The Student Room Group

2:1 or First but resit year?

Simple question really. Just got my results, and I'm a few percent off a 2:1 with a 40/60% split between 2nd year and 3rd year. Economics 2nd year at Cardiff.

Options are, work solidly next year to get either 60% for 2:1, or if I work incredibly hard, it breaks down to 79% or something silly for a first.

Alternatively, I could retake the year and try and get a first overall... thoughts?

I put close to no work in this year stupidly, and came out with 55+% so surely with proper work all year round a first is possible.

So which route would people vouch for?
Reply 1
Depends what you want to do with it really, I personally think that having a first wouldn't necessarily benefit you, as certain jobs only classify for a 2.1 or higher. It totally depends on what you want to do with your degree. I would rather save money by not re sitting the year and spend an extra year getting experience in the field I want to go into.
Reply 2
If you think you can get a 79% average then go for it. Why not. But if you think it isn't realistically possible then just do as well as you possibly can and hope for the best 2.1 possible.
2:1 would be good enough for me. Plus it would cost considerately less.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending