The Student Room Group

The Online Dating Chat Thread I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Na-dia
I once had an experience of online dating. I registered on a chat web site and started chatting with a guy who seemed nice ( what kind of guy would seem nice when I was 15? haha), soon enough we started texting each other and he sent me pictures of him so I kind of knew what to expect :grin: We met at some point and liked each other, so we decided to meet once again. It ended in two weeks because he said that he found someone who would let him have sex with her :s-smilie: I was not prepared for such experience as I was a virgin and it was not what I was looking for.

Not the best story on here I know haha

Sounds like you had a lucky escape.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST18i
Reply 81
Well, I consider it as such.
Original post by gemmam
I know just thought I'd message him that to see what he says. I keep getting one of the gents I previously met suggested to me which is annoying "Nobody has contacted him this week. Go for it" erm it maybe because in his profile pic he looks like Anders Breivik?

It can't be easy for people that look like high-profile criminals. One day you're living a perfectly ordinary life, and the next everyone's looking at you in a funny way because some nutcase in Norway decided to shoot all the peoples.
Reply 83
Original post by Chumbaniya
It can't be easy for people that look like high-profile criminals. One day you're living a perfectly ordinary life, and the next everyone's looking at you in a funny way because some nutcase in Norway decided to shoot all the peoples.

I met the guy in real life and he doesn't look like him, just in this one pic he really does.

Well I've joined okcupid but so far nothing. I've had a few messages but that's about it. :unsure:
Reply 85
I've been reading all these dating sites threads and I want to join to see what all the fuss is about (cliché reasoning eh?) but I have a unique name and I'm just generally generally worried someone I know will find it :ninja::colondollar:
Original post by Toph
I've been reading all these dating sites threads and I want to join to see what all the fuss is about (cliché reasoning eh?) but I have a unique name and I'm just generally generally worried someone I know will find it :ninja::colondollar:

You don't need to reveal your name publicly. Just pick a username and a location - you only need to give your real name to people if you want to.
Reply 87
Grrr just got this message "I'd like to get to know you better. May I break the ice and ask why such a stunning lass is single?". ARRRRRGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply 88
You don't need to reveal your name publicly. Just pick a username and a location - you only need to give your real name to people if you want to.

Yeah I'm thinking maybe if I'm still interested by 2nd year at uni. I can't be signing up to a dating site whilst still in sixth form :colondollar:
Signed up to this OK cupid website, not too sure what to make of it. Seems like there's a lot to give away before you even meet the person! Too much information and bound to find a deal breaker with almost everyone haha.
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Suppose I'll start with one of my nightmare stories.

Firstly let me say in my posts I don't mean to be offensive! Just my personal views on what I'm looking for etc.

About a year ago now I got talking to a girl on Zoosk who was quite attractive, I'd give her a 7/10.. But also well educated, working as a teacher. We had some decent conversations and seemed to hit it off. After a few weeks of txting and what not we decided to meet up.

Before meeting up she told me that she had a hearing problem, which I accepted and wasn't bothered by at all. We'd talked about music so I gathered she did have some sense of hearing and wasn't put off by the fact that she might have hearing aids (she had long hair too).

Anyways, when we ended up meeting it turned out she was almost deaf and could pretty much lip read... & sounded like a deaf person speaks. I found it so awkward... Whenever I'm on a date with someone who say isn't very attractive I feel like EVERYONE is looking at me thinking look at what he's ended up with and OH MY GOD it was horrible. And the worst part was that we'd planned to go for a proper meal...

At the end of the date I ended up getting really drunk, all in all I had a laugh but I couldn't get past the fact that she was deaf which I know is shallow of me but that's just the way I felt at the end of the day. I felt bad too in a sense that I couldn't just not go out with her again because we had a pretty good time, so I agreed to a second date....... This time at the cinema so that I could just sit and not have to be awkward. I can't remember what we went to go and see but she was bopping away to the music when it came on and held my hand and everything....... Oh my god so awkward.

In the end I can't remember what I done - nothing nasty. But I got a text afterwards saying how she felt that I wasn't as into things as she was, so I ended up playing along with that and let if fizz out.

Awkward story.

Strange, the things that put us off people. I couldn't careless what people think about my partner. No one is perfect.
Original post by Toph
Yeah I'm thinking maybe if I'm still interested by 2nd year at uni. I can't be signing up to a dating site whilst still in sixth form :colondollar:

Why not? It's interesting that a lot of people see online dating as something that gets progressively more acceptable as you get older. I see it more as a situational thing - it's not about your age, but whether your social life has become stagnant and you're struggling to meet new people.

If you're soon to be heading off to university, though, you should have the chance to meet loads of new people anyway. I'm heading back for a masters in September and I can't imagine I'll bother with dating sites then as I'll have all sorts of social opportunities which I don't have at the moment.
Reply 92
"U look nice u got big boobes, u single"

Please for once can I get a half decent message? No wonder there is so many women on that site who "reply very selectively".
Original post by gemmam
"U look nice u got big boobes, u single"

Please for once can I get a half decent message? No wonder there is so many women on that site who "reply very selectively".

I think it's a compliment. And at least he's direct.
Reply 94
I think it's a compliment. And at least he's direct.

The thing is profile pic is only a head and shoulders shot, so he must've actually visited my profile to see my other pictures (not that I'm showing my boobs off in any of my pics, I know not to do it on a dating site). So he noticed the size of my breasts, yet didn't even bother to look at my relationship status :s-smilie:
Original post by gemmam
The thing is profile pic is only a head and shoulders shot, so he must've actually visited my profile to see my other pictures (not that I'm showing my boobs off in any of my pics, I know not to do it on a dating site). So he noticed the size of my breasts, yet didn't even bother to look at my relationship status :s-smilie:

Sounds like a very smart lad/bloke
I think some people who do online dating become serial online daters because their standards are so high and it's really difficult for them to find someone who will tick all the boxes. I've heard people tell me how they have been doing online dating for years and they talk about date after date they have been on, I wonder what's failing?
Reply 97
Original post by babygirl110
I think some people who do online dating become serial online daters because their standards are so high and it's really difficult for them to find someone who will tick all the boxes. I've heard people tell me how they have been doing online dating for years and they talk about date after date they have been on, I wonder what's failing?

Many of the men on okcupid in my area were on last time I used it two years ago, same pictures and write ups too. These are still active accounts btw. Also I think many people (more so women) have bad experiences with online dating so stop using it for a while, then go back to it. Which is the case for me.

Original post by gemmam
Many of the men on okcupid in my area were on last time I used it two years ago, same pictures and write ups too. These are still active accounts btw. Also I think many people (more so women) have bad experiences with online dating so stop using it for a while, then go back to it. Which is the case for me.

Yeah, I've tried it and didn't like it.

There are many guys on there who find it an easy way to pick up women. I know a really goodlooking guy who has slept with so many women, after meeting them on match.com. He doesn't seem picky with his women either.

There are also some guys who like to punch above their weight and don't get far.
Reply 99
Original post by babygirl110
Yeah, I've tried it and didn't like it.

There are many guys on there who find it an easy way to pick up women. I know a really goodlooking guy who has slept with so many women, after meeting them on match.com. He doesn't seem picky with his women either.

There are also some guys who like to punch above their weight and don't get far.

I didn't like it either, but I'm fed up of being single and I don't have much of a social life, so yeh needs must :frown:. It's pretty depressing, after answering a ton of questions on okcupid my top match out of all the men the North West is some tool that I actually know in real life who makes pervy comments about his sister. I think I'm going to end up like the crazy cat lady off The Simpsons now.

My mate told me of a guy her husband knows who'se been on POF since the early 00s and all he uses it for is to meet women for sex, traveling up and down the country. Apprently hes not even that good-looking or charming either.

Quick Reply

Latest