The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester FAQ - almost everything you've ever wanted to know about UoM

The Big, Fat Manchester FAQ
by Origami Bullets

I've covered all the questions I can think of that are commonly asked in the UoM forum, but if you've got any other questions / spot any glaring errors or omissions, then please post below and I'll incorporate it into the post.

Looking for the stuff on accommodation? That's now in this thread

Anyway, here goes!

Visiting the University & Halls

Spoiler

Freshers Week (sorry, Welcome Week in Manchester parlance)

Spoiler

Your first week at Manchester (drunken bits notwithstanding)

Spoiler

Money, Money, Money

Spoiler

Internet & laptops

Spoiler

OMG I don't think I'm going to meet my offer!!1!!!

Spoiler

Students' Union, Clubs and Societies

Spoiler

Libraries

Spoiler

Manchester is big! Will I get lost?

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

[reserve post]
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
This was very helpful!! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
What about scholarships offered by the university. I recieved the grades needed for a small scholarship at manchester but I haven't heard anything since.. only what is written on the manchester website
When do we get told if we've got a bursary?
Original post by Alirh
What about scholarships offered by the university. I recieved the grades needed for a small scholarship at manchester but I haven't heard anything since.. only what is written on the manchester website

Which scholarship is this? Is it competitive, or does everyone who gets the grades get the scholarship? If it's the former, contact the relevant department. If it's the latter, hold on tight.

Original post by Uncertainty
When do we get told if we've got a bursary?

If you have an income below the threshold, then you will get the bursary. As far as I know, no one has had their bursary letter yet - including me.
Reply 6
Are there any societies for track events like the 100 or 200m races? All I've found on the sports website is the Athletics & Cross Country Club.
Original post by lumzz
Are there any societies for track events like the 100 or 200m races? All I've found on the sports website is the Athletics & Cross Country Club.

I think the Athletics club will include sprint running? You'll be able to go along and find out at Freshers Fair (NB there are two bits to freshers fair - the non-sport bit in the Academy, and the sporty bit in the union).
Reply 8
Would arriving on the Sunday be just awful? My parents are working any other time but I feel like it might be a bit late, everyone will know each other etc...
Original post by CaaBaa
Would arriving on the Sunday be just awful? My parents are working any other time but I feel like it might be a bit late, everyone will know each other etc...

No, not at all. Most of my eight person flat arrived on Sunday. One even arrived and Friday to dump his stuff and didn't come back again until Sunday, which was weird... You've still got the rest of the year to get to know them!
Reply 10
Original post by ellakrystina
No, not at all. Most of my eight person flat arrived on Sunday. One even arrived and Friday to dump his stuff and didn't come back again until Sunday, which was weird... You've still got the rest of the year to get to know them!

Hahaha that's what my plan is! How is that weird??? My plan is to pick my room key up and ID card on the 13th, drop some of my stuff off, then move in a few days later. I do live in Manchester already though. :smile:
Reply 11
Thanks, ellakrystina! :smile:
Just wondering, are there any lectures we need to attend during welcome week? Or classes or anything? :}
Original post by CaaBaa
Thanks, ellakrystina! :smile:
Just wondering, are there any lectures we need to attend during welcome week? Or classes or anything? :}

This is entirely course dependent. I think pretty much all of them have introductory lectures, where they go through modules, meeting staff, peer mentors and just general introductions to the departments/school.Some courses have lectures, tests and workshops during Fresher's week, I've heard this is common for engineering and I know it happens in some of the Languages departments. You will probably also have a meeting with your academic advisor, 'welcome parties' for your course and maybe various tours for your department ( for example we had one for the language centre.) I know in the languages dept we had to go to meetings to sort out seminar times too.

Some of them are absolutely useless where as others are helpful, if I'm honest I can't remember half of what was said at my introductory talks. However I really would attend anyway, as alot are compulsory and it's not really the right attitude to have bunking off from the start of freshers. You will usually be emailed or posted a timetable and info pack regarding all this within the next few weeks.
(edited 11 years ago)
I've just gone and done the whole process myself. However, it's worked for me (I'm a second year though) and frankly I'm out of ideas on this one, unless there was an option other that 'set up installment plan'.

Have another go in the morning (registration was only ever meant to open on the 3rd) and if not contact the uni.
Reply 14
Thanks again! I wasn't planning on missing anything! Just wanted to know if we were expected to jump right in :L last minute worries!
Reply 15
Where are these nine steps?
Original post by kerb123
Where are these nine steps?

Confirming your contact details, course details, tuition fee payment etc. Can't remember them all exactly.
Reply 17
is anyon else stuck on step 3 - where there is only one bursary option in tuition fee discount
somene help me plz
and am i the only one confused with the lack of clarity so far - no email to remind us to register etc etc
Reply 18
Original post by llama-beans
Confirming your contact details, course details, tuition fee payment etc. Can't remember them all exactly.

Is it the "registration" bit under my services?
Original post by kerb123
Is it the "registration" bit under my services?

Yeah.

It was very simple for me going into final year - nothing has changed since last time - and I seem to remember it being relatively straightforward when I started. From what I remember about starting, most people had problems with the tuition fee section because the student finance option doesn't appear properly. It should do at some point (they recommended to us to wait a few days while it all got sorted) but if it isn't then it's fairly easy to finish registration when you arrive; just bring your confirmation letter from the loans people and get in the queue at Whitworth Hall!

Quick Reply

Latest