The Student Room Group

HELP! failing miserably with edexcel A2 music exam revision.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lana-loulou(:
How did everyone do for their compositions?
Bach Chorale I totally winged it, but I liked my composition quite a bit..

I liked my composition, I did the encore, and I think I did quite well- my teacher seemed to like it anyway.
I KNOW I made some mistakes in my Chorale, because I did a passing note in the cadence that was a second. And I made mistakes writing it into the paper, so I lost a couple of presentation marks there. :/
ohh that was the other option! Either two compositions, two "technical studies" or one of each :smile:

Ah, I didn't realise the Bach Chorale was a technical study! My naive self thought it might be something to do with Music Technology which is why we didn't do it :colondollar:

My teacher has an MA in Composition so that's probably why we did two compositions! Although I wouldn't have minded doing a Bach Chorale, as I'm doing Music at uni (hopefully!) it might have helped me a bit.
Original post by DoubleNegative
I liked my composition, I did the encore, and I think I did quite well- my teacher seemed to like it anyway.
I KNOW I made some mistakes in my Chorale, because I did a passing note in the cadence that was a second. And I made mistakes writing it into the paper, so I lost a couple of presentation marks there. :/

I did a vocal experimental piece for the stage for the Cinderella one! A bit like Berio from last year but more pantomimey.. Yeah mine's crazy. The examiner will probably look at it and be like ... huh? I did a vocal experimental piece last year and it got a very good grade... Panicking about this year though :frown: :frown: :frown: So much more pressure.
I did Agbekor dance earlier on! I'm only just writing condensed versions now from ym formal typed notes! I'll try and put them up depending when I finish xx

i a doing the same now because i think i've made it all far more complicated than i needed to. i was trying to learn every single point i possibly could and it was just getting messed up in my head. Thank you!!! x
What did everyone put for structure of Gabriel? Theres so much I have no idea how to condense it down! :frown:

for the Gabrielli i've just put that it is a rondo structure with an 'alleluja' refrain to bring together the contrasting textures of the piece. ABCB (sinfonia) DBEBFB1

B1 at the end because it's slightly longer than the original refrain.

you can also mention that the sinfonia divides the vocal solos from the vocal duets :smile:
I did a vocal experimental piece for the stage for the Cinderella one! A bit like Berio from last year but more pantomimey.. Yeah mine's crazy. The examiner will probably look at it and be like ... huh? I did a vocal experimental piece last year and it got a very good grade... Panicking about this year though :frown: :frown: :frown: So much more pressure.

Mine was for piano and flute, since I'm a flautist primarliy. My piano part was INSANE. I didn't even try and play it by the end. :') I'm just worried because my teacher said I got an A last year, but it got moderated down to a B. :/
Yours sounds awesome, I'm sure you'll have done well. :biggrin:
Same. There's too much pressure- Edexcel NEED to cut down how much they put in an exam. All I want is a stinking B. :frown:
good luck today everyone. we'll all be fine! xxxxx :smile:
IT'S D-DAY EVERYONE.
Good luck, I'm sure it'll be better than we think it'll be. :smile:
Reply 48
How did it go for everyone?? :smile:
Original post by JJTEASE

i think it was good :smile: the listening wasn't as scary as the ones i'd done before :smile: nor were the essays!
Original post by x_mizz_mithell_x
i think it was good :smile: the listening wasn't as scary as the ones i'd done before :smile: nor were the essays!

Original post by JJTEASE

I'm the same! It's what I expected, nothing scary or like.. what I couldn't answer.
Saying that though my mind went a bit blank for melody in section C :L
Hope everyone felt it went okay :smile:
I'm the same! It's what I expected, nothing scary or like.. what I couldn't answer.
Saying that though my mind went a bit blank for melody in section C :L
Hope everyone felt it went okay :smile:

I did the melody/ texture question too although i found it harder to talk about texture, particularly in Harold In Italy! :rolleyes:
there are so many textures in that piece and i couldn't remember where each type was so i just listed a couple and said the texture varies through out. oh well. i wrote so much for melody hopefully i'll make up marks there that i lost in texture :smile:

unfortunately i put Gershwin for the opera in the listening! and i'm not sure what the baroque dance style was in the end. there seems to be a lot of debate!
Original post by x_mizz_mithell_x
I did the melody/ texture question too although i found it harder to talk about texture, particularly in Harold In Italy! :rolleyes:
there are so many textures in that piece and i couldn't remember where each type was so i just listed a couple and said the texture varies through out. oh well. i wrote so much for melody hopefully i'll make up marks there that i lost in texture :smile:

unfortunately i put Gershwin for the opera in the listening! and i'm not sure what the baroque dance style was in the end. there seems to be a lot of debate!

I put Gershwin too!! The Baroque thing I think I put a gigue cos I could think of nothing else! Section A was such a disaster ha! The melody dictation I forgot the frickin last two bars so made it up... For the first set of questions I didn't think it was that hard, the next bit with dictation and what chord etc I literally put anything as I had no idea!
We're like the flipside of each other - texture I learnt off by heart so could bang it out like crazy but then melody I was like um......... help? But Narayan was okay for melody as I Remembered that because it's just so crazy! So glad it's over. Goodbye music foreverrrr! (sorry for the para)
I got such a bad cramp in my hand when I was writing the final essay XD hopefully the examiner can read my writing, it looked awful at the end. Managed to write all the essays just in time though.
Did anyone do the counterpoint module? Anyone going to Uni to study music this September?? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
does anyone have the score to Shostakovich string quartet No.8 Op 110? i lost mine and i cant get one of the internet
You need 3 well developed points for each musical feature for each set work on the last essay. For example: In Haydn's Symphony No.26 there is 2 main melodic themes. Bar 1 to 8 has the main subject consisting of syncopation and awkward leaps. From bars 9-16 there is a contrasting idea made up of semitone 'sigh' motifs.
I have the acronym MR D TIGHTS. not all bits are needed but they are as followsMelodyRhythmDynamicsTextureInstrumentationGenre(sometimes useful eg with wider listening)HarmonyTimbreStructure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaH3WfF_F9E making revision vids like this. any requests? and anyone with context info that can help me flesh them out more?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending