The Student Room Group

Is it possible to apply to med school 2 years after you finished school + resitting

Many med schools have a minimum requirement of ABB in your first A level sitting when the student is reapplying with predicted grades and unacceptable achieved grades + resitting the following year, but say you didn’t manage this ABB minimum in your first sitting of A-Levels in 2023, and you resat in June 2024 and got something like AstarAstarA could you then apply to those unis which had minimum first sitting requirements for 2025 entry with your acceptable achieved grades?

I was under the impression that those minimum requirements were only if you were resitting and reapplying the immediate following year due to not actually having suitable achieved grades upon applying, so surely if you had the acceptable achieved grades they would accept it even if you didn’t get above ABB in your very first sitting? Or does the fact that you got below ABB in your first sitting automatically exclude you from applying regardless?

Are there any restrictions to doing this also, like do you have to take a different admissions test as it’s 2 years after because I’ve been told some unis count you as a mature applicant and want you to take GAMSAT? I don’t know if that’s true though
Reply 1
Original post by M_A564
Many med schools have a minimum requirement of ABB in your first A level sitting when the student is reapplying with predicted grades and unacceptable achieved grades + resitting the following year, but say you didn’t manage this ABB minimum in your first sitting of A-Levels in 2023, and you resat in June 2024 and got something like AstarAstarA could you then apply to those unis which had minimum first sitting requirements for 2025 entry with your acceptable achieved grades?

I was under the impression that those minimum requirements were only if you were resitting and reapplying the immediate following year due to not actually having suitable achieved grades upon applying, so surely if you had the acceptable achieved grades they would accept it even if you didn’t get above ABB in your very first sitting? Or does the fact that you got below ABB in your first sitting automatically exclude you from applying regardless?

Are there any restrictions to doing this also, like do you have to take a different admissions test as it’s 2 years after because I’ve been told some unis count you as a mature applicant and want you to take GAMSAT? I don’t know if that’s true though

You definitely won't be considered as a mature applicant, you would still do the UCAT
Reply 2
Original post by Idk131
You definitely won't be considered as a mature applicant, you would still do the UCAT

Ok thanks, do you know if they would not accept your application if you didn’t get their minimum the first time, even if in resits you achieved suitable grades?
Reply 3
Original post by M_A564
Ok thanks, do you know if they would not accept your application if you didn’t get their minimum the first time, even if in resits you achieved suitable grades?

Most med schools that have minimum first sit requirements mean them as just that - they are the minimum grades they will accept at first sit, regardless of the grades you achieve later. This may be waived if there are ExCircs.
Some med schools do not have first sit requirements and one will accept achieved grades only, if first sit is too low
Reply 4
First sit means first sit, but there are plenty of universities that don't mind if it's not on first sit.

GAMSAT is really only for grad programmes, or if it's been a number of years (typically 5+) since you last undertook any sort of study, and I think that's only like 1 university. 2 gaps years, especially if you spent one of them studying, won't be an issue. It will be clear on the university website if that's a problem.
Plenty of graduate programmes even still just use the UCAT or BMAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending