The Student Room Group

Doctors advice uk

Do antipsychotics cause brain damage and cause your thoughts to disappear forever and your emotions are numb forever or do they come back after stopping antipsychotics?
not a doctor - i am a student nurse

antipsychotics (dependent on the type being used) will target different types of symptoms. they do this by slowing certain processes in the brain that may be causing the targeted symptoms. on antipsychotics, you may feel different but you certainly don’t ‘lose your thoughts’ or cause brain damage, that’s not their function. some people do experience emotional numbness as a side effect of the medication use as they’re so used to their usual emotional state, but side effects are different from person to person. after stopping antipsychotics, people will respond differently, some may experience withdrawal etc., but it’s not like an on-off ‘switch’. generally atypical antipsychotics are favoured over typical antipsychotics nowadays as they have less severe side effects :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

antipsychotics (dependent on the type being used) will target different types of symptoms. they do this by slowing certain processes in the brain that may be causing the targeted symptoms. on antipsychotics, you may feel different but you certainly don’t ‘lose your thoughts’ or cause brain damage, that’s not their function. some people do experience emotional numbness as a side effect of the medication use as they’re so used to their usual emotional state, but side effects are different from person to person. after stopping antipsychotics, people will respond differently, some may experience withdrawal etc., but it’s not like an on-off ‘switch’. generally atypical antipsychotics are favoured over typical antipsychotics nowadays as they have less severe side effects :smile:

Thank you nurse
Reply 3

Do you know how many months it could take for emotions to come back and thoughts?
Reply 4

I feel less intelligent after taking antipsychotics?

Quick Reply

Latest