The Student Room Group

LSOP - My views!

I went to the LSOP open day yesterday and I thought that it would be useful to tell you guys and girls about it!

LSOP is very easy to find! I come from Nottingham, so I went on the train and walked from St Pancras station to LSOP. This takes about 10 minutes and is quite a nice walk!

On entering LSOP, I was shocked about the amount of scaffolding! But we were then told that a £5 million refurbishment project for a new common room, canteen and labs etc was taking place! This, we were told, would be nearly ready for September 2006.

We went on a tour of LSOP. I found a few of the girls doing the tour very immature and unprofessional when trying to ‘sell’ their university. For instance, when showing us a ‘role-play’ of a pharmacy, they kept giggling which was immature and when showing us how computerized systems worked they were disorganised. I also found that they lacked communication skills, which I thought that they would have developed! However these were Year 2 students and when compared to a Year 4 student who joined us, there was a noticeable difference and I could see how well students develop! The students were also very good when in the reception and telling us about LSOP, and timetables etc. I found it very useful to hear directly from students without lecturers listening, so as to hear ‘first-hand’ information.

We went on an accommodation tour to see the International Hall, which is right opposite the school of pharmacy! The rooms were a good size. However there are no en-suite accommodations and everything is catered. In the International hall, there is a bar and the majority of Pharmacy students stay here! However I was told that the food is sucks by a student!

LSOP is a VERY multicultural university, which the university said that they try to encourage.

There is a lot of student support at LSOP and everything is geared towards the students. All teachers are experts in pharmacy with excellent teaching. LSOP has a FANTASTIC reputation with employers and this is a big bonus, especially in the pre-reg year! As it is a small school, everyone gets individual attention and older students support you as everyone knows everyone else! There is more of a community here than in other universities and this really appeals to me!

Before I went to see LSOP, I thought that it would be really boring studying there! But was I wrong! Being in the centre of London, LSOP is close to Soho, the West End and of course the fabulous Oxford Street! Students at LSOP cal join the LSOP student union AND the University of London student union! There are bars very close by as LSOP is in a student, yet kinda posh area!

I really enjoyed my day and will probably make LSOP my firm, unless I hear from Kings! I think it would be great to study here! It is very useful to go and see the universities before your make your decision and previous to going I wasn’t too sure about making LSOP my firm!
Reply 1
Hey jaggy,

LSOP sounds cool. Im still waiting for kings aswell. I spoke to the admissions tutor for pharm last friday who said that the rest/next batch of applications will be processed within the next 7-10 days so we should all hear from kings by next week!

Amit
Reply 2
jaggy1
I went to the LSOP open day yesterday and I thought that it would be useful to tell you guys and girls about it!

LSOP is very easy to find! I come from Nottingham, so I went on the train and walked from St Pancras station to LSOP. This takes about 10 minutes and is quite a nice walk!

On entering LSOP, I was shocked about the amount of scaffolding! But we were then told that a £5 million refurbishment project for a new common room, canteen and labs etc was taking place! This, we were told, would be nearly ready for September 2006.

We went on a tour of LSOP. I found a few of the girls doing the tour very immature and unprofessional when trying to ‘sell’ their university. For instance, when showing us a ‘role-play’ of a pharmacy, they kept giggling which was immature and when showing us how computerized systems worked they were disorganised. I also found that they lacked communication skills, which I thought that they would have developed! However these were Year 2 students and when compared to a Year 4 student who joined us, there was a noticeable difference and I could see how well students develop! The students were also very good when in the reception and telling us about LSOP, and timetables etc. I found it very useful to hear directly from students without lecturers listening, so as to hear ‘first-hand’ information.

We went on an accommodation tour to see the International Hall, which is right opposite the school of pharmacy! The rooms were a good size. However there are no en-suite accommodations and everything is catered. In the International hall, there is a bar and the majority of Pharmacy students stay here! However I was told that the food is sucks by a student!

LSOP is a VERY multicultural university, which the university said that they try to encourage.

There is a lot of student support at LSOP and everything is geared towards the students. All teachers are experts in pharmacy with excellent teaching. LSOP has a FANTASTIC reputation with employers and this is a big bonus, especially in the pre-reg year! As it is a small school, everyone gets individual attention and older students support you as everyone knows everyone else! There is more of a community here than in other universities and this really appeals to me!

Before I went to see LSOP, I thought that it would be really boring studying there! But was I wrong! Being in the centre of London, LSOP is close to Soho, the West End and of course the fabulous Oxford Street! Students at LSOP cal join the LSOP student union AND the University of London student union! There are bars very close by as LSOP is in a student, yet kinda posh area!

I really enjoyed my day and will probably make LSOP my firm, unless I hear from Kings! I think it would be great to study here! It is very useful to go and see the universities before your make your decision and previous to going I wasn’t too sure about making LSOP my firm!

hey jaggy, i went there yesterday too! but i left at 4.10 because i had a appointment to make. were u being toured by 2 girls?
anyhow lsop was good and the course also sounds very exciting!
Reply 3
Yes, two girls with headscarfs on! I was wearing a blue scarf and i was with my mum!
Reply 4
jaggy1
Yes, two girls with headscarfs on! I was wearing a blue scarf and i was with my mum!

oh..i wasnt in ur group then. only one of my guides had a head scarf on...
i had a cream waist length parka on..was sitting towards the back in the talk..like where the first row of propper seats started..lol dont think i saw u though :-(
Reply 5
Hmm, I think I have seen the girls around, but am not 100% sure of who they were. I would have been there helping out at the open day, probably making the medicines (which I absolutely enjoyed doing in the 1st year and it's lovely to have a chance to make them again). However, I was at an islamic talk which was going on in the main lecture theatre...
Reply 6
littleone
oh..i wasnt in ur group then. only one of my guides had a head scarf on...
i had a cream waist length parka on..was sitting towards the back in the talk..like where the first row of propper seats started..lol dont think i saw u though :-(

You know in the talk with ian bates (I think)? i was the girl who answered the question about where aspirin comes from! lol! I was so proud of myself! lol!
Reply 7
jaggy1
You know in the talk with ian bates (I think)? i was the girl who answered the question about where aspirin comes from! lol! I was so proud of myself! lol!

oooohh...i remember you now! lol clever girl!
Reply 8
AM1T

LSOP sounds cool. Im still waiting for kings aswell. I spoke to the admissions tutor for pharm last friday who said that the rest/next batch of applications will be processed within the next 7-10 days so we should all hear from kings by next week!
Amit

Me too... i havn't got a reply from kings yet. They have to process it by next week!!! March 31st is their deadline if you applied before Jan. 15

LSOP does sound great! i didn't apply though... cause i thought there wouldn't be much of a campus uni life. oh well!
Reply 9
mml
Me too... i havn't got a reply from kings yet. They have to process it by next week!!! March 31st is their deadline if you applied before Jan. 15

LSOP does sound great! i didn't apply though... cause i thought there wouldn't be much of a campus uni life. oh well!

so does that mean kings will get back to me before 31st march? If so, then why do they have to? I thought that they are meant to get back to you before may.
Reply 10
AM1T
so does that mean kings will get back to me before 31st march? If so, then why do they have to? I thought that they are meant to get back to you before may.

oh sorry, it is May 9th.... another of my unis (Imperial College) has March 31st as their deadline. So sorry, I got mixed up hehe :eek:
Reply 11
I'll just add to what was said about the older years supporting you and stuff. As a 3rd year curious about what goes on in the 4th year, I just randomly asked 2 people who I haven't really seen or known before when they were talking about 4th year stuff, and they gave me loads of advice and stuff and were more than willing to spend time talking to me. This is how it has always been and there's really a nice sort of community atmosphere around here.
Reply 12
That is really nice Xenon! I absoluetly loved LSOP and hopefully (if i get the grades), will see you next year!

What do you think about the fact that many people (who I talked to) attending the open day thought that the girls studing at LSOP in their 2nd year were immature and unprofessional?
Reply 13
jaggy1
That is really nice Xenon! I absoluetly loved LSOP and hopefully (if i get the grades), will see you next year!

What do you think about the fact that many people (who I talked to) attending the open day thought that the girls studing at LSOP in their 2nd year were immature and unprofessional?

i'd agree with that...it relly was as if some of them were doing the open ay because they were getting paid
Reply 14
I guess you do get all sorts doing the open day. I would say that those wo must have been in the minority. I mean, they don't ask if you have had any experience in doing open days. People just volunteer to do open days. But I would say that most people are pretty professional about it. I love doing the labs in the open days and that's whereI usually am.
Reply 15
I went on the open day yeah and it seem cool hope to go there in 2006
Reply 16
yep same here, absolutely loved it there
Reply 17
Please don't spam. Why not create a new thread stating your questions? I am sure that many people (including myself) will help you! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending