The Student Room Group

Can GCSEs effect your application for DENTISTRY?

Hi everybody, I just finished my AS and got one more year to go!

I am planning to apply for dentistry, but not too sure about GCSE requirements)
I'm not English and when I was doing my GCSEs I pretty much messed them up because of the language barrier, but I'm predicted 2As in Chemistry and Biology and A* in Russian (NOT my first language) for AS.
My first choice is Glasgow with entry requirements AAB.

Please consider the following GCSE results and advise me whether its still possible to get in to Glasgow (I have over 5 month work experience so far)

A* Russian
B English (retook last year after getting an E)
C Maths
C Double award science (2Bs in Biology and Chemistry and a C in Physics)
2Bs in music and food tech

All of the above (apart from English) were taken 3 years ago when my English was on an "E" grade level.

After getting my crappy GCSE grades I took a First Business OCR Level 2 course which was based mainly on course work and presentations. This REALLY helped me to improve my language and after getting a Distinction (equivalent to 5 GCSE A grades) I went to retake my English GCSE and got a B. Then went on to AS Biology and Chemistry.

Now I'm going on to my second year of A levels and though the thought of me doing well so far fades away every time I think about how much my GCSEs can effect my future!

So please correct me if I'm wrong to think that I won't be able to do dentistry with my grades and I would really appreciate any advise on what I CAN do to still study dentistry)

Big thanks to everyone

Mike
Reply 1
Original post by MikhailTernovyy
A* in Russian (NOT my first language) for AS.

Do tell us more about getting predicted an A* at AS. :wink:

Everywhere will have different requirements; chances are you won't get into the top dentistry courses but if you have a lot of relevant work experience, good AS grades and a good personal statement/interview technique then you might get lucky.
lol ok, maybe not A* for AS but for the whole A Level
but say if I do get A*AA for the whole thing, do I still have a good chance of getting in with my GCSE results? I mean they got to look at the stuff you done recently and if its a big improvement from Cs at GCSEs to As at A level surely they got to be impressed))
what do you think?
Yes

/thread
Reply 4
Original post by MikhailTernovyy
Hi everybody, I just finished my AS and got one more year to go!

I am planning to apply for dentistry, but not too sure about GCSE requirements)
I'm not English and when I was doing my GCSEs I pretty much messed them up because of the language barrier, but I'm predicted 2As in Chemistry and Biology and A* in Russian (NOT my first language) for AS.
My first choice is Glasgow with entry requirements AAB.

Please consider the following GCSE results and advise me whether its still possible to get in to Glasgow (I have over 5 month work experience so far)

A* Russian
B English (retook last year after getting an E)
C Maths
C Double award science (2Bs in Biology and Chemistry and a C in Physics)
2Bs in music and food tech

All of the above (apart from English) were taken 3 years ago when my English was on an "E" grade level.

After getting my crappy GCSE grades I took a First Business OCR Level 2 course which was based mainly on course work and presentations. This REALLY helped me to improve my language and after getting a Distinction (equivalent to 5 GCSE A grades) I went to retake my English GCSE and got a B. Then went on to AS Biology and Chemistry.

Now I'm going on to my second year of A levels and though the thought of me doing well so far fades away every time I think about how much my GCSEs can effect my future!

So please correct me if I'm wrong to think that I won't be able to do dentistry with my grades and I would really appreciate any advise on what I CAN do to still study dentistry)

Big thanks to everyone

Mike

Dentistry is very competetive and undetstandably, your GCSE results are taken into consideration when assessing your academic capabilites.

However, as with your A-Levels, the UKCAT is also required when applying for Dentistry, so a good UKCAT score may outweigh your GCSEs.

If in doubt, you can email the universities you're interested in an they'll be able to give you a more informative answer.
Oh I see how it works now) so I'm not binned 100% yet)) (I mean I still got chances to improve my application with As at Alevel and UKCAT)
Thanks for advice, and I will email some universities for info!

Quick Reply

Latest