The Student Room Group

Optiver Test

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by M1011
Yea it makes sense when you put it like that, but making that first choice to swap it into 5/8ths etc within those tough time limits = very challenging.

Can you apply your outrageous maths skills to the question I quoted a few posts above? Interested to know if I got it right or was completely off base. My answer is at the end of my comment (google), didn't want to make a spoiler.

It's not really a choice, just the most obvious fractional representation of it.

Um, I don't know what you mean your answer is. But I'd guess the best thing to do is work up (eg, with 1 and 1, max total is 1. with 2 and 2, worst case scenario is 3, etc)
Reply 21
Original post by Slumpy
It's not really a choice, just the most obvious fractional representation of it.

Um, I don't know what you mean your answer is. But I'd guess the best thing to do is work up (eg, with 1 and 1, max total is 1. with 2 and 2, worst case scenario is 3, etc)

I'm assumed worst case scenario would be all 100 women had the same list, so you would need to add 1,2,3....98,99,100 together or essentially 100 x 50.5 = 5050.

Not sure though, but that's what made sense to me.
Reply 22
Original post by M1011
I'm assumed worst case scenario would be all 100 women had the same list, so you would need to add 1,2,3....98,99,100 together or essentially 100 x 50.5 = 5050.

Not sure though, but that's what made sense to me.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any way to do worse than that (suppose you could, pretty quickly can show it's wrong), so I think I agree.
Original post by salmon1
Only bother going if you are gifted with numbers. Not good, or very good; exceptional.

I thought I was very good at mental arithmetic, and so did the other 47 out of 50 people (>90% oxbridge/imperial) who got sent home after round one.

Not really surprising, since it is not a "maths" test at all. It is more like a primary school numeracy test taken at speed. People who study top quantitative degrees will have left this behind long ago, and won't have been selected to be good at it anyway. The most suitable background would probably be working in a shop without an electronic till. Or possibly playing a lot of poker.
Reply 24
Original post by DynamicSyngery
Not really surprising, since it is not a "maths" test at all. It is more like a primary school numeracy test taken at speed. People who study top quantitative degrees will have left this behind long ago, and won't have been selected to be good at it anyway. The most suitable background would probably be working in a shop without an electronic till. Or possibly playing a lot of poker.

Primary school numeracy test? Which primary school did you go to :eek:
Original post by M1011
Primary school numeracy test? Which primary school did you go to :eek:

If this is the one I'm thinking, it's just addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Possibly only the latter two. Nothing that a clever 8 year old couldn't do with enough time; the difficulty is all in the number of questions and the speed.
Reply 26
Hi:

As you know 80qs/8min test is for those who want to become a trader, e.g. programmers do not need to take this test.
Do you have an idea if "Data Analyst / Junior Researcher" position also requires that? Did anybody apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending