The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vernon9
Why don't you tell the jobcentre you are on a part time course?

They would find out i'm on a full time course because i'm there everyday but mondays (i'm on summer hollidays at the moment but they said i still can't claim even though i'm off college for 2 months so iv'e been frantically applying for various jobs)
It's because They expect your parents to keep you and look after you while your at college or if you're older like me (21) they expect you to have a job to pay your way through college.. But if you can't get a job and have been trying then basically you can't go to college... (which is actually against people's human rights of a right to education)
Original post by ClaraJayne
It's because They expect your parents to keep you and look after you while your at college or if you're older like me (21) they expect you to have a job to pay your way through college.. But if you can't get a job and have been trying then basically you can't go to college... (which is actually against people's human rights of a right to education)

Seems like a perfectly reasonable expectation to me. Your human rights are not being taken away from you because you can't get some benefits while in college full time.

If you're studying full time, how can you study and be available for work?
I think I got lucky with my access course because it was technically a F/T course I was able to change my schedule by swapping to an evening class for English. I also moved to a double Criminology class (4 hours straight) and the two separate two hour history lessons. All in all it bought my hours down to 12 and meant I was only in for 3 days.

How many hours a week is your course?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by OU Student

Because full time is considered as anything over 13 hours a week

Original post by Shomberlon

16 hours actually.
Original post by gateshipone
16 hours actually.

My job centre told me 13 hence why I switched things about creating a horrible 7 hour day on Thursday. Ah well I'm done now :smile:

My job centre told me 13 hence why I switched things about creating a horrible 7 hour day on Thursday. Ah well I'm done now :smile:

Last I heard it was 16 hours. May have changed but 13 seems a bit low!
I've been told it's 16 too.
Last I heard it was 16 hours. May have changed but 13 seems a bit low!

I know, in theory on 13 hours you could do a full time job and study. It maybe due to the course being essay heavy that they take that into consideration

Original post by OU Student

weekend jobs. Ive been applying for weekend jobs sat and sunday. But there more difficult to get than full time jobs :L
I know, in theory on 13 hours you could do a full time job and study. It maybe due to the course being essay heavy that they take that into consideration

it's everyday but monday.. And i'm there from 9 am till 5pm nearly evryday

16 hours actually.

It isn't as simple as that.

Wrap a wet towel around your head and read this.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dmgch30.pdf
They won't let me claim even though i'm not goign to be at college for 2 months for summer hollidays..
And yeah it kind of is against human rights, it's like if you can't get a job then you can't go on a full time course.. Because EMA and ALG have totally stopped now no one can claim them iv'e tried.. The've stopped all the benefits for being a student so i get nothing now not even travel costs because of my age :/..
Original post by nulli tertius

Actually most of the time it is as simple as that. I know the regs, I used to have to implement them daily! There are ea few situations that are different to the standard "if you do x more than y number of hours then you can't get JSA" but 99% of the time that is that standard rule you follow.
They won't let me claim even though i'm not goign to be at college for 2 months for summer hollidays..

You're still classed as a student for those 2 months.
Original post by nulli tertius

Yeah I think I got lucky , that's a lot of stuff to process

But you're still a student and so are not eligible for JSA. Just because it's the holidays, doesn't mean you suddenly aren't a student.

And yeah it kind of is against human rights, it's like if you can't get a job then you can't go on a full time course.. Because EMA and ALG have totally stopped now no one can claim them iv'e tried.. The've stopped all the benefits for being a student so i get nothing now not even travel costs because of my age :/..

You have a right to free primary education and a right to access secondary education. Higher education is optional and therefore it's down to you to find a way to fund that. A lot of people take out student loans, others just have to put it off until they can afford it. You chose to go into full time higher education, you should have understood the financial implications of doing so.

It's going to get worse, as of next year the government is cutting all adult funding

Latest

Trending

Trending