The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

I'm a 3rd year Aeronautics student at Imperial College London - Ask Me Anything!

Hi everyone,

I'm Anudi, a 3rd year MEng Aeronautical Engineering student at Imperial College London.

I'm originally from Sri Lanka and studied A levels in Maths, Physics, Computer Science and Chemistry.

What I love about my degree is the ability to put the theory I've learnt into practice via labs and design projects. Design projects are very engaging and enable us to explore beyond lecture material. I also find it particularly exciting to explore cutting-edge research and learn topics such as high speed flows and unconventional aircraft designs.

What I love about studying at Imperial is being amongst some of the brightest minds in the world and being taught by some of the world's best lecturers who are truly experts in their fields. Imperial's facilities are also great and I've been lucky enough to use the Department's very own flight simulator in my first year. The student body is also very diverse and I enjoy meeting people from all over the world.

Outside of my studies, I'm an active member of the Sri Lankan society and Aeronautical society.

Ask me anything!

Post your questions below and I'll be back on Friday 26 March, 2pm - 4pm (UK time) to answer all your questions.
Reply 1
How did you find the maths parts of the course considering you didn't do further maths? On the admissions website it said that it was highly recommended and some people said its needed but I've heard others say that it isn't necessary. What do you think?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Imperial students
Hi everyone,

I'm Anudi, a 3rd year MEng Aeronautical Engineering student at Imperial College London.

I'm originally from Sri Lanka and studied A levels in Maths, Physics, Computer Science and Chemistry.

What I love about my degree is the ability to put the theory I've learnt into practice via labs and design projects. Design projects are very engaging and enable us to explore beyond lecture material. I also find it particularly exciting to explore cutting-edge research and learn topics such as high speed flows and unconventional aircraft designs.

What I love about studying at Imperial is being amongst some of the brightest minds in the world and being taught by some of the world's best lecturers who are truly experts in their fields. Imperial's facilities are also great and I've been lucky enough to use the Department's very own flight simulator in my first year. The student body is also very diverse and I enjoy meeting people from all over the world.

Outside of my studies, I'm an active member of the Sri Lankan society and Aeronautical society.

Ask me anything!

Post your questions below and I'll be back on Friday 26 March, 2pm - 4pm (UK time) to answer all your questions.

I have been rejected by Imperial this year for aeronautical. I am thinking of taking a gap year though I have offers from Glasgow, Southampton and Bath? Could you please tell me if you had any help from some tutoring agency to get a place in Imperial?
What does your weekly timetable look like? How much work do you put in outside of lectures and labs?
Is the workload huge in this course? Do you feel stressed sometimes?
Have you done any summer internships during your time at Imperial? If so, did Imperial help you get it?
Reply 6
What are your plans for after graduating?

Also, favourite food outlet on campus/best farmers market stall?
Hi Anudi, what's the support services like? Did you find Imperial were easy to contact about getting help with studies?
Original post by voided
How did you find the maths parts of the course considering you didn't do further maths? On the admissions website it said that it was highly recommended and some people said its needed but I've heard others say that it isn't necessary. What do you think?

Hey there!

Maths is definitely a huge part of the course and it is really important you have a good understanding of it. The reason they say it is highly recommended (but not required) is because they teach you the further maths content in your first year - this is done to get everyone (specifically those that didn't do further maths ) upto speed.

Because I was taught the content I didn't learn in high school further maths in my first year of the degree, I didn't find it a huge issue. Those who had already learnt it in high school definitely did have a bit of an advantage as they already knew the content, and so it was more like revision to them, however I personally like that I had to learn that in first year as it gave me a good transition into the independent learning that is so very essential in university.

Hope this helps!
Original post by chembio20
Hi Anudi, what's the support services like? Did you find Imperial were easy to contact about getting help with studies?

Hi @chembio20,

There are many support services available at Imperial - starting from personal tutorials, to the senior tutors, wellbeing advisors, the counselling service, student support fund, and much more. They are all very helpful and offer amazing services - you just have to make that first step and contact them.

As an Imperial student you're allocated to a Personal Tutor group. This is a group of students from your cohort, who are assigned to an academic in the department (your Personal Tutor). You'd meet with your Personal Tutor group every week in first year and your Personal Tutor would be your first point of contact if you have any issues whatsoever. They'd then point you to the right resources and/or people. There are also Senior Tutors in every department - you could speak to them instead if you prefer. Departmental wellbeing advisors offer wellbeing support throughout the year, and can be contacted at any time by students to set up wellbeing appointments.

With regards to help with particular modules, course tutors are always available to answer questions. Many tutors set up feedback forums for students to post questions, or students can clarify questions via email, or should they wish set up an appointment to meet the course tutor. They also have Office Hours during which students can meet them and clarify anything they'd like.

Aside from the above-mentioned departmental support, there are other support services too, like the ones I mentioned above. If you'd like any further info about any of them, do let me know and I'll be more than happy to help :smile:
Original post by Sinnoh
What are your plans for after graduating?

Also, favourite food outlet on campus/best farmers market stall?

Hey @Sinnoh,

Plans after graduation - honestly not so sure at the moment :smile: Just trying to take it one step at a time for now. I will have to start making (big!) decisions around this time next year, but I'm sure something will work out!

Favourite food outlet - JCR! It has food outlets for your every mood, for example the deli has great options for lunch, and there's the Starbucks outlet for coffee. Taste Imperial outlets are my go-to for a quick snack. They've got some seriously delicious muffins, cakes and brownies :tongue:
Original post by ShootForTheStars
Have you done any summer internships during your time at Imperial? If so, did Imperial help you get it?

Hey @ShootForTheStars,

In my first year summer I spent time work shadowing at an engineering firm, however I didn't do any internship over second year summer (as the application procedures came to a halt due to COVID). I plan on doing a research project over the upcoming summer.

Imperial's Careers Service is really great and offer workshops year-round on different parts of the application process. They also run careers fairs and offer a limited number of 1-1 sessions with a careers consultant. They also offer CV checks and overall they're such a great service with extremely helpful careers consultants with lots of experience.

I attended a lot of workshops that helped me understand the application process and how to make applications stand out. However I must stress that although the Careers Service offers support, they do not find internships for you - that bit is upto you! They do however help as much as they can with queries you have, so it would be upto you to ask them questions, book appointments, etc. as you see fit.

I hope that answers your question - do let me know if you'd like more details :smile:
Original post by ShootForTheStars
What does your weekly timetable look like? How much work do you put in outside of lectures and labs?

Hi again @ShootForTheStars!

In my case, since I am now in my third year I have significantly less lectures this year, but a lot more coursework. This changes every year, and is different for every degree. For Aero, the examined percentage decreases and the coursework percentage increases as you progress from 1st year to 2nd year, then onto 3rd year and so on.

I used to spend a lot more time last year in lecture halls last year and my timetable was pretty full. This year, timetable looks much less full, however I do have big design projects going on that take up lots of time. This is specific to third year aero; given that it is the pivotal year in the degree workload is quite high due to the scale of the design projects. Over the past two terms myself and a group of 5 other students designed a conventional passenger aircraft, and as you can imagine that does take quite a bit of time. So I did have to put in a few extra hours outside of lectures ( however, the end result was so worth it! )

I'm afraid I don't have an exact number of hours per se. I prefer not to confine myself to a strict number of hours, instead I spend whatever time required to get that week's work done, whilst ensuring I get enough time to relax and do other things that are completely unrelated to academic work. Some weeks, when there are deadlines, I do have to put in more hours of work but I make up for that by taking as much time as I need after the deadline.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Is the workload huge in this course? Do you feel stressed sometimes?

Hi there!

Given that Imperial is one of the world's top universities, its courses are admittedly demanding. You need to be motivated and have a passion for the subject and if you do you'll find that you actually enjoy learning about everything - and when that's the case, it doesn't feel like a chore to be working. Labs and coursework assignments are really interesting and give you hands on experience, design projects let you apply the theory in practice. I immensely enjoyed my third year design project despite the fact that it required a lot of work. At the end of it I came out with a lot more knowledge than I could have ever expected myself to learn just through lectures and lots of transferrable skills.

Feeling stressed at times is a very normal part of university. Deadlines and such are what shapes your personality during your time at university and handling the multitude of work you've got to do gives you some amazing time management skills. That said, it is important that you take care of your wellbeing and manage your stress to stop yourself from being overwhelmed- this is where support systems come in, such as the wellbeing advisors, personal tutors, course tutors and much more. I can assure you that with the right support, it is possible to manage the work and enjoy your time at Imperial.

If you want more info, feel free to send us a message and I'll be happy to help!
Original post by Aero8
I have been rejected by Imperial this year for aeronautical. I am thinking of taking a gap year though I have offers from Glasgow, Southampton and Bath? Could you please tell me if you had any help from some tutoring agency to get a place in Imperial?

Hi @Aero8,
Congratulations on your offers to Glasgow, Southampton and Bath!

I didn't go to any tutoring agencies, however I do remember spending time outside of school hours revising in study groups, if that answers your question. Don't worry too much about not getting into Imperial Aero; it is highly competitive and there are lots of factors that affect decisions made by the admissions tutor, such as grades, personal statement, interview performance, etc.

If you'd like more info or want to have a chat about the course please do send us a message and I'll be happy to help. All the best!
Hi everyone,
Ask me anything!

Hi Anudi,
I have completed by grade 12 as general education and it seems Imperial not accepting it. If I pursue 4 A-Level courses would be fine to apply ?
Reply 16
Hi everyone,
Ask me anything!

Hello,
I was just wondering how you coped with computer science Alevel. I am currently doing it and struggling and was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to improve. I need AAB to get into chemical engineering and am getting D's in computer science, A in chemistry and B in maths and wondering how to get better grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending