The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Maths Unit 3 19/06/2012 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

F*ck, I got 69/80... needed 82.5% for A*, now thats over 86% but according to some people That won't be enough as they will raise boundaries. I made retarded mistakes, like I thought the divide sign was a plus sign and I did the whole cone question as you would for a cylinder... Please tell me I should be ok with 69... I got 116/120 and 114/120 in the other units.
Original post by scienceboy16
Sorry, i didn't quite understand?

misquoted sorry -.-
Look, the mark you needed for an A* in THIS EXAM, NOT OVERALL was 144/160 UMS. For an OVERALL grade, you needed 90% overall. Total marks for all 3 exams is 400, with the first two units both being out of 120 UMS, and unit 3 being out of 160. So if you add your unit 1 and 2 marks together, and minus it from 360 (90% of 400), then you'll know what you needed overall for an A*
Reply 783
So annoying, checked the unofficial mark scheme and got 79/80 because I forgot to use dotted lines in the inequalities question.
for the last question, i got 3.65 (3sf). it was an equilateral triangle i assumed the other side would also be 5.6, then i used the sine rule? /:
Original post by Boggieeiggob
Look, the mark you needed for an A* in THIS EXAM, NOT OVERALL was 144/160 UMS. For an OVERALL grade, you needed 90% overall. Total marks for all 3 exams is 400, with the first two units both being out of 120 UMS, and unit 3 being out of 160. So if you add your unit 1 and 2 marks together, and minus it from 360 (90% of 400), then you'll know what you needed overall for an A*

Obviously, but it's not that simple is it?! What about that variable called changing grade boundaries
Reply 786
Original post by Georgehigginson
F*ck, I got 69/80... needed 82.5% for A*, now thats over 86% but according to some people That won't be enough as they will raise boundaries. I made retarded mistakes, like I thought the divide sign was a plus sign and I did the whole cone question as you would for a cylinder... Please tell me I should be ok with 69... I got 116/120 and 114/120 in the other units.

lol 69
I have an unofficial mark scheme. How do i upload pdf. files?
Original post by Jasmine7239
for the last question, i got 3.65 (3sf). it was an equilateral triangle i assumed the other side would also be 5.6, then i used the sine rule? /:

initially i assumed stuff, but can you see now how it had to be cosine rule then sine rule?
Praying that the boundaries are not raised!!
Original post by cpfc08
That's what I did as well. I was taught it that way as well so i hope I get full marks

Me too, good luck for the results and I hope that we both get full marks for that question. :smile::smile:
Reply 791
Original post by johnj006
So annoying, checked the unofficial mark scheme and got 79/80 because I forgot to use dotted lines in the inequalities question.

yeah i did the same thing :/
Original post by Jasmine7239

you can't assume anything was an equilateral triangle, because it shows you that the sides and angles were different to each other for both triangles. Equilateral triangles will have 60 degrees for all it's internal angles and equal length sides.
So that mean you had to use cosine rule to work out one of the sides (can't remember what the questions labelled the sides as) which is a^2=b^2+c^2-2bcCosa.
After that, I'm not sure what you should have done because i tried sine rule (a/Sina=b/Sinb and re arranging it), then I tried going round the triangle using the Cos=Opposite/Hypotenuse etc. (SOH CAH TOA, if that makes any sense to you)
Reply 793
Original post by scienceboy16
There is a glimpse of hope :smile:

Hi I got 96 ums in both unit 1 and unit 2 the I counted about 60 in this paper, do you think that would scrape me enough UMS to get an A overall?
I have created an unofficial marksheme that u can use. If anyone spots any mistakes pleases PM me. I hope u guys found the exam good.
Reply 795
Original post by Boggieeiggob
you can't assume anything was an equilateral triangle, because it shows you that the sides and angles were different to each other for both triangles. Equilateral triangles will have 60 degrees for all it's internal angles and equal length sides.
So that mean you had to use cosine rule to work out one of the sides (can't remember what the questions labelled the sides as) which is a^2=b^2+c^2-2bcCosa.
After that, I'm not sure what you should have done because i tried sine rule (a/Sina=b/Sinb and re arranging it), then I tried going round the triangle using the Cos=Opposite/Hypotenuse etc. (SOH CAH TOA, if that makes any sense to you)

Using sine rule would be what you would need to do.
You can't use SOH CAH TOA as the triangle did not contain a right angle.
Original post by SaraBB
Hi I got 96 ums in both unit 1 and unit 2 the I counted about 60 in this paper, do you think that would scrape me enough UMS to get an A overall?

You need 320 UMS marks to get an A. So u already have 192 marks so in the Unit 3 paper u needed to get 128 UMS marks to get an A. that is about 64 points. So hopefully u got 64 points
Reply 797
Original post by lorobolorolo
You need 320 UMS marks to get an A. So u already have 192 marks so in the Unit 3 paper u needed to get 128 UMS marks to get an A. that is about 64 points. So hopefully u got 64 points

oh no, i don't think i got above 60, let alone 64, do you think they will have lowered the grade boundaries because we're the first year to sit the exam?
Reply 798
Original post by SaraBB
oh no, i don't think i got above 60, let alone 64, do you think they will have lowered the grade boundaries because we're the first year to sit the exam?

Probabally not :frown:
Reason being is that most of us found it easy
Unless thats just because everyone on here is really good lol
Original post by SaraBB

Well you got 312/320 ums at rock bottom however this could be more so there is a possibility, but I think you need to be ready to accept a B but there is every chance you could scrape an A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending