The Student Room Group

University "grades"?

Hi,
I've just finished my first year at University and got my marks back for each of 5 modules. Now I wasn't sure if there was going to be an overall grading system (like A*, A, B etc. in sixth form) but I've heard people talking about things like firsts and 2-1's, and I'm not sure what those are - could someone explain those to me? and also (if applicable) how can I would work out what I got just from percentages on individual modules?
Thanks in advance. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You went through a year of uni without knowing what a first or a 2.1 is?

Your lack of dedication to your study is to be admired.
Reply 2
This didn't genuinely happen.
Reply 3
Great, thanks for all the help.
Reply 4
Oh cmoon, I wanna know as well :biggrin: Everyone is talking about it but all I can get out of it is that 2-1s is worse than ... something ...
Reply 5
Original post by Adam753
Great, thanks for all the help.

Sorry mate just having a laugh.

First = 100
2.1 = 95-99
2.2 = 91-95
Third = 80-90.

Anything below 80 and I'd contact your department to see what you can do.
Reply 6
Original post by veracocha

First = 100
2.1 = 95-99
2.2 = 91-95
Third = 80-90.

You might be a bit off there.
Reply 7
Basically similar. The top 'grade' is a First, then you have 2:1 (what most people get and generally good) 2:2 (passable but not for all graduate courses/job positions), 3rd (you spend more time pre-drinking than studying), pass (just like a G grade GCSE is a 'pass') and 'fail' (you didn't turn up :P ) Generally 70%+ is a first, and the boundary is 10% lower each time (2:1 is 60%, etc)
Reply 8

First = 100
2.1 = 95-99
2.2 = 91-95
Third = 80-90.

Now I KNOW that's a joke.
Reply 9
Original post by CLS94
Basically similar. The top 'grade' is a First, then you have 2:1 (what most people get and generally good) 2:2 (passable but not for all graduate courses/job positions), 3rd (you spend more time pre-drinking than studying), pass (just like a G grade GCSE is a 'pass') and 'fail' (you didn't turn up :P ) Generally 70%+ is a first, and the boundary is 10% lower each time (2:1 is 60%, etc)

Right, assuming that's the average % of each module? That means I got a 2:1 then, thanks :smile:
Original post by Adam753
Right, assuming that's the average % of each module? That means I got a 2:1 then, thanks :smile:

Yep, in most cases, although sometimes they are 'weighted' so that some modules count more than others, it's best to check with your uni and see if they have any info on the website for current students if they have one.
Reply 11
Original post by mathsclown
You might be a bit off there.

Excuse me, I have forty-nine degrees so I think I know what I'm talking about.
Reply 12
Original post by Adam753
Now I KNOW that's a joke.

No its true, I've heard that myself too.
Reply 13
Original post by Adam753

They take the average percent across modules, though the number of credits a module is worth shows its weighting... For example, a 20 credit module would be worth twice as much in calculating the average than a 10 credit one.

Also, most unis don't count the first year in the final grade. Some make the other years worth different amounts as well eg third year worth more. All this will depend on your uni.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
Reply 14
Reply 15
Haha you lot are too cruel :wink: :colone:
Reply 16
Excuse me, I have forty-nine degrees so I think I know what I'm talking about.

sorry, you have 49 degress? :eek:Is that even possible?
Original post by 123maz
sorry, you have 49 degress? :eek:Is that even possible?

Of course not. If they were all undergrad degrees it would take him 147 years to do them!
Reply 18
70+= 1st
60-69=2.1
50-59=2.2
40-49=3rd
-40= Fail
Original post by angela.
70+= 1st
60-69=2.1
50-59=2.2
40-49=3rd
-40= Fail

Good old TSR, took 21 posts before someone wrote the answer to a straightforward question, don't you ever change for nobody!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending