The Student Room Group

CCEA A2 Maths C4 1st June 2012

Scroll to see replies

For the turning points in 4ii, were they not (6,-2) and (-6,2)?
Reply 61
Original post by star_5
Tbh I think I'm the same as you, ie the only one I know for sure I did wrong is the volume of revolution one due to the wrong lower limit! But I keep worrying haha eg in the one mark part of the vectors question, I'm not sure if I wrote it right? At the end of the day I probably did? But I worry nonetheless haha

Go us! :biggrin: Yeah I always worry about simple things like that. Especially adding or subtracting without using a calculator (which I am incapable of doing)! It explains why I did so poorly in C1 last summer and had to resit in January :frown: what did you think of C3?
Reply 62
Original post by AislinnGribben
For the turning points in 4ii, were they not (6,-2) and (-6,2)?

Sorry for the gazillion edits, I am confusing myself! x = -3y ? Wasn't that the relationship? Then yes, I got (6, -2) and (-6, 2). :smile: Yikes my brain is fried!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Guin
Go us! :biggrin: Yeah I always worry about simple things like that. Especially adding or subtracting without using a calculator (which I am incapable of doing)! It explains why I did so poorly in C1 last summer and had to resit in January :frown: what did you think of C3?

C3 as in a couple of weeks ago? I thought it was much better than the one I did in January! Can't really say anything bad about the paper tbh! What about you?
Reply 64
Original post by star_5
C3 as in a couple of weeks ago? I thought it was much better than the one I did in January! Can't really say anything bad about the paper tbh! What about you?

I thought it was a really nice paper! :smile: Is your third module stats or mechanics? My school doesn't let pupils do maths exams in jan (that aren't resits) because they think it costs A*s. Totally suckish :frown:
Reply 65
Original post by Guin
I thought it was a really nice paper! :smile: Is your third module stats or mechanics? My school doesn't let pupils do maths exams in jan (that aren't resits) because they think it costs A*s. Totally suckish :frown:

Stats! S1 so it's technically an AS module!
Original post by sAuhsoj
256/15 pi
rounded to 53.6 cubic units (3sf)

OMG I got this too, and I suck at maths.
Okay I'm really trying to find marks.

First of all if you scribble nothing out, do they ignore the rubbish and mark what's right although you may have attempted it 3 times :L

If in Q4ii) i said dy/dx = 0, and x=-3y and y=-3x would I get any marks if I didnt get co-ordinates. I also wrote that the co-ordinate would be (x,-3y) (-3x,y) but I didn't know what they were, and don't say this was stupid, I'd very little time left at the end, so I panicked. I didn't actually get the answer, how many method marks?

If in Q5. I wrote the whole $1/cos4x^2 dx = $1/y dy
but then decided to mess it up will i get a mark for separating the variables.
And although I did the question completely wrong will I get a mark for the substitution.
I panicked on this question also at the end, then started writing it with no 4. And then came to answer of 1/2 +1/4cos2x
I got a c value which may be wrong, but will I get method marks for finding a c value anyway? like error carried forward

If in Q6, I couldn't work out anything but i wrote r = a + lamda(b) would i get a mark lol?

and for iii) if i wrote that a.b/|a|.|b| = costheta. and that a.b = |a|.|b|costheta, and that a.b=0 would i get any marks.

PLEASE I NEED ALL THE MARKS I CAN GET.
Reply 68
What would my A LEVEL grade for math and further math be using this years grade boundry?

i think i got

for further math
54 in d1
20 for m1
30 for fp1

for math i think i got
40 for c1
29 for s1
30 for c2

what would both my grade be for these subjects
Original post by ME RASHED
What would my A LEVEL grade for math and further math be using this years grade boundry?

i think i got

for further math
54 in d1
20 for m1
30 for fp1

for math i think i got
40 for c1
29 for s1
30 for c2

is that percent?! How are you doing Further Maths?!
Original post by ME RASHED

i think i got

for further math
54 in d1
20 for m1
30 for fp1

for math i think i got
40 for c1
29 for s1
30 for c2

Is M1 not an AS Module?
Reply 71
Original post by richard1123

Is M1 not an AS Module?

raw marks
oh lol was worried there, I don't know as I don't do further maths.

E for both, If they're each marked the way my papers marked.
are you CCEA?
Reply 74
Original post by richard1123
are you CCEA?

i am doing edexcel, i am doing art math and further math, i am only worried about further math, that i might get an u, what would i do with 2 as next year, could i enrol into a2 with only 2 as, and what would my grade be if you use this yerar grading system
i dont know how their grading works sorry. Never done an edexcel subject
Reply 76
Original post by maeve o
What raw mark on the paper do you guys think will get you 80 uniform marks with the scaling?

based on previous years, i would say you need around 84-86% on the test, but then this test was harder, and a lot of people may have been caught out by the vectors question and possibly the integral of lnx. I know that a few of my friends who got 90+ in the other tests struggled with this, and may have got around 70-80% on the test, but others did well. It all depends on other people, but I would guess that you might need around 82%, but its only a guess
Reply 77
Original post by star_5
Stats! S1 so it's technically an AS module!

So am I! stats is the worst module. Really dreading that exam, even though my maths teacher says that it's the exam most people get 100% in :frown:
Original post by wormyrug
based on previous years, i would say you need around 84-86% on the test, but then this test was harder, and a lot of people may have been caught out by the vectors question and possibly the integral of lnx. I know that a few of my friends who got 90+ in the other tests struggled with this, and may have got around 70-80% on the test, but others did well. It all depends on other people, but I would guess that you might need around 82%, but its only a guess

I'd say 65/75 which is 87% on the test, I think they scale 65/75 down to 80%. I don't think it matters, as it all evens out usually, people do well and just as many do badly. Also I think their scaling is consistent through the years, doesn't really matter how hard the paper is. That's what I think. But if I truly be honest... don't know.
Does anyone have any ideas of C4 scaling in the past? For some reason my teachers refuse to even speculate.

I was devastated after this paper, aiming for the A* but I really panicked near the end when I couldn't solve Q8. Also dropped marks in that vectors question, took it for granted when revising, and couldn't find the stat points in 5. Additionally in the first question I made a ridiculous + / - mistake which meant my part ii could only be solved using the quadratic formula, although I had working out showing the correct process until I was unable to factorise (anyone know how many marks I would lose out of 3 for this?).

Gave myself a prediction range of 50-58/75, as long as I don't get scaled down more than a mark or two I won't worry too much. But my previous maths papers have been scaled down 5-7% (from 80-90% raw) so I do worry about that.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending