The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Prove there exists no polynomial f(x) f(x) with integer coefficients such that f(a)=b, f(b)=c, f(c)=a f(a)=b, \ f(b)=c, \ f(c)=a for a,b,c a, b, c distinct integers.
Reply 1781
Original post by DJMayes
Well, all I can say is I'm glad you're not applying to the same college at Cambridge as I am :tongue:

Half of my competition at St John's probably come from about three public schools so I'm not sure about applying to my college either. :rolleyes:
Original post by und
Half of my competition at St John's probably come from about three public schools so I'm not sure about applying to my college either. :rolleyes:

You're not going to be in the TSR Pembroke Maths war though :wink:
Reply 1783
Original post by DJMayes
You're not going to be in the TSR Pembroke Maths war though :wink:

I'm guessing you find yourself embroiled in that then. I have a feeling that the Pembroke admissions tutors are going to be pleasantly surprised this year.
Reply 1784
Original post by und
I'm guessing you find yourself embroiled in that then. I have a feeling that the Pembroke admissions tutors are going to be pleasantly surprised this year.

Before they start stalking us on TSR
Reply 1785
Original post by Cephalus
For functions like 1/(1+x), the maclaurin expansion is the same as its binomial expansion, which is what I think they are expecting

Ah, I was thinking binomial but it didn't quite work. I'll take another look tomorrow when my eyes can focus again :tongue:
Original post by und

Yeah, I've applied there. It will be interesting to see how that plays itself out :tongue:
Original post by L'art pour l'art
Prove there exists no polynomial f(x) f(x) with integer coefficients such that f(a)=b, f(b)=c, f(c)=a f(a)=b, \ f(b)=c, \ f(c)=a for a,b,c a, b, c distinct integers.

Is it NOT from Putnam or IMO or something similar in difficulty? Just deciding if I should try it. :biggrin:
Original post by Dog4444
Is it NOT from Putnam or IMO or something similar in difficulty? Just deciding if I should try it. :biggrin:
Got it from someone who said it's from a book on the theory of functions. Give it ago. :wink:
Original post by Lord of the Flies
If you want weird take a look at xxxx^{x^{x^{\cdots}}}

Determine the interval of convergence for x^{ \infty} x

Spoiler

Original post by TheMagicMan
Determine the interval of convergence for x^{ \infty} x

Spoiler

Easy to show that the upper bound is e1ee^{\frac{1}{e}}, but I am encountering a problem with oscillations for small x, which I am assuming is the difficulty in the problem - the issue can probably solved by separating cases of odd and even tetration, but given that it's 6:30 am I need to get some sleep first.

(I think we had only resolved part of the problem on the other thread - the easy part) :rolleyes:
Pretty pleased with myself today, I managed 1,2,3 and 5 in an hour before I went to sleep last night of the 2006 STEP I paper.. Bit annoying as I've taken quite a break from practise :lol:

Also, I attempted to differentiate xxxx^{x^{x}} and was wondering if anyone could confirm my answer.

Spoiler

and my attempt at xxxxx^{x^{x^{x}}}

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1792
Original post by Oromis263
Pretty pleased with myself today, I managed 1,2,3 and 5 in an hour before I went to sleep last night of the 2006 STEP I paper.. Bit annoying as I've taken quite a break from practise :lol:

Also, I attempted to differentiate xxxx^{x^{x}} and was wondering if anyone could confirm my answer.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Stick it into Wolfram if you want to be sure but from a quick glance it looks much the same as my answer. It's easy to see what the pattern is in general.
Reply 1793

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yes, they're right.

Extension: Prove by induction a general formula for ddxnx\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x} ^{n}x.
Reply 1794
I think we should have some easier interview style questions in this thread, like:

Find 11x2\int^{1}_{-1} x^{-2}
Original post by Zuzuzu
Yes, they're right.

Extension: Prove by induction a general formula for ddxnx\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x} ^{n}x.

Will try it now. :smile:

Original post by und
I think we should have some easier interview style questions in this thread, like:

It doesn't converge? :s-smilie: Although I did notice it was even, and changed the limits in the hope it might help, sadly it didn't.
[QUOTE="Oromis263;40175826"]
It doesn't converge? :s-smilie: Although I did notice it was even, and changed the limits in the hope it might help, sadly it didn't.
Sketching the graph reveals all... I think it's almost always worth doing that in integration (unless the function would take a while to sketch).

A similar example may include:

03(1x)2\displaystyle \int^{3}_{0} (1-x)^{-2}
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by und

Is this a trick question?

Or is it really 2 :s-smilie:

:reel:
Reply 1798
Will try it now. :smile:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Is this a trick question?

Or is it really 2 :s-smilie:

It's a real interview question. :wink:

Not for Cambridge through. Not for Mathematics either.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by und
It's a real interview question. :wink:

Not for Cambridge through. Not for Mathematics either.

So is the answer 2?

Latest

Trending

Trending