The Student Room Group

How useful are maths lectures?

Basically the title. I appreciate that it will vary from person to person but any experiences are welcome.
Can a Lecturer add more than what's in the lecture notes? if so, how?

(also interested in physicsy lectures)
Reply 1
I'm interested to know this as well.

My Numerical Analysis lecturer was horrible; didn't understand a single thing he lectured. Making things worst, all that he taught didn't come out in the exams. :confused:

My Discrete Math lecturer was horrible as well but the tutor was ok. I self studied the whole thing myself. :colonhash:

My Applied Math was wonderful :h: She was before uni though :/

Damn horrible lecturers :colonhash:

*I did Computing BTW.
Not a lot if you dont practice.
Most of them if not all are online...so if you spend your time wisely you don't need to attend the lectures and can finish them off in your own time! but there are some modules which they aren't posted online....those you have to attend to otherwise you do get left behind and becomes a pain to catch up!
Reply 4
I found them very useful.

Lecture notes can be helpful, but following someone's train of thought when they are standing in front of you is easier than following it from paper, for me.
I found lectures really useful, especially different lecturers going through examples and explaining the concepts. I guess it depends on the person, sometimes I find it easier to see someone teaching rather than just reading a book - mainly because I can become bored of reading through material at length and sometimes not understand a concept.
I found them extremely useful.

In my uni they don't put the notes online for Maths so I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on if I hadn't gone.

I find it easier when I've listened to an explanation anyway :smile:
Reply 7
I fell behind in all the courses I missed lectures in.
** subscribes **

This whole topic fascinates me. Warwick pay me to do some STEP lectures, which raises the question of how do I add value beyond the old joke of a lecture transferring the notes of the lecturer to the notes of the student without going through the minds of either.

I can offer two lines of thought:

The best analogies for lectures are stand-up comedy and live music. In both cases I value being there over just watching YouTube. There's something about body language and the immediacy that recordings/broadcasts just don't have. However, I have anecdotal evidence that some lecturers are dire. Which raised for me the question of whether recordings of good lecturers beat poor live lectures. If so, then commodity universities should just screen lectures recorded at elite Uni's, in the same way that you can watch the Metropolitan Opera live at some cinemas.

Watching someone like Tim Gowers is more than learning a recipe for Someone's theorem. It's about watching excellent behaviours with the aim of copying them.

The other idea came from a distinguished (retired) economist I had the privilege of meeting on Saturday. I asked him whether elite Uni's should make available their recorded lecture content as a public good. He said that he used to give 9 am lectures. Simply attending those lectures live needed some commitment from students which alone made them more likely to apply effort to the content.
Reply 9
Original post by boromir9111
Most of them if not all are online...so if you spend your time wisely you don't need to attend the lectures and can finish them off in your own time! but there are some modules which they aren't posted online....those you have to attend to otherwise you do get left behind and becomes a pain to catch up!

I sense you've had experience in this? :awesome:
Original post by dknt
I sense you've had experience in this? :awesome:

Indeed-O, brudAhhhhHHH :awesome:
Original post by ian.slater
** subscribes **

This whole topic fascinates me. Warwick pay me to do some STEP lectures, which raises the question of how do I add value beyond the old joke of a lecture transferring the notes of the lecturer to the notes of the student without going through the minds of either.

I can offer two lines of thought:

The best analogies for lectures are stand-up comedy and live music. In both cases I value being there over just watching YouTube. There's something about body language and the immediacy that recordings/broadcasts just don't have. However, I have anecdotal evidence that some lecturers are dire. Which raised for me the question of whether recordings of good lecturers beat poor live lectures. If so, then commodity universities should just screen lectures recorded at elite Uni's, in the same way that you can watch the Metropolitan Opera live at some cinemas.

Watching someone like Tim Gowers is more than learning a recipe for Someone's theorem. It's about watching excellent behaviours with the aim of copying them.

The other idea came from a distinguished (retired) economist I had the privilege of meeting on Saturday. I asked him whether elite Uni's should make available their recorded lecture content as a public good. He said that he used to give 9 am lectures. Simply attending those lectures live needed some commitment from students which alone made them more likely to apply effort to the content.

Don't you have experiences from your own time as an undergrad?
Original post by ben-smith
Don't you have experiences from your own time as an undergrad?

In the 1970's the only alternative to attending a lecture was to copy the hand-written notes of someone else who did. Printed notes were not the norm - this was before (generally available) word-processing software, networking or personal computers. It's true that books were in common use, but the lecture provided a specification of what you needed to know. The exception was the Computer Laboratory which used the best-available technology.
Reply 13
In my experience, mostly essential. I've missed one or two lectures, and the only way I've found to catch up properly with the material is to copy out a friend's notes by hand (so that it does go through my brain) and normally ask them a bit when I'm trying out questions on it. Most of my lecturers didn't put their notes online, although for the ones that did I found this substituted for the friend's notes, but not for the conversations explaining the little things/steps that a lecturer commented on, but didn't write down. Unlike in arts subjects, your main source of learning is lectures, and watching a lecturer do the stuff, and hearing them explain it, is the best way to see material.
Reply 14
Go to them.

Seriously.

Go to them.

so many people say they'll 'copy out the notes later' but never do. also, somehow listening to them and writing them down maks the material make more sense than just reading it from a handout. the courses i paid the most attention in lectures in were also the ones without printed lecture notes.
Reply 15
I drop three times more marks on average in the modules I don't attend. Attend them. I find it lifts motivation too.
Reply 16
For the love of all things Greek and Algebraic, go to Maths lectures. It's a bloody nightmare making up the missed work.
I personally find lecture notes and lectures very poor for learning. I always go home and rewrite up the lecture notes on word in my own format so all the notes for different modules are standardised and easier to follow.

Quick Reply

Latest