The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

I mostly play flanker for the U18s girls' team; however, I just play where I'm needed really.

ALSO! I've just found out that they're making a movie about Francois Pienaar- Captain of SA, who won the world cup in 1995. Matt Damon will play Pienaar and Morgan Freeman will play Nelson Mandela! I think this will do wonders to raise the profile of the game. I've noticed too, that Matt Damon will have played rugby in at least two of his movies, if this one gets made; The Departed and now, "The Human Factor".
HEC quarter finals

Cardiff Blues v Toulouse
Munster v Hairsprays
"Hairyquims" v Leinster
Tigers v Bath

:smile:
Reply 1782
Ethereal
no need!

Well said :biggrin:
Reply 1783
QwentyJ
Congratulations! Playing for the U20's that is! I once attended a Scottish exiles trials in Leicester, but didn't get selected for further playing because I was slightly too old and they had loads of wingers!

So yeah, nice going.

Was anyone else expecting snorkels for the second half of the Bath match?! I've never seen the Rec so wet!
Opinions people, would it be easier to learn the skills of a winger rather than a flanker through league training? I'll obviously be training at uni, but I haven't played union in ages and I don't want to be on the bench for the third team when I get there. I'd say I'm relatively fast, but good at accelerating and not afraid to "truck".
mad-cow-intuition
I mostly play flanker for the U18s girls' team; however, I just play where I'm needed really.

ALSO! I've just found out that they're making a movie about Francois Pienaar- Captain of SA, who won the world cup in 1995. Matt Damon will play Pienaar and Morgan Freeman will play Nelson Mandela! I think this will do wonders to raise the profile of the game. I've noticed too, that Matt Damon will have played rugby in at least two of his movies, if this one gets made; The Departed and now, "The Human Factor".

I've heard about that!

Also, did people know Bill Clinton played rugby when he was at Oxford?
Interesting... The guys at Planet Rugby forums think that the reason England have gone downhill in recent years is because we don't have the physical edge any more. That coupled with superior players and we don't have a dominant team any more. I'd say that there's quite a bit of truth to that. The England pack is always big, but do we now need forwards weighing around 300lbs, and all our backs to be the size of Dallaglio? Looks likely! :p:

"giant gargoyles, raw-boned, cauliflower-eared monoliths that intimidated and unsettled. When they ran onto the field it was like watching a tribe of of white orcs on steroids. Forget their hardness, has their ever been an uglier forward pack?"

New Zealander Michael Laws on the 2003 England pack that would later win the 2003 World Cup.
lnjames
Opinions people, would it be easier to learn the skills of a winger rather than a flanker through league training? I'll obviously be training at uni, but I haven't played union in ages and I don't want to be on the bench for the third team when I get there. I'd say I'm relatively fast, but good at accelerating and not afraid to "truck".

Winger!

A RU flanker has to be able to scrummage, ruck and in many cases jump at 4 or 6 reciever in the lineout (depending on the calls). There's no parallel between league and union training for a RU flanker, even in union the skills needed for BS and OS flankers are different.
lnjames
Interesting... The guys at Planet Rugby forums think that the reason England have gone downhill in recent years is because we don't have the physical edge any more. That coupled with superior players and we don't have a dominant team any more. I'd say that there's quite a bit of truth to that. The England pack is always big, but do we now need forwards weighing around 300lbs, and all our backs to be the size of Dallaglio? Looks likely! :p:

"giant gargoyles, raw-boned, cauliflower-eared monoliths that intimidated and unsettled. When they ran onto the field it was like watching a tribe of of white orcs on steroids. Forget their hardness, has their ever been an uglier forward pack?"

New Zealander Michael Laws on the 2003 England pack that would later win the 2003 World Cup.

Oh the memories of watching that pack perform...
:woo: I'm going to see France v Scotland in Paris in a couple of weeks. Exciting...

Except that it's the most expensive weekend to go to Paris all bloody year. Nice one Six Nations organisers.
The Referee
Winger!

A RU flanker has to be able to scrummage, ruck and in many cases jump at 4 or 6 reciever in the lineout (depending on the calls). There's no parallel between league and union training for a RU flanker, even in union the skills needed for BS and OS flankers are different.

Cheers for the advice. Time to start sprinting for September then... :biggrin:
Was bored so found out some interesting stuff. Here's the average scores and previous results from England's 6N matches for this year (from 2000-2008):

England 45 - 11 Italy WWWW (100%)
Wales 16 - 24 England WWLL (50%)
Ireland 22 - 20.5 England LWLL (25%)
England 29 - 18 France WWLW (75%)
England 42 - 14 Scotland WWWW (100%)

Total matches won: 70%

And overall results from the 6N since 2000:

England 43 - 12 Italy WWWWWWWWW (100%)
Wales 16 - 32 England WWWWWLWLL (67%)
Ireland 19 - 27 England WLWWLLLLW (44%)
England 22 - 19 France WWLWLLLWW (56%)
England 30 - 14 Scotland LWWWWWLWL (67%)

Total matches won: 67%

So we haven't beaten Wales or Ireland away since 2003... :sadnod:
Noooooo! Chris Latham got KO'd after scoring a quality try for Wuss today. :frown: Hope he's alright soon...

Both teams were thoroughly average, Debney was shocking (to both sides), but I still can't believe Worcester let another game get away from them. Relegation battle here we come, especially if we lose Latham for the 6 nations period. We don't have another out and out full back in the whole club!

On another point: Why does Chabal get injured in every game? He went into contact badly and got battered by our centre, Dale Rasmussen, went down with a shoulder injury and went off two minutes later! I know he gets targetted but he always goes off!
In the rugby match i played this morning, i ended up with a Broken nose, 2 broken fingers and a dislocated knee :pwnd: Fun times. We won though :biggrin:
pinkpenguin
On another point: Why does Chabal get injured in every game? He went into contact badly and got battered by our centre, Dale Rasmussen, went down with a shoulder injury and went off two minutes later! I know he gets targetted but he always goes off!

Do not question l'Homme des Cavernes. :mad:
lnjames
Do not question l'Homme des Cavernes. :mad:

My brother calls him :jebus:!

Original post by &#9829
In the rugby match i played this morning, i ended up with a Broken nose, 2 broken fingers and a dislocated knee :pwnd: Fun times. We won though :biggrin:

:lolwut: Holy hell... I thought I was injury prone!
pinkpenguin

:lolwut: Holy hell... I thought I was injury prone!

lol, yeah im pretty accident prone, but also really fearless :proud:

Wasnt my fault this time though :shifty:
Original post by &#9829
lol, yeah im pretty accident prone, but also really fearless :proud:

Wasnt my fault this time though :shifty:

What position do you play?
lnjames
What position do you play?

Hooker :proud:

Quick Reply

Latest