The Student Room Group

Unusual life route after University?

Since I've been at University, a few people have said to me that I should 'make the most of the summer holidays because it's the most freedom you'll have before you graduate'. Personally, I think this outlook is a bit depressing.

Which got me thinking, are there many graduates here that have done things a bit differently rather than going straight into employment?

If so, what did you do?
What's your life like now?
Any current students that plan to do things differently?
(edited 11 years ago)
I left my undergraduate and became unemployed. The free time of what would have been a summer holiday remained just with the stress of job applications being sent out everyday never to hear anything back.

With current youth unemployment at 20% leaving uni to walk into a job is just not going to happen for some people. I still have friends who have been unemployed for around a year and one who ended up working 10 hours a week at a local shop with the manager refusing to put him onto full time or even overtime.

I escaped by doing a masters with money I saved from the student loan.

I know a few people who went onto teaching English in places like Poland. There are possibilities for travel and work abroad. So really the situation is what you make of it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm just about to go into my first graduate role and occasionally have that glum moment, thoughts of 'This is it now, living to work and working to live', thankfully I love what I do but I suppose it's just life.

A few older friends of mine went off for a year or two after uni to travel and work abroad, they've recently come back and although they've had an amazing time they are finding it incredibly hard to get jobs. In the eyes of employers, why would they hire someone who has been galivanting for a year over someone who went straight in and has that crucial work experience?

The travelling lifestyle is great (I did it for 2 years before uni) but it just isn't really sustainable, I had grand ideas before realising that eventually you have to 'settle down' to an extent and crack on with it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by EGjeff
I'm just about to go into my first graduate role and occasionally have that glum moment, thoughts of 'This is it now, living to work and working to live', thankfully I love what I do but I suppose it's just life.

A few older friends of mine went off for a year or two after uni to travel and work abroad, they've recently come back and although they've had an amazing time they are finding it incredibly hard to get jobs. In the eyes of employers, why would they hire someone who has been galivanting for a year over someone who went straight in and has that crucial work experience?

The travelling lifestyle is great (I did it for 2 years before uni) but it just isn't really sustainable, I had grand ideas before realising that eventually you have to 'settle down' to an extent and crack on with it.

You are lucky to find a graduate position. Hopefully you will enjoy it.

The economic situation there is high levels of youth unemployment so getting a job soon after graduating is difficult and took some of my friends by surprise who ended up unemployed or part time work looking for full time work.

However, travelling is not really a bad thing in the eyes of employers as travelling gives a broad cultural experience which may be very beneficial. It really depends on the role being applied for.
Hey OP

Im a current student, graduating next year, and due to not being 100% certain what i want to do, Ive decided to save up massively- ive been saving since the start of uni so i can rent somewhere when i graduate. My plans have changed now and instead Im saving to go abroad (Australia) and Im going to work there for a year (then if i like it try and extend this to 2 years). We only live once and we're only at the age where we can go off and do these things for a few more years (yes you can do it when your older but you may have more commitments etc).

so im gonna do it next year :smile:
Reply 5
My sister did a History degree about eight-ten years ago and struggled to find a job afterwards, so she went into teaching English to people all over the world. She's still doing it now, as she gets to travel all over the world (Sri Lanka, Turkey, China, Ukraine, India, Brazil, Poland and more) and she absolutely loves it :smile:
I wanted to go travelling, but then realised that in order to do so I first need money. To get money I need a job, and we're back to square one again. Best bet is just to find something you enjoy doing for a career...
Original post by EGjeff

But if your friends also worked while travelling, then why isn't that looked on very favourably by employers? Is it because the travel work they did was only low-skilled (bar work, fruit-picking, etc) and they then went on to look for skilled jobs? Or did they just not work very much compared to holidaying?

See, this is what worries me a little about travelling, about how employers might see it. Then again, if there aren't any jobs here to begin with anyway then maybe one could argue that they didn't have much to lose in doing so? If I do go on a working holiday I might try to emphasise my job search in something skilled that I might be interested in a career in, and/or also write a book or blog about my travels to practise my writing skills in case I need it for a certain career.

Original post by pinkangelgirl
Hey OP

Im a current student, graduating next year, and due to not being 100% certain what i want to do, Ive decided to save up massively- ive been saving since the start of uni so i can rent somewhere when i graduate. My plans have changed now and instead Im saving to go abroad (Australia) and Im going to work there for a year (then if i like it try and extend this to 2 years). We only live once and we're only at the age where we can go off and do these things for a few more years (yes you can do it when your older but you may have more commitments etc).

so im gonna do it next year :smile:

I'm not a graduate but I plan to do this also, working in Australia and/or New Zealand for a year or 2. Your last line especially in that paragraph is what makes me feel like I should just go for it and not keep wasting too much more time. Career is important but life is also to be enjoyed, so it's good to take opportunities like this when it's the right time :yep:
The thing is that while at uni, a lot of people had delusions of grandeur - money, travelling, instant job success (I did a maths degree, so a lot of people were extremely arrogant and thought they'd end up immediately in a suitable place of work).

Fortunately, I knew that there was a lot of competition and since I couldn't really get work experience, I tried to do a lot of volunteering at uni and it'll pay off eventually.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
But if your friends also worked while travelling, then why isn't that looked on very favourably by employers? Is it because the travel work they did was only low-skilled (bar work, fruit-picking, etc) and they then went on to look for skilled jobs? Or did they just not work very much compared to holidaying?

See, this is what worries me a little about travelling, about how employers might see it. Then again, if there aren't any jobs here to begin with anyway then maybe one could argue that they didn't have much to lose in doing so? If I do go on a working holiday I might try to emphasise my job search in something skilled that I might be interested in a career in, and/or also write a book or blog about my travels to practise my writing skills in case I need it for a certain career.

I'm not a graduate but I plan to do this also, working in Australia and/or New Zealand for a year or 2. Your last line especially in that paragraph is what makes me feel like I should just go for it and not keep wasting too much more time. Career is important but life is also to be enjoyed, so it's good to take opportunities like this when it's the right time :yep:

Just do it! For ages ive been pondering what Im going to do with my life, and I realised i have savings to either rent a flat after Uni or actually travel and have fun.

Ive made my mind up now and so should you :biggrin: I know its hard but just take the plunge!
Reply 10
Original post by wanderlust.xx
(I did a maths degree, so a lot of people were extremely arrogant and thought they'd end up immediately in a suitable place of work).

The Sciences are a bit delusional I guess :s-smilie:

At the moment, I myself need to keep on reminding myself to be as good as possible and sharpen all possible skills that I could gain; the outside world is so competitive :/
Original post by kka25
The Sciences are a bit delusional I guess :s-smilie:

At the moment, I myself need to keep on reminding myself to be as good as possible and sharpen all possible skills that I could gain; the outside world is so competitive :/

Well don't get me wrong, they were right to a certain extent - the degree does impress people when they hear about it and I'm sure that it'll become a lot easier to pick up a job once you have a good deal of experience in the industry you want to work for.

For example, someone with a high first with a truckload of experience in finance would be pure gold for a position anywhere in finance. Then it's just about getting into a role that you'd like to keep for life, I guess!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending