The Student Room Group
u can have one pint with a meal i think
Reply 2
You can drink beer in a pub at 16 so long as you're in the restaurant section having a meal I believe.
Reply 3
And you are with your parents. You can't go in wth a bunch of mates and get a beer handed to you.
Reply 4
Last year, I went into Nando's with some mates and asked for a meal and a beer (I know you can have some with a meal)...so after the waiter spoke to his manager for a little while, the manager came over to us and told us that the law was changing and that we wouldn't be able to buy alcohol at 16 in a few months...but gave us all beers anyway. T'was quite awkward but the Peroni was nice :biggrin: So basically, you should be able to, but its up to them.
I went into a bar the other day and above the door it said that your not allowed to drink if you look below 21. What was that all about?
If you really want to drink beer when you're 16, then there are places like Holland which you can go to. Conversely, there is always Turkey - it's illegal, but hey, people don't care :biggrin:!
Reply 7
digitalparadox
I went into a bar the other day and above the door it said that your not allowed to drink if you look below 21. What was that all about?

If you look 21 then they think there is no chance of you being under 18. Its done because the police recomend it as a means of not accidentally selling underage. (If you can produce i.d. they will let you drink.)
Reply 8
You can have alcohol at 16 only if served with a meal, and with parents.

At 17 you can have alcohol, if served with a meal. But parents do not need to be there.

At 18 you can buy alcohol from wherever. Whenever.

If you are with someone under 18 then you are not allowed to buy alcohol i think, incase you give it to them. But this only seems to apply at offlicences or strict bars. Most places do not check the age of people you are with.

This applies even if the people you are with are over 18, if they cannot produce ID then the barman can refuse to serve you. If he thinks you might give the drink to one of those he thinks might be underage.
Zakatu
You can have alcohol at 16 only if served with a meal, and with parents.

At 17 you can have alcohol, if served with a meal. But parents do not need to be there.

At 18 you can buy alcohol from wherever. Whenever.

If you are with someone under 18 then you are not allowed to buy alcohol i think, incase you give it to them. But this only seems to apply at offlicences or strict bars. Most places do not check the age of people you are with.

This applies even if the people you are with are over 18, if they cannot produce ID then the barman can refuse to serve you. If he thinks you might give the drink to one of those he thinks might be underage.

The age 17 thing is pretty stupid. And if your parents are with you, yet tecnically they're with someone under 18, so how can they buy alcohol?
Does it have to be both parents? What if one of them is dead?

Presumably it's only one parent or guardian that you need.

Latest

Trending

Trending