The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tarts_n_Vicars
Ambitious in what context? I think of it as a little backward lol but that's just me. Like you can't get a job unless your uncle runs the company, can't build a house in some field unless grandpa is the town planning officer (or drinks with him every night and can hand him a few quid).

Is that in remote Ireland? Surely it's not like that in Dublin?
Well it's like that in Cork and Cork is by no means remote. Example...

My mum is on the resident's committee of our road and this developer bought one of the houses and started knocking bits down and adding bits on clearly in breach of planning regulations (and without any permission from the town planners). So the resident's committee complains to the council, they investigate and say they are going to "overlook" the numerous regulatory breaches. This developer is from the same tiny county cork town that the head of planning is....

You do the math :biggrin:
Reply 42
I have been to Dublin, it feels very much like London. In the sense it feels like a capital city and has a "buzz" to it.

I visited Kerry too, the scenery of the (can't remember) peninsula's are very good. Very sparsely populated which is something i like,a good feeling of space.

I also climbed the highest mountain in ireland, which was fun - again great scenery.

I also like Scotland, deffinitely feels different to ireland. Visit both.
I'd never post anything so mundane...
Maybe :wink:
Tarts_n_Vicars
Maybe :wink:

What does that particular :wink: imply?:rolleyes:
Reply 46
what's it like?
short answer: pretty crap
long answer: pretty ****ing crap
fr browne
Agreed much better than anything in Britain, though youre bodering a little on blasphemy, I had to reread your post to check whether or not you were implying football gets played at Croker, :biggrin:

lol aye gaelic football and hurling gets played at croker and if they have their way so will soccer and rugby - which means croker can pay off its debt 4x quicker than it would with just gaelic and hurling!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't mind going to see a rugby match in croker - would be class craic :biggrin:
Reply 48
Zakatu
I have been to Dublin, it feels very much like London. In the sense it feels like a capital city and has a "buzz" to it.

I visited Kerry too, the scenery of the (can't remember) peninsula's are very good. Very sparsely populated which is something i like,a good feeling of space.

I also climbed the highest mountain in ireland, which was fun - again great scenery.

I also like Scotland, deffinitely feels different to ireland. Visit both.

carrauntoohill?
Reply 49
hmm...i'm trying to decide between edinburgh and dublin too, although after reading this maybe galway/cork would be better
What, for going to uni? What nationality are you?
Reply 51
yep, i'm english
Well I was English and went to Edinburgh. My personal advice would be that if anti-Englishness bothers you, don't go to Edinburgh. Stay in England.
Reply 53
lol anti englishness doesn't bother me at all :smile: do they not like the English in Edinburgh then?
You sure?? I was surprised, 'cos I thought I was just going a few hundred mile up the road, we're all Brits etc. Amongst the most educated populace it won't be there much, but quite a few locals and even students and uni-staff were anti-English, others are very welcoming, but all in all, I just found it to be much more comfortable in my home country. The added stress of being 'foreign' I could have done without at the time. Having said that, beautiful place that loads of people want to live in....
Reply 55
yeh that's mainly why i want to go there, it's so pretty!
naivesincerity
Yeah, but then so are Scandanavia, London, Edinburgh, and a ton of other places apparently.

We don't seem to have many paddys on TSR.....
Go to the Northern Ireland, or Irish Soc, you'll find plenty of Paddys on there! :biggrin:
Reply 57
Kittennffc
Go to the Northern Ireland, or Irish Soc, you'll find plenty of Paddys on there! :biggrin:
and plenty of English people pretending...
I don't pretend to be Irish if that was a dig at me! I'm fully English, I just love the Irish!
Reply 59
Kittennffc
I don't pretend to be Irish if that was a dig at me! I'm fully English, I just love the Irish!
sorry, I didn't mean it as a dig! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending