The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University of Manchester: Physics interview.

I’ve wanted to study physics with astro at Manchester since the start of Year 11 and am now in year 13, just about to hand in my UCAS application. I only found out today that they hold interviews. I’m slightly freaking out now because I have done like 0 preparation for this and I’m just wandering if there’s anyone that’s been through this process and could tell me roughly what it entails? Thanks :smile:)
Original post by Alect704
I’ve wanted to study physics with astro at Manchester since the start of Year 11 and am now in year 13, just about to hand in my UCAS application. I only found out today that they hold interviews. I’m slightly freaking out now because I have done like 0 preparation for this and I’m just wandering if there’s anyone that’s been through this process and could tell me roughly what it entails? Thanks :smile:)

Hey there, i am also wanting to study physics at Manchester but they have already sent me an invitation to an interview in February (as i applied early for Oxford). From what Ive heard, they normally interview you with the intention to send you an offer so its more like an informal thing to get to know you, although they will test you with a few A-level style questions. But i think that almost all people who get interviews, get offers. So overall not too much to worry about, just present yourself well and be friendly. :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by SamCampbell1
Hey there, i am also wanting to study physics at Manchester but they have already sent me an invitation to an interview in February (as i applied early for Oxford). From what Ive heard, they normally interview you with the intention to send you an offer so its more like an informal thing to get to know you, although they will test you with a few A-level style questions. But i think that almost all people who get interviews, get offers. So overall not too much to worry about, just present yourself well and be friendly. :smile:

Phew! Thank you so much and good luck! 😊
Original post by Alect704

I got an offer from UOM to study physics last year, they said they'd have interviews but I didn't end up having to attend one so don't be too stressed about it for now
(edited 5 months ago)
What would happen if you mess up a question, would they retract the offer?
Original post by Anonymous #1
What would happen if you mess up a question, would they retract the offer?

Normally if you get an interview it essentially means you get the offer. From what I have heard the interviews at UOM are informal from the ones I've heard about, but I applied last year and got in and they said they would be holding interviews but it never occurred so don't stress yourself about it. It isn't like Oxford or Cambridge interviews where its super technical so don't worry they more just want to get to know you on an informal basis.
Reply 6
There was a freedom of information request sent a while back which showed that literally everyone who attended the interview received an offer.
Original post by Sinnoh
There was a freedom of information request sent a while back which showed that literally everyone who attended the interview received an offer.

that data was from 2017 and 2018 which is quite old tbf
Will they offer if you don’t attend interview? It’s going to cost my parents an absolute fortune for me to attend one
Original post by Anonymous #2
Will they offer if you don’t attend interview? It’s going to cost my parents an absolute fortune for me to attend one

I just got an email from UoM saying that they will pay for my travel tickets and that they will book it for me, so ig it will be a tiny bit cheaper since your parents don't have to cover your cost.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I just got an email from UoM saying that they will pay for my travel tickets and that they will book it for me, so ig it will be a tiny bit cheaper since your parents don't have to cover your cost.

It seems incredibly wasteful of time and money - not to mention the environmental impact - to travel 700 miles for a formality - I wonder if they would interview online???
Original post by Anonymous #2
It seems incredibly wasteful of time and money - not to mention the environmental impact - to travel 700 miles for a formality - I wonder if they would interview online???

I would say email them and find out. Also 700 miles😭😭 where are u coming from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending