The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Changing uni

Hi, so the university of Manchester has been my dream uni since always. By some reasons I submitted late application last year that's why I got rejected from there. I am on my first year of doing bachelor in engineering in a uni (can't mention the name), but I really want to change. My question is, is there any option that for secpnd year of my course I apply for UoM and if I get rejected then remain here on this uni? If yes then what's the method? Will it affect to student finance?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so the university of Manchester has been my dream uni since always. By some reasons I submitted late application last year that's why I got rejected from there. I am on my first year of doing bachelor in engineering in a uni (can't mention the name), but I really want to change. My question is, is there any option that for secpnd year of my course I apply for UoM and if I get rejected then remain here on this uni? If yes then what's the method? Will it affect to student finance?

Hey,

I actually transferred uni between first and second year a few years ago so hopefully can offer some insight! I would say the best thing to do first is to get in contact with the UoM admissions about whether it would even be possible for you to transfer into the second year there. From my experience, they would advise you on their process and you'd get a conditional offer (I think I had to get a 2:1 in my first year for my transfer to be accepted, but this won't be the same everywhere).

It's only once they had accepted me that I sorted leaving my previous uni, so you would still be able to stay if your transfer was not accepted. In regards to your last question, no it shouldn't affect student finance. If you're doing the same length course, moving into the second year (which you would be doing anyway at your current uni), your finance would be the same. Pretty sure you just have to inform them obviously.

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Hey,

I actually transferred uni between first and second year a few years ago so hopefully can offer some insight! I would say the best thing to do first is to get in contact with the UoM admissions about whether it would even be possible for you to transfer into the second year there. From my experience, they would advise you on their process and you'd get a conditional offer (I think I had to get a 2:1 in my first year for my transfer to be accepted, but this won't be the same everywhere).

It's only once they had accepted me that I sorted leaving my previous uni, so you would still be able to stay if your transfer was not accepted. In regards to your last question, no it shouldn't affect student finance. If you're doing the same length course, moving into the second year (which you would be doing anyway at your current uni), your finance would be the same. Pretty sure you just have to inform them obviously.

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)

Thanks a lot for the advice.
Reply 3
The above advice is right, but be aware that Manchester does not usually accept any transfers into any Engineering programme
Transferring is your worst option as it happens rarely. If you really truly want to go to Manchester you should drop out now and reapply before it irreversibly affects your SFE funding.
Reply 5
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Transferring is your worst option as it happens rarely. If you really truly want to go to Manchester you should drop out now and reapply before it irreversibly affects your SFE funding.

Idk what to do, some people say it will affect my student loan and some says it doesn't.
Original post by Anonymous
Idk what to do, some people say it will affect my student loan and some says it doesn't.

There are some courses which are exceptions but typically SFE gives you funding for the length of your course + 1 gift year. So if you drop out now you will have used only your 1 gift year and SFE will still fund your next course. If you stay 2 years and drop out you will have used 2 years and then it becomes more complicated with SFE then only part funding another degree, and in a lot of cases you’d have to fund the first year yourself. So if you want to drop out you need to make that decision before the end of first year.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending