it's working well.
Reply 11
I use piriton and it always works well for me, nothing else touches it! I take it nealy all year round. I am stupid and always buy piriton and have never tried the cheaper generic cetirizine.
Reply 12
Hello try cutting down on dairy food especially cheese I can't believe how well it worked for me. I do miss cheese all hay fever season but symptoms are so much reduced its worth it.
Hope it works for you should see improvement in 24 hours so you will know pretty quickly if your one of those people whose hay fever is triggered by dairy.
Ok since this is the student room I might as well try and be a smart ass and tell everyone about hayfever.

Hayfever is an allergy caused by pollen. Pollen unfortunatly is everywhere around us. When this pollen enters the body, your body thinks its evil an trys to counter it by releasing antibodies called 'Immunoglobulin E'(IgE). IgE goes around the body and tries to get rid of the pollen and most of the time fails miserably. I got taught all about this by my private ENT doctor who just also happens to be the deputy director of Barts health university school thing. He did an allergy test on my too see if it actually was pollen that was causing my allergies and not just something simple like fruit or anything like that. When the test results came back, he expalined to me that depending on how bad your hayfever is, your body produces larger amounts of IgE. In my Blood's he found that i had an excess of <100 IgE per i think it was like 1ml of blood. He said that is one of the worst you could ever possibly get. Infact he said it was so high that he could not even grade how bad my hayfever was. The amount of IgE present is graded in grades from 1-6(1 being the lowest and 6 the highest). He had to give me grade six and started my on what he called 'serious' meds. Besides the meds, he explained to me that there are more permenant solution to fixing the hayfever. He explained to me that the pollen mainly enters through the nose and the reactions start by the pollen coming into contact with skin cells in the nose. He said that he could prefrom a surgical procedure where he would put me under general anesthetic and destory all the skin cells inside my nose that cause the reaction using a powerful laser. He said it would almost completly solve the hafever issues but I would have to have the procedure repeated every couple of years(or even months) becasue the skin cells grow back through the 'mitosis' procedure...

So thats my my story on hayfever so far. The meds he gave me i will admmit are serious stuff and you cant just get it over the counter. I dont think the NHS perscribes them either(atleast not that i know of). The pills are called Fexofenadine. You can get them in 120mg and 180mg depending how bad your hayfever is. He also prescribed me a steriod nasal spray to stop my from sneezing and my nose from blocking up/running which also works very well(especially if you spray some before you go to sleep if you suffer at night). I would seriously recomend you get the Fexofenadine pills becasue they work sooooo much better than that cetrizine ****. If you cant then try and aquire a high dosage of Loratadine pill. The seemed to work better than any other conventional pill before i decided to get my hayfever finally sorted for once.

Hope this helps you understand stuff more. Try and get an allergy test done to see how bad your hayfever is. That way you can see about different procedures to actually fix it more permantly. Also, the NHS is terrible. Just go Bupa private and you will be taken good care of, its worth the money and you get a much better service and treatment by people who actually know what they are doing, not some guy who is talking to 6 other people whilst dealing with you.

:smile:

More info on the allergy stuff(its worth looking at, helps you understand more):
http://www.rcpath.org/Resources/RCPath/Migrated%20Resources/Documents/A/allergy_doc.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
OMG I cannot believe that you let a surgeon treat your allergy with a surgical procedure. Hello!!! Surgeons always try to heal with steel but you will still be allergic. You need to see an immunologist or allergist not a flipping surgeon! The only long term proven effective treatment for grass pollen allergy is immunotherapy NOT SURGERY. What about your itchy eyes/ears/mouth is he going to cut these out too?
In the UK the only licensed tablet immunotherapy is Grazax. It is effective and available on prescription so if you are in Wales or NI you will get it free.. A three year course of one tab per day and that's it, rather than a life time of multiple cocktails of stuff bought from the pharmacy or prescriptions from a non allergist or someone handy with a scalpel.

Hayfever is an allergy caused by pollen. Pollen unfortunatly is everywhere around us. When this pollen enters the body, your body thinks its evil an trys to counter it by releasing antibodies called 'Immunoglobulin E'(IgE). IgE goes around the body and tries to get rid of the pollen and most of the time fails miserably. I got taught all about this by my private ENT doctor who just also happens to be the deputy director of Barts health university school thing. He did an allergy test on my too see if it actually was pollen that was causing my allergies and not just something simple like fruit or anything like that. When the test results came back, he expalined to me that depending on how bad your hayfever is, your body produces larger amounts of IgE. In my Blood's he found that i had an excess of <100 IgE per i think it was like 1ml of blood. He said that is one of the worst you could ever possibly get. Infact he said it was so high that he could not even grade how bad my hayfever was. The amount of IgE present is graded in grades from 1-6(1 being the lowest and 6 the highest). He had to give me grade six and started my on what he called 'serious' meds. Besides the meds, he explained to me that there are more permenant solution to fixing the hayfever. He explained to me that the pollen mainly enters through the nose and the reactions start by the pollen coming into contact with skin cells in the nose. He said that he could prefrom a surgical procedure where he would put me under general anesthetic and destory all the skin cells inside my nose that cause the reaction using a powerful laser. He said it would almost completly solve the hafever issues but I would have to have the procedure repeated every couple of years(or even months) becasue the skin cells grow back through the 'mitosis' procedure...

So thats my my story on hayfever so far. The meds he gave me i will admmit are serious stuff and you cant just get it over the counter. I dont think the NHS perscribes them either(atleast not that i know of). The pills are called Fexofenadine. You can get them in 120mg and 180mg depending how bad your hayfever is. He also prescribed me a steriod nasal spray to stop my from sneezing and my nose from blocking up/running which also works very well(especially if you spray some before you go to sleep if you suffer at night). I would seriously recomend you get the Fexofenadine pills becasue they work sooooo much better than that cetrizine ****. If you cant then try and aquire a high dosage of Loratadine pill. The seemed to work better than any other conventional pill before i decided to get my hayfever finally sorted for once.

Hope this helps you understand stuff more. Try and get an allergy test done to see how bad your hayfever is. That way you can see about different procedures to actually fix it more permantly. Also, the NHS is terrible. Just go Bupa private and you will be taken good care of, its worth the money and you get a much better service and treatment by people who actually know what they are doing, not some guy who is talking to 6 other people whilst dealing with you.

:smile:

More info on the allergy stuff(its worth looking at, helps you understand more):
http://www.rcpath.org/Resources/RCPath/Migrated%20Resources/Documents/A/allergy_doc.pdf
Omg if I found a cure then my life would be complete. Any hay fever sufferers out there, I feel your pain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Has anyone tried an ioniser in their room?

I just wrote another post on the benefits of ionisers (preferable on a air purifier or dehumidifier with an anti-bacterial filter).

Basically the air is full of positive ions such as dirt and pollens (ie hay fever triggers) which makes breathing difficult. An ioniser releases negative ions into the air which attach themselves onto the positive ions and drags them down to the ground.

The result is a lower level of positive ions in the air which equals reduced hay fever symptoms.
Still having hayfever? Sure it isn't a cold or something?
Best hayfever tablets I've ever taken was the antidepressant mirtazapine. I had zero hayfever symptoms for the 4 years I took it (I actually thought I'd grown out of hayfever) but when I stopped the mirtazapine the hayfever came back. It's also good for helping you sleep.
Reply 19
Original post by james3334
I suffer really bad from hayfever, I usually buy the cheap Tesco brand ones but they are not working at all... Does anybody know which brand tablets are the strongest and most effective?

Thank You!

I use Benadryl (cetirizine hydrochloride) for my hayfever, and it's usually pretty effective. Of course it doesn't totally alleviate the symptoms, but there's a definite improvement.

Quick Reply

Latest