The Student Room Group

The notion that barristers are 'above' solicitors

Budding solicitors - what do you think about this (in my opinion: common) social attitude?

I'm someone considering doing the GDL and have spoken about legal careers with a few laymen. The common response appears to be the view that barristers are somehow hierarchically superior to solicitors or at least part of a more prestigious profession.

Now, I know that this view is not necessarily true. Barristers have higher rights of audience compared to solicitors (but not solicitor-advocates), but as far as I am aware - they are not superior. In fact, don't solicitors choose what work to give and not to give to chambers? So neither is necessarily 'above' the other?

What do you think about this social view?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably because becoming a barrister is harder and they typically earn more money. It's probably a bit like doctors and nurses - yet both are vital and neither can work without the other. I think you'll find this is pretty much the case with every profession.
Original post by RobertWhite
Probably because becoming a barrister is harder and they typically earn more money. It's probably a bit like doctors and nurses - yet both are vital and neither can work without the other

VERY extreme example if I may say so.
Probably because becoming a barrister is harder and they typically earn more money. It's probably a bit like doctors and nurses - yet both are vital and neither can work without the other. I think you'll find this is pretty much the case with every profession.

Lol, comparing solicitors to nurses and barristers to doctors? :rofl:
Reply 4
Original post by Tsunami2011
VERY extreme example if I may say so.

Yes, obviously. It was an example to show how both parts of the clock are needed for the whole to work. Why is this so difficult to understand? Of course the disparity between doctors and nurses and barristers and solicitors is huge.
Reply 5
So you say solicitors just pick what cases go through, but barristers actually fight the cases. I think it's quite clear which one's more important...

I'm sure a barrister could do what a solicitor does, but not necessarily the other way round.
Does your IQ not enable you to grasp the concept of my example?

No, because my IQ cannot comprehend how someone can be so stupid enough to produce such an analogy.
Reply 7
Original post by Hopple
So you say solicitors just pick what cases go through, but barristers actually fight the cases. I think it's quite clear which one's more important...

I'm sure a barrister could do what a solicitor does, but not necessarily the other way round.

And apparently this is different with doctors and nurses. Sigh...
Reply 8
Barrister's typically look like they hold more power than a solicitor - they 'decide' who wins or loses dependant on how good they are (to a layman).

Also the idea of being highly recognised by becoming Q.C and the like probably has an impact.
Reply 9
Watching 'Silk' on Iplayer, in this series a barrister was very much on top of a solicitor. But they shagged in the toilet as well so that's fine.
Reply 10
Original post by Lord-Voldemort
No, because my IQ cannot comprehend how someone can be so stupid enough to produce such an analogy.

You seem rather insecure about becoming a solicitor. That's all I can think of to why you're so defensive about the analogy. Barristers are more highly trained than solicitors, earn more money and is deemed a harder job as a whole and to get into. You're going to need to get over that if you want to be a solicitor. Barristers are 'superior' in a sense yet you still play a vital role.
Reply 11
You seem rather insecure about becoming a solicitor. That's all I can think of to why you're so defensive about the analogy. Barristers are more highly trained than solicitors, earn more money and is deemed a harder job as a whole and to get into. You're going to need to get over that if you want to be a solicitor. Barristers are 'superior' in a sense yet you still play a vital role.

... You what?
Reply 12
Original post by Blazara
... You what?

Are you really disputing top barristers earn the same or less than a solicitor?

As clearly mentioned, I have yet to even embark on the GDL (if I even decide to do so), let alone decide if I wish to complete the LPC or the BPTC.

The reason why I am apparently 'defensive' is because the analogy was puerile and ill-conceived.

Give us an analogy with some credible substantiation as to why it is valid and you might get a less 'defensive' response.
Reply 14
Are you really disputing top barristers earn the same or less than a solicitor?

Top barristers earn more than 'a' solicitor and a likely somewhat less than the 'top' solicitors.

Incidentally, holy ****! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/6543223.stm)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Norton1
Top barristers earn more than 'a' solicitor and a likely somewhat less than the 'top' solicitors.

Barristers at their height can exceed a million a year (the real top players), do solicitors really earn that much?
Reply 16
Barristers at their height can exceed a million a year (the real top players), do solicitors really earn that much?

Well read the little article. I think some equity partners in some firms could approach a million, yes.

Then again Jonathan Sumption earned £1.6 million one year and I doubt many solicitors approach that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17

Only very few are going to be earning that. Barristers do not automatically become rich, especially in the beginning, while a trainee fresh out can be on £60k if at the right firm.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Blazara
Only very few are going to be earning that. Barristers do not automatically become rich, especially in the beginning, while a trainee fresh out can be on £60k if at the right firm.

Mhm, solicitors earned more than I thought
I think a more adequate analogy would be a Consultant and a Staff Grade doctor - both have the same primary medical qualification; the Consultant earns more and generally has more responsibilities than a Staff Grade doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending