The Student Room Group

The Anime Soc chat thread XXI: High school AU version

Scroll to see replies

Just enrolled for Japanese language classes as my chosen module alongside my degree XD Excited...
Oh wow, my subscription finally expired. :p: The regular adverts are actually far less annoying than the stupid things TSR itself has forced onto the top/right of my screen. 'Meet Our Moderators', 'Useful Resources'... Don't suppose I can block those. :sigh:
(edited 11 years ago)
afternoon

:rofl:
Reply 383
Original post by Aiko
Glad you're having a nice time in Japan. Be assured to update us on your travels (I should really check your Twitter). :smile: Incidentally, Uji is the city I grew up in. :tongue:

Loved Japan - I definitely have to go back, didn't see nearly enough of everything! Think we should have spent a day less in Osaka - it's more of a night place, not a whole lot to really do during the day. Probably would have benefited from more time in either Tokyo or Kyoto (although the sister was thoroughly tired of me dragging her round temples and shrines in Kyoto :giggle: )

Now in Beijing - been on the go for 12 hours today, the place is mental! So different from Japan, which was an organised sort of mental, here it's just pure unadulterated chaos - feel like I'm about to be in some sort of collision every time we come anywhere near a road XD

We already miss the excellent service and lovely people in Japan, the Chinese are much more abrupt and dismissive we've found. Luckily our guide and driver are fantastic and really pleasant.
Reply 384
Original post by caraniel
Loved Japan - I definitely have to go back, didn't see nearly enough of everything! Think we should have spent a day less in Osaka - it's more of a night place, not a whole lot to really do during the day. Probably would have benefited from more time in either Tokyo or Kyoto (although the sister was thoroughly tired of me dragging her round temples and shrines in Kyoto :giggle: )

Aha, yeah, there's never enough time. You could easily spend a few weeks in Tokyo alone. At least you've had a taster of what the country can offer, which must have been all the more enlightening given your interest in anime and manga. It's also a shame that I couldn't meet you. I periodically visit throughout the year to see family, but after the big holiday I just had, it seemed illogical to go back now. :tongue:

Now in Beijing - been on the go for 12 hours today, the place is mental! So different from Japan, which was an organised sort of mental, here it's just pure unadulterated chaos - feel like I'm about to be in some sort of collision every time we come anywhere near a road XD

We already miss the excellent service and lovely people in Japan, the Chinese are much more abrupt and dismissive we've found. Luckily our guide and driver are fantastic and really pleasant.

Haha, China is certainly different, and you're in one of the more developed cities in the country. :giggle: I'd say Shanghai is closer to Tokyo (although still distinctly different) than Beijing, which is definitely a lot more raw and traditional, as you've experienced. :tongue: As for the people, I can see where you're coming from. They lack the etiquette of the Japanese, I suppose, but that's to be expected given the culture difference, not to mention they're generally a lot poorer. I still found the mainland Chinese friendly, on the whole. :smile:

Be assured to drop by again to give us another update. :biggrin:
Reply 385
New site update..:erm:

Please tell me the search isnt powered by ...bing!?:zomg:
Reply 386
Original post by vin

Please tell me the search isnt powered by ...bing!?:zomg:

Its not. But nevertheless... :lol:
Reply 387
Original post by Vulpes

Its not. But nevertheless... :lol:

are you sure :s:

why else would they use that button :afraid:
i actually quite like the new update :colondollar: the headings look a little more homey :h:
It's an improvement on the eyecancer they made us put up with for the past two weeks, I'll give it that. :hmmmm2:
Reply 390
:wtf:

:rofl: That was worth the 10 minutes it took to load. :p:
Reply 392
Thanks to having some better techi's this year it seems in the comedy society for certain gigs we can have our own intro music. This is rather awesome but I cannot for the life of me think of intro music for myself :sad:. It can be anything but all the music I listen to doesn't suit my stage persona which is very calm and cool but I come out with very strange and surreal things. I need idea's
Reply 393
This is new looking.......not sure if like.

Anyway, fun and games continue in China - the place is fecking mental. Although I suppose a large part of that is that we picked the busiest time of the year to arrive - National holiday week.

Can't say I have any burning desire to ever revisit the country at the moment - it's just way to busy & people seem to have absolutely no consideration for those around them or themselves when it comes to traversing roads/driving/loitering at the top of stairs/etc.

Also the sister and I have a very low opinion of Chinese airport security. On entry they managed to break the zip clean off the sisters carry-on bag, they seem obsessed with searching me and love hoking through both our luggage, pulling stuff out, passing it around amongst themselves, before finally handing it back. We were also prevented from advancing to our gate in good time because some eejit with a cordon locked down the stairwell, causing a massive pile up of people headed for our flight!

The lack of organisation of any form has been grating, but other than that China is an amazing country & the food is great. With a few tweaks to their crowd control, service industry & traffic laws this would be a place I would love to stay much longer in - as it is I'm getting very worn down by the stress of the crowds and the way people keep gawking at us (caught no less than 12 people snapping pictures of us yesterday - one of them on the plane!). Kind of looking forward to getting to Australia in just over a week!

I'm probably a bit whingey becuase I'm tired and have a head cold..........
ahh gotta love china :awesome:
Reply 395
Yeah, I can't say I found China that bad, but maybe that's because I've been to other places that are far worse in Asia and elsewhere.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 396
I just went to see Tim Key's show Masterslut. Contrary to the shows name it wasn't that slutty. Mostly it involves poems and a bath tub. The bath tub was specially amusing as near the end of the show he got in it, opened a can of beer and started singing Russian sonnets :laugh:

This is why I love stand up, under no other circumstances could you see that happen but in stand up you can along with many other weird ass things :grin:
My father and I have been on the phone to Sky again about our ongoing internet speed issues. He's better at sounding angry and barging past all the routine troubleshooting they keep trying to make us do (if the microfilters weren't the problem the last two times we phoned, why would they be now? :sigh:), then I take over once he's gotten through to someone with actual authority, as I'm the one who uses the internet the most so can give the most detailed account of the problem(s). Anyhow, they're hoping to get BT to send out an engineer (again), only this time I'll make sure it's on a day when I have time off work so that I can actually speak to the guy. This has gone on too long now. :mad:

happy birthday vin-kun :hugs: have a great day :cheers:

Reply 399
Happy Birthday, Vin-kin. Hope you have a good one. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest