The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester FAQ - almost everything you've ever wanted to know about UoM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sobii19
Hey!

I've been given a conditional offer at UoM for Mental Health Nursing, and I've applied for my accommodation and everything but I have been informed that my terms are extended.. They aren't the usual terms that everyone else has to I have to stay longer. Has anyone else had this problem.. what did you do?
I've contacted the accommodations office where I applied to and let them know. Does it affect it? Will they void my contract?? :frown:

Help please!

thank yoo :smile:

Hi,

So long as you are on a 40 week contract, then you can stay over Christmas & Easter anyway. The rental term then continues to somewhere around 21st June, which is about two weeks after everyone else finishes their exams and goes home.

With regards to the summer, your second year house contract will start on 1st July, but do make sure that they will allow you to move in then (some will, some wont, and you normally only pay half rent over the summer). To bridge the ~10 day gap, you can stay in halls (speak to reception about this), though you may have to move flats / halls as they like to amalgamate people into a few flats for the summer.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by sobii19
Hey!

I've been given a conditional offer at UoM for Mental Health Nursing, and I've applied for my accommodation and everything but I have been informed that my terms are extended.. They aren't the usual terms that everyone else has to I have to stay longer. Has anyone else had this problem.. what did you do?
I've contacted the accommodations office where I applied to and let them know. Does it affect it? Will they void my contract?? :frown:

Help please!

thank yoo :smile:

Double check and contact them but usually the contract is automatically extended for nursing students according to my nurse friends. You may have to move flats because they usually group all the nurses and other medics staying into one building to let out/clean/renovate the other rooms, but it should be fine.
Reply 42
I wasn't sure whether to make a separate thread or just to post it on here so I'll just go with it and hope I get a response :smile:

I've recently received an offer from UoM to study Ancient History, which I am ecstatic about. However, since originally submitting my UCAS application, I've managed to achieve much better grades than predicted and would like to see whether it would be possible to make a transfer on to the standard History BA instead. Is this possible? Would it be done internally? And if not, would I be able to apply to UoM through adjustment? I was a little skeptical about adjustment considering History is a very popular degree. Any advice would be appreciated and usually I'd have just emailed admissions but I don't want it to come off like I'm unhappy with my current offer.

Marc
Original post by MarcJBrown
I wasn't sure whether to make a separate thread or just to post it on here so I'll just go with it and hope I get a response :smile:

I've recently received an offer from UoM to study Ancient History, which I am ecstatic about. However, since originally submitting my UCAS application, I've managed to achieve much better grades than predicted and would like to see whether it would be possible to make a transfer on to the standard History BA instead. Is this possible? Would it be done internally? And if not, would I be able to apply to UoM through adjustment? I was a little skeptical about adjustment considering History is a very popular degree. Any advice would be appreciated and usually I'd have just emailed admissions but I don't want it to come off like I'm unhappy with my current offer.

Marc

Congratulations on improving your grades.

This is the sort of thing that would be done internally. I would suggest emailing the department, thanking them for their offer, and then asking about the possibility of swapping, acknowledging the possibility of waiting to see if places crop up on results day.

Like all universities Manchester has seen a drop in applicants over the last couple of years, and they also won't want you to go elsewhere. In addition, they won't want you to drop out midway through your degree, and they cannot withdraw your offer for Ancient History now that they have given it to you. I suspect that the request will be honoured, but it's worth sending a really nice email about it.
Are all of the bursaries/scholarships available given on the Uni's website or are there others that are less well known?
Original post by elitemodella
Are all of the bursaries/scholarships available given on the Uni's website or are there others that are less well known?

As far as I'm aware they're all on the website. There are a few prizes handed out by departments for things like the best grades amongst all first years, but they're clearly not something you could rely on and the amounts aren't large.
Hey, i'm going to firm manchester but i'm not sure what accomodation to book :s-smilie: is the accomodation in fallowfields campus too far away from where i'll be studying?? Cos i like the look of some there
Original post by Stephanie172
Hey, i'm going to firm manchester but i'm not sure what accomodation to book :s-smilie: is the accomodation in fallowfields campus too far away from where i'll be studying?? Cos i like the look of some there

Have a read of the FAQ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577
Reply 48
Does anyone know how I can get involved in the University football team? If I have a contract with a team abroad will I have to get a release form in order to play?
Original post by Okupator
Does anyone know how I can get involved in the University football team? If I have a contract with a team abroad will I have to get a release form in order to play?

Release forms and football are something of a mystery to me, so I would suggest talking to both your current team and the uni team about it.

Their details are as follows

Club Name: The University of Manchester Men's Football Club
Club Contact:
James Thwaite
email:
[email protected]
phone:
07772 559 984
Facebook
: University of Manchester Men's Football Club
Teams:
1st (Northern Premiership), 2nd (Northern 2A), 3rd (Northern 4A), 4th (Northern 4C)
About the club: Our Head Coach, Stuart Leicester, has worked for Manchester United for a number of years and he was awarded AU Coach of The Year in 2007-08 and 2011*-12. With Stuart, every player in the club receives top quality coaching and expert advice throughout their time at University. We have trained at the Manchester United training facility in Carrington and received coaching from the likes of Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs and Ole Gunner Solskjaer. This is something we have thoroughly enjoyed and a relationship which will continue for years to come. For trials information see our Official Facebook page.

Best achievement: Coupled with our on field success, the club has an active social scene and holds numerous events throughout the year. Our attitude of work hard play hard is adapted by all members and the club is an excellent place to meet people and forge strong friendships, as well as having a great standard of football. Whilst dominating life on the field, we still smash life off it! Best AU fancy dress, best chat, bare banter and general ambassadors for purple love.

http://www.sport.manchester.ac.uk/athletic-union
Reply 50

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hey,
I recently applied for accomodation but I think I put them in the wrong order of preference. However I can't really know whether I did it wrong because my e-accomodation account doesn't show which Halls I applied to and in which order of preference I did put them. Is there any way I can check that without calling the accomodation office?
Original post by emilyjcastles
Heyyyy I just firmed Manchester to study English, I need AAA and I was just wondering whether anyone has not met their requirements and still gotten in?? (just curious :wink: )

I know that I'm not answering your question but I'm going to firm for English too! I've hardly seen anyone on any of the threads for English :frown: have you applied to the straight English Lit course? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elizabeth27ward
I know that I'm not answering your question but I'm going to firm for English too! I've hardly seen anyone on any of the threads for English :frown: have you applied to the straight English Lit course? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! And yes I have :biggrin: what about you? Have you done your accommodation yet?
Hey! And yes I have :biggrin: what about you? Have you done your accommodation yet?

Ah yay finally someone doing English Lit too! No I haven't yet, I really like the look of the traditional halls though like Ashburne :smile: have you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah yay finally someone doing English Lit too! No I haven't yet, I really like the look of the traditional halls though like Ashburne :smile: have you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG I have just done my accommodation and put Ashburne as my first aha! Woolton second, Sheavyn House 3rd! - I'm all about old looking buildings too - guess it's a literature-student thing :wink: Do you live far from Manchester? I'm from Birmingham :smile:
Does anyone know how to apply for the Manchester bursery?
The website gives a lot of info about it, but it doesn't mention anywhere about how you request or apply to receive it!
OMG I have just done my accommodation and put Ashburne as my first aha! Woolton second, Sheavyn House 3rd! - I'm all about old looking buildings too - guess it's a literature-student thing :wink: Do you live far from Manchester? I'm from Birmingham :smile:

No way! This is amazing haha :biggrin: I didn't think I'd find anyone who wanted the same as me because on the accommodation thread I couldn't find anyone!

I haven't seen any of the accommodation yet but I'm going to the English visit day next Wednesday and they've managed to sort out for me to see Ashburne, Woolton, Dalton-Ellis and Hulme Hall I think.. Ashburne is definitely looking like my favourite though!!

I'm from Liverpool so pretty close but it's far enough away as well haha! Have you firmed yet? I'm too scared to :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No way! This is amazing haha :biggrin: I didn't think I'd find anyone who wanted the same as me because on the accommodation thread I couldn't find anyone!

I haven't seen any of the accommodation yet but I'm going to the English visit day next Wednesday and they've managed to sort out for me to see Ashburne, Woolton, Dalton-Ellis and Hulme Hall I think.. Ashburne is definitely looking like my favourite though!!

I'm from Liverpool so pretty close but it's far enough away as well haha! Have you firmed yet? I'm too scared to :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know aha! xD

And oooo I see, well I visited all of those aha! Loved Ashburne and Woolton, Hulme Hall was lovely but I decided I didn't really like Victoria Park as an area, and Dalton-Ellis was a mega disappointment and didn't look anything like its pictures D: (but just my opinion :wink: ) And I have!! Just trying to get my student finance done now - oh the joys.... :biggrin:
I know aha! xD

And oooo I see, well I visited all of those aha! Loved Ashburne and Woolton, Hulme Hall was lovely but I decided I didn't really like Victoria Park as an area, and Dalton-Ellis was a mega disappointment and didn't look anything like its pictures D: (but just my opinion :wink: ) And I have!! Just trying to get my student finance done now - oh the joys.... :biggrin:

Haha I see! I love the whole fallowfield campus and that it can be social when I'm in the mood to be sociable and nice and calm in Ashburne! Ahh I haven't applied for student finance yet is it difficult? And also what grades did they offer you? I hope they'll still take me if I majorly screw up my exams in the summer!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending