The Student Room Group

AQA Unit 3 Mathematics 13 June 2012 - Unofficial Mark Scheme [43603H] [GCSE]

Mark Scheme in Word Format - very thorough, many thanks to Empty Child for posting this! (Click below link)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=156920&d=1339627392

Click Spoiler for Original Unofficial Mark Scheme (unfinished)

Spoiler

For everyone inquiring about Grade Boundaries; as this is the first time this paper has been sat, there is no previous grade boundaries to give a rough indication.

It has been suggested, with the paper being out of 80 marks that the following grade boundaries may suit:
66 - A*
52 - A
41 - B
33 - C

**Please don't assume these are correct, they are just rough ideas posted on TSR
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no one post any answers as this will give foreigners 12hours behind us the advantage which will in return result the increase of the boundaries.
Reply 2
yes please dont post anything and take that question with the answer?
dont wanna fail
Reply 3
Original post by AP1994
yes please dont post anything and take that question with the answer?
dont wanna fail

Original post by taz180496
no one post any answers as this will give foreigners 12hours behind us the advantage which will in return result the increase of the boundaries.

This is AQA. Those rules only apply to Edexcel exams.
Reply 4
can u please post some more answers thanks
Reply 5
Original post by PrinceUpsb
//Under Construction
//Under Construction

Question 10: (Concert - standing area - amount of people)
(15*10)-((Pi*3^2)/2)= 135.862...

135.862.../0.3 = 452.876...

Answer = 452 as you cannot have 0.876 of a person and 453 people would require more space
----
Question ?: (Find t - triangle - parallel lines)

Angle opposite w+40 must also be w+40.
Angles within parallel lines add to 180.
This means you had four angles around the point that were as follows: w+40, 108, w+40, 108.
Work out w: 2w+80=(360-108-108)=144
2w=64
w=32

t=180-(w+40)-(2*w)=44
---

hi i took this paper today and got the same answer :smile: what did you get for the question with the quadrilateral made of 2 triangles - you had to calculate the area ??? thanks
Reply 6
For question 15 where it was something like 3x+x2-10=0
What answers did use get and did you use trial and improvement?
Reply 7
For Q10, the answer 135.... I think the paper said it had to be squared then / 0.3

Maximum number = area of standing area(squared) / 0.3

Giving an answer of around 61,528.27 (61,528 rounded)
Reply 8
Original post by Maths94
For question 15 where it was something like 3x+x2-10=0
What answers did use get and did you use trial and improvement?

That wasn't the question it was

3x(Squared) + 4x - 10

You had to factorise by using the quadratic equation. Obtaining 2 different x values.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Yeah that question. What was your final answer ?
I don't know why i got x = 0.90 ( guess really lol )
On the question where there is 2 parts (a) (b) you had to find R through M or something what did you get for them two ?
Reply 10
Original post by xxDanxx
For Q10, the answer 135.... I think the paper said it had to be squared then / 0.3

I don't believe it did
Reply 11
Can't remember my answer for R and M question but for my x values I think I had 1.27 and -2.6

OP:

Q:1

It was a straight line with 3 different angles upon it. 2x, 3x and 4x. You have to calculate smallest angle.

ANSWER:

2x + 3x + 4x = 180 Degrees
9x = 180 Degrees
x = 180 / 9
x = 20
2x = 20 * 2 = 40 Degrees
Reply 12
Yeah for question 1 i got 40 Degrees
Reply 13
There was a rotational question. Rotate a shape 90 degrees clockwise around point (0,1)

CBA drawing graph but that was question
Reply 14
Original post by xxDanxx

I was about to make the same mistake as you but then I realised that the area of the place is already in metres squared so squaring it again kind of suggests that you're not entirely sure what you're doing and is obviously wrong.
Reply 15
Am I the only one who thinks the question with the triangles cut from the square was very misleading? The diagram (though not drawn accurately I acknowledge) seemed to imply the sides of the triangle were not the same as the base, yet the question said they were. The discrepency between the diagram and the question was huge, so I worked out what the sides of the triangle were and used that for perimeter. In hindsight I guess I should have ignored the diagram :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by dc747
Am I the only one who thinks the question with the triangles cut from the square was very misleading? The diagram (though not drawn accurately I acknowledge) seemed to imply the sides of the triangle were not the same as the base, yet the question said they were. The discrepency between the diagram and the question was huge, so I worked out what the sides of the triangle were and used that for perimeter. In hindsight I guess I should have ignored the diagram :frown:

Did that too. :frown:
Reply 17
They were, but as they were slanted they did not reach the top of the square.
Original post by dc747

I considered doing that, but it did say not drawn accurately (I think). I was tempted though.
can you include how many marks each questions is worth on a mark scheme?
and grade boundaries?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending