The Student Room Group

What I've Learnt During Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wibletg
I'm going to second what you've said on Chemistry - so many people in year 12 took it thinking it's going to be exactly as it was in GCSE. It's not. It's really really not. We had a class of 20 and a class of 10. We're down to a single class of 10 by the very end of year 13. The other 20 either failed or scraped a pass (E's with maybe one D)

Memorisation with being able to adapt your knowledge with calculations with crappy how science works does NOT even begin to describe it. But it's my favourite subject by far despite it being a PITA. :redface:

That's a lot of failing! Yeah not a lot of Chemistry students are prepared and I definitely wasn't. I remember crying during some classes. I laugh about it now but back then, I couldn't believe what I'd gotten myself into.

What's a PITA?
Er, yeah, it's pretty much the same as school, but thanks for writing that.
Reply 42
i love the advice you've given but the only thing i'd critique is "only take it if you took Triple Science" for chemistry. i didnt do triple science and i got on just fine. chemistry is my favourite subject and although its been hard constantly throughout the year, i just took my AS and am hoping for at least a B in august.
Reply 43
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
That's a lot of failing! Yeah not a lot of Chemistry students are prepared and I definitely wasn't. I remember crying during some classes. I laugh about it now but back then, I couldn't believe what I'd gotten myself into.

What's a PITA?

Pain in the a*** :tongue:

Yeah, a lot of people gave up after the first January, but our school had a stupid policy of not letting anyone drop anything.
Original post by The Cornerstone
Nice post OP, I could have used this when I was in sixth form :tongue:

Specially agree with dealing with your teachers, you'll find that dealing with them in sixth form (especially during ucas apps) is like being a freaking diplomat and you somehow have to push them in getting what you want from them.

Thanks! Same! I still am in sixth form but if I could go back with this blog post, I so would!

:rofl: Most of my teachers were nice but I did worry about a couple of them writing unfavourable references.

I would say it was after UCAS applications were sent off, coursework handed in and UCAS offers coming in that dealing with my Englit teacher became difficult. He turned up to less than 60% of our classes, and when he did come, would disappear for half an hour, come back and pretend nothing had happened. And then when something went wrong, it was all our fault.

Problems with our teachers usually were the result of over-relaxed students, especially during History. But the Englit teacher just took the piss.
Original post by wibletg
Pain in the a*** :tongue:

Yeah, a lot of people gave up after the first January, but our school had a stupid policy of not letting anyone drop anything.

Oh right lol! I thought it was like bread or something! I was gonna say that was kinda a weird thing to refer chemistry to!

One girl in my class joined the army. She joked it was to get away from AS Chemistry.

Original post by kaypc
i love the advice you've given but the only thing i'd critique is "only take it if you took Triple Science" for chemistry. i didnt do triple science and i got on just fine. chemistry is my favourite subject and although its been hard constantly throughout the year, i just took my AS and am hoping for at least a B in august.

Good luck getting a B or even better!

I know not all double science students aren't going to struggle but in my experience, the best students were the ones who did triple. Anyway, my double sciences teacher at GCSE refused to teach us. We all had to teach ourselves. It was a bloody miracle I got an A* in that exam.
Original post by Dandaman9999
Thanks very much, that was very helpful :smile:

I see, but only just finishing my History GCSE in a fortnight still makes 50 marks seem ridiculous! But I guess we will be prepared so no worries. I was just worrying myself because I've heard rumours about the difficulty of History A-Level and thought I'd ask.

But thanks anyways for the tips and info, I'll be sure to keep that in mind for September (as well as the idea of behaving well and joining clubs, etc in the last terms :wink: ).

:lol: Is your History GCSE AQA? It's so weird to think I was you two years ago. Anyway, DO NOT WORRY about A Levels. The hype really isn't justified. Everything is manageable/depending on the individual.

You're welcome! Good luck with GCSEs and enjoy the summer :smile:

Oh! One last thing for everyone.

USE YOUR FREES TO DO WORK.
This deteriorated for me throughout the year so I went from having to do absolutely no work at home, to scramming around at 2am trying to piece an essay together which had no punctuation... not the best idea.
hey i know this sounds a bit personal......but what college did you move to? ( i remember you from a post ages ago and went to the same first college)
Don't worry. I was never taught in primary school or secondary school. My private tutors were never really that much help either.

Lol! subjects are always more interesting when the exams are out of the way!

I'm not the only one at least :colondollar:.
They really are :laugh:. I'm even loving History atm even though a few months back i was sure i'd drop it next year.
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
I'm not the only one at least :colondollar:.
They really are :laugh:. I'm even loving History atm even though a few months back i was sure i'd drop it next year.

haha! I remember saying that in my AS year. I continued though and although I hated the coursework, I enjoyed the exam unit. It was definitely worth continuing imo but I will still always feel sick when I think about the coursework.
Thanks! Same! I still am in sixth form but if I could go back with this blog post, I so would!

:rofl: Most of my teachers were nice but I did worry about a couple of them writing unfavourable references.

I would say it was after UCAS applications were sent off, coursework handed in and UCAS offers coming in that dealing with my Englit teacher became difficult. He turned up to less than 60% of our classes, and when he did come, would disappear for half an hour, come back and pretend nothing had happened. And then when something went wrong, it was all our fault.

Problems with our teachers usually were the result of over-relaxed students, especially during History. But the Englit teacher just took the piss.

Well anyway it's definitely something to show my younger siblings :biggrin:

When looking back, I dealt with teachers in sixth form more than I ever did before or even now at uni. From changing subjects (a lot), to references and to predicted grades (I had to go to the principal for that). I got to a point where once when I was asked by my friend about getting kicked out by a teacher, I knew exactly what to say :lol:
Reply 51
Wow, your college sounds different to mine :O
Thank you for this, will help me when I go to college/sixth form!
Original post by The Cornerstone
Well anyway it's definitely something to show my younger siblings :biggrin:

When looking back, I dealt with teachers in sixth form more than I ever did before or even now at uni. From changing subjects (a lot), to references and to predicted grades (I had to go to the principal for that). I got to a point where once when I was asked by my friend about getting kicked out by a teacher, I knew exactly what to say :lol:

I think it's just a very dynamic time. You don't spend that long in college but have to do a lot. You grow up a lot although I'm assuming you grow up some more in uni.

LOL! Sixth form is definitely eventful! Stressful at the time but when you look back, I guess it's easier to laugh at everything.

Why did you have to go to the principal? The only time I ever spoke to mine was during my interview.
Really great post! I start sixth form in September and I am excited, that post has given me some better advice too!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Salsa C510e
Original post by Livvy99
Wow, your college sounds different to mine :O

Which one? First or second?

I went to 2 colleges. My second one was a lot more relaxed than my first. Relaxed in a good way and a bad way.
Reply 56
The chemistry paragraph was my favourite....shame it's 2 years too late, kept it for A2 and I've sniffed far too many chemicals.....
I think it's just a very dynamic time. You don't spend that long in college but have to do a lot. You grow up a lot although I'm assuming you grow up some more in uni.

LOL! Sixth form is definitely eventful! Stressful at the time but when you look back, I guess it's easier to laugh at everything.

Why did you have to go to the principal? The only time I ever spoke to mine was during my interview.

Well even though I have only been in uni for a year, I say that you grow more there than you would at sixth form. Although it helped in dealing with people, I don't think I learnt much here and overall I'd say it was just a boring transition from school to uni.

It was about my predicted grades, I kept pushing for a higher grade despite my teacher and tutor not being sure about it. So since I was still being persistent about it, I had to ask the principal to change it since most apps passed through her before being sent off.
Reply 59
Which one? First or second?

I went to 2 colleges. My second one was a lot more relaxed than my first. Relaxed in a good way and a bad way.

Both, in a way... You were saying that in your college(s) you still found that people were immature and bullies etc, whereas at mine most people are generally really nice.
Having said that, however, it's a really big college and i tend to spend most of my time with the more accepting (and weird!) people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending