The Student Room Group

Intelligence - what causes it?

Does anybody know how one person can retain more information in a set period of time than another. Excluding study skills and assuming both have equal susceptibility to distraction while studying.

What physically or biologically causes it? More neurons in the brain? better connected neurons? Like what Actually exists that differentiates people with differing intelligence. Do people know yet?
Wouldn't we all like to uncover the secret to that :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Original post by 1tartanarmy
Does anybody know how one person can retain more information in a set period of time than another. Excluding study skills and assuming both have equal susceptibility to distraction while studying.

What physically or biologically causes it? More neurons in the brain? better connected neurons? Like what Actually exists that differentiates people with differing intelligence. Do people know yet?

to retain more information needs practice. as you know memory consist of long term memory and short term memory. what you need to do is teach your short term memory to retain more and then transfer to to the long term memory. as you know the short term memory can store 7 bits, so if you increase the load within the 7 bits, this will teach your short term memory to retain more information.
e.g. short term memory:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 this is only storing single letters
a b c d e f g

but when you do this:

1 ant this is increasing the information stored and retaining it.
2 bird
3 cat
4 dog
5 elephant
6 frog
7 giraffe

by doing this, you can increase the information retained and transfer it to long term memory.

biological wise, I think the more active neuron, the faster the process of storing information. hope this helped :wink: if you don't understand, do say so
It's a topic psychologists and medical doctors have been trying to research for years, I doubt you'll have much hope uncovering the answer from a bunch of students :biggrin:
Reply 4
Basically, im intelligent because im a don. I'm willing to go harder than any1 else.
Don't think people really know.
It would help is there was an exact definition of intelligence in the first place, it's not simply good memory = high intelligence. There are many other contributing factors.
I strongly suspect that most people have a lot more potential than they use.

I don't know the actual physiological science, and I don't think anyone really does yet, though there's a lot of disparate research, but there are so many other factors that I reckon most people end up as intelligent as they believe they can be, and subsequently work for.
It's usually to do with your upbringing. If you had slightly pushy parents that encouraged you to do well, you focused more at school. The first step to remembering info is to pay attention. So those with a better work ethic and are more focused pay attention more. Although there are exceptions to this. Some people rebel against pushy parents and then others come from poor families on benefits and they don't want to live like that when they're older. So they work harder and pass their exams.

Intelligence as most people define it ie passing exams is usually down to hard work and perserverance.
Reply 9
Original post by Monzystar
to retain more information needs practice. as you know memory consist of long term memory and short term memory. what you need to do is teach your short term memory to retain more and then transfer to to the long term memory. as you know the short term memory can store 7 bits, so if you increase the load within the 7 bits, this will teach your short term memory to retain more information.
e.g. short term memory:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 this is only storing single letters
a b c d e f g

but when you do this:

1 ant this is increasing the information stored and retaining it.
2 bird
3 cat
4 dog
5 elephant
6 frog
7 giraffe

by doing this, you can increase the information retained and transfer it to long term memory.

biological wise, I think the more active neuron, the faster the process of storing information. hope this helped :wink: if you don't understand, do say so

I see what your saying...... so basically you think its all down to accumulating knowledge from the start. So basically if I was forced to stop learning people deemed "less intelligent" could theoretically "catch up" to the same intelligence as me? Or am I way off?
Reply 10
Intelligence isn't just ability to retain information, otherwise people with edetic memory would be considered geniuses.

You'd first have to define intelligence (Creativity? Rationality? Imagination?), and even then scientists still haven't figured it out. I haven't really got an opinion on the matter cuz I'm not that intelligent anyway :excited:.
Reply 11
Original post by 1tartanarmy
I see what your saying...... so basically you think its all down to accumulating knowledge from the start. So basically if I was forced to stop learning people deemed "less intelligent" could theoretically "catch up" to the same intelligence as me? Or am I way off?

hmmm...it is possible to catch up with someone very intelligence, but bare in mind in order to be intelligent you need to understand the information so it can be transferred, so if you dont understand it no matter how hard you try to learn, it wont stick in :smile:
Reply 12
I could be going off on a tangent here, so I do apologies, nevertheless, it's pretty interesting.
I take Sociology at Alevel, and I've literally just finished studying a topic on Intellectual Development.
In Sociological terms, how Intelligent you are depends on your social class/up-bringing. The theory of Cultural Deprivation argues that Middle Class children are more likely to be Intellectually developed/equipped than Working Class Children because of the values and attitudes of their social class.
For example, (according to this theory) Middle Class families are more likely to support their children by reading to them at a young age, giving them toys that enhance their intellectual skills, and conduct in intellectual activities with their children such as, 'sight seeing', 'reading', 'museum trips', 'watching documentaries' etc and therefore M/C children are more likely to be Intelligent.
Whereas Working Class Families are more likely not to support their children by reading them 'rubbish stories', not offering such intellectual activities, allowing them to watch rubbish TV etc etc.
(Hopefully you get the picture)

BY NO MEANS, do I agree or disagree with this. As essentially it's saying those from Middle Class families are more likely to be Intelligent than Working Class families. However, It is quite interesting!
Reply 13
Original post by Weeves
I could be going off on a tangent here, so I do apologies, nevertheless, it's pretty interesting.
I take Sociology at Alevel, and I've literally just finished studying a topic on Intellectual Development.
In Sociological terms, how Intelligent you are depends on your social class/up-bringing. The theory of Cultural Deprivation argues that Middle Class children are more likely to be Intellectually developed/equipped than Working Class Children because of the values and attitudes of their social class.
For example, (according to this theory) Middle Class families are more likely to support their children by reading to them at a young age, giving them toys that enhance their intellectual skills, and conduct in intellectual activities with their children such as, 'sight seeing', 'reading', 'museum trips', 'watching documentaries' etc and therefore M/C children are more likely to be Intelligent.
Whereas Working Class Families are more likely not to support their children by reading them 'rubbish stories', not offering such intellectual activities, allowing them to watch rubbish TV etc etc.
(Hopefully you get the picture)

BY NO MEANS, do I agree or disagree with this. As essentially it's saying those from Middle Class families are more likely to be Intelligent than Working Class families. However, It is quite interesting!

intelligence is learnt and developed I would say and what determines this is likely to be ones own determination.
You can have two equal people but one has the determination and motivation to learn while the other doesn't.
Therefore the one with the drive is likely to achieve more and be classed as intelligent where as the other one isn't.
Therefore in my opinion motivation and determination instilled in people determines intelligence.
You only have to look at how intelligent the Chinese and Indians are to see that despite coming from poor backgrounds-their drive to succeed means they usually do well academically.

A more relevant question would be how do you instill drive and motivation in people to work hard and achieve the best they can?

This was sent from Mephestics Galaxy Far far away..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
..as with everything else, you can have a better memory if you use it often, practice. Keep memorising stuff, and you find it will become gradually easier to memorise.
A big bang on the head, try it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending