The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 07/08/2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InkingTheSky
Wow, and I thought my school was bad :K:

Original post by RHenderson
Nah, my school only offered 3 AHsx

If yous think that's bad, my school only offered 1, and that consisted of giving us a textbook and teaching ourselves from it, with the ability to ask a teacher to explain stuff we don't get now and again. :tongue:

Original post by Direct15
Leaving at the end of S5 well done :biggrin:. Personally I do find S6 boring but I guess it assures me I've got the grades I need.
I feel if I left in S5, I would be isolated from my peers as I would be 16 and couldn't go pub crawling

I never got this feeling. I thought 6th year was way better than 5th year.

S6 on a Monday FML 6frees and only Adv Maths Last :frown:

A Wednesday for me was awful. I had no classes. Literally, I didn't have any classes on a Wednesday. Management still demanded I come in and burden someone's class, and study with noise all around me, as opposed to doing it quietly at home. Did my head in. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
If yous think that's bad, my school only offered 1, and that consisted of giving us a textbook and teaching ourselves from it, with the ability to ask a teacher to explain stuff we don't get now and again. :tongue:

A Wednesday for me was awful. I had no classes. Literally, I didn't have any classes on a Wednesday. Management still demanded I come in and burden someone's class, and study with noise all around me, as opposed to doing it quietly at home. Did my head in. :rolleyes:

Do you not get 'community time' in sixth year? We were allowed to leave during frees as long as we were doing something worthwhile. I sat in on GPs consultations for about eight hours a week :frown:

Wednesday's are bad for me too, I only have double social which is about an hour really where I sit and not pay attention to anything/work at my uni application at the back of the class as I'm the only person who knows what to do and has to apply before October :redface:

I love 6th year so far! I barely have any actual classes though (17/40 of my periods are taught) and I've been far too excited about applying for prefect/house captain and volunteering in classes :colondollar:
Reply 383
Im having a panic attack waiting. I have the feeling I have failed all 5 exams I sat, which really worries me because I need CC at higher to get into university:frown:
Reply 384
I have 18/35 worth of classes, still got to waste 3/35 on 2 re and 1 pe :angry:
Original post by rawragee
I love 6th year so far! I barely have any actual classes though (17/40 of my periods are taught) and I've been far too excited about applying for prefect/house captain and volunteering in classes :colondollar:

I have 18/35 worth of classes, still got to waste 3/35 on 2 re and 1 pe :angry:

Wait, how long are your classes and how long are you in school for each day? ;o I only had 25 a week at my first school (1 period: 1 hour | In school: 9am-3pm ) and 30 a week at my second (1 period: 50-55mins | In school: 9am-3:30pm).

In college the classes lasted three hours. We'd have class once a week for Int 1/2 and twice a week for Highers. I preferred it to school timetables.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Do you not get 'community time' in sixth year? We were allowed to leave during frees as long as we were doing something worthwhile. I sat in on GPs consultations for about eight hours a week :frown:

Nothing like that, unfortunately.
Original post by sinfonietta
Wait, how long are your classes and how long are you in school for each day? ;o I only had 25 a week at my first school (1 period: 1 hour | In school: 9am-3pm ) and 30 a week at my second (1 period: 50-55mins | In school: 9am-3:30pm).

In college the classes lasted three hours. We'd have class once a week for Int 1/2 and twice a week for Highers. I preferred it to school timetables.

One class = 40 minutes, and we're in school from 8:40am-3:30pm :smile: I only get 5 periods a week of my AH as we don't have enough funding any more to get the full seven we need :frown:
One class = 40 minutes, and we're in school from 8:40am-3:30pm :smile: I only get 5 periods a week of my AH as we don't have enough funding any more to get the full seven we need :frown:

Wish-wash. I did 3 AHs (with another Higher), Chemistry with 1 period a week (50 minutes), Biology with 2 (100 minutes), and Maths with 4 (200 minutes, even though we spent this time just working from a textbook, as mentioned above). You should count yourself lucky. 200 minutes a week in each AH for me would have been a godsend.

You've got more than enough time, pal. Self-study is nowhere near as hard as people like to make out. :tongue:
Wish-wash. I did 3 AHs (with another Higher), Chemistry with 1 period a week (50 minutes), Biology with 2 (100 minutes), and Maths with 4 (200 minutes, even though we spent this time just working from a textbook, as mentioned above). You should count yourself lucky. 200 minutes a week in each AH for me would have been a godsend.

You've got more than enough time, pal. Self-study is nowhere near as hard as people like to make out. :tongue:

I suppose so, every teacher makes out that it's this big travesty though so I've been worried :frown:
thanks for giving me some encouragement :biggrin:
Reply 390

Full seven? :lolwut: Is that what you're supposed to get? Always thought the 5 a week we had was the standard...

The very smartest person(s) always still getting the standard 3 AH A's and 1 Higher A in 6th year with that system at my school, so I'm sure you're fine with 5.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 391
Original post by sinfonietta

50 mins each per period
Mon/Tues/Thurs: 8:50am-3:40pm
Wed/Fri:8:50am-2:50pm ( the only perk )

Original post by Arianto
Full seven? :lolwut: Is that what you're supposed to get? Always thought the 5 a week we had was the standard...

The very smartest person(s) always still getting the standard 3 AH A's and 1 Higher A in 6th year with that system at my school, so I'm sure you're fine with 5.

yeah.. our periods are fourty minutes long so every teacher made out that we're going to fail because we're getting 200minutes of taught time instead of 280, it scared me a lot :colondollar: thank you!
Leaving at the end of S5 well done :biggrin:. Personally I do find S6 boring but I guess it assures me I've got the grades I need.
I feel if I left in S5, I would be isolated from my peers as I would be 16 and couldn't go pub crawling

I can always apply again this year if I don't get the grades I need which is another bonus - it's like getting an extra chance to get in.

I do feel that I will be quite isolated, but I'm sure I'll find other people who are 17 and therefore unable to go out to clubs etc. as well. I hope :colondollar:

And it will give me more of a chance to keep on top of work I guess? (Let's all look on the bright side of life...)
Reply 394
I can always apply again this year if I don't get the grades I need which is another bonus - it's like getting an extra chance to get in.

I do feel that I will be quite isolated, but I'm sure I'll find other people who are 17 and therefore unable to go out to clubs etc. as well. I hope :colondollar:

And it will give me more of a chance to keep on top of work I guess? (Let's all look on the bright side of life...)

When I apply I'll be 17 until the end if January and never thought of that :biggrin:

S6 on a Monday FML 6frees and only Adv Maths Last :frown: but hopefully this will change. Prom as well everyone tries to out do everyone does my head in. At least I have double maths on a thursday my favourite time :biggrin:.My free's are sooooooo boring, I've played taptap4 every time or watched Big Bang Theory however they get exciting when someone asks me for help on a subject I enjoy - I love teaching :biggrin:

I have 32 periods a week, each 50 minutes long. I'll be doing two Advanced Highers (5) and 2 Highers (6) + 2 periods of Enrichment, so 24/32 periods are filled. For the remaining 8 I'll split them 3 periods of teaching/class support, 3 periods of Maths study, and 2 periods of other subjects study/early lunch :P

I'd hate to only have one subject like that. Our school makes us sign in first thing in the morning, even if we have free periods in the morning, So a full day... doing nothing. Sounds hellish
When I apply I'll be 17 until the end if January and never thought of that :biggrin:

Haha I'll be 17 until the end of May - not that much of a difference
Haha I'll be 17 until the end of May - not that much of a difference

if I get into uni next year I'll be 17 until the summer between first and second year.. :getmecoat:
if I get into uni next year I'll be 17 until the summer between first and second year.. :getmecoat:

I'm bound to find people this year then.

So long as people don't look down on the girl who left in 5th year... :redface:
Reply 399
Bricking it for results day.
There are some subjects like Biology and English and Modern Studies that I feel really confident in.
I know I haven't got a 1 for French, because my speaking wasn't good.
But I am so worried for Maths o.o I found paper 1 an absolute nightmare :frown: I just hope I picked up enough on paper 2 :biggrin:
Chemistry and Physics I am really not sure about, but I'll see.

I just wish I had started studying earlier. I promised myself I'd start in January, but I was too lazy and I had to sort of cram it in :frown:

Oh well it will be a lesson learned for Higher!

I'm just very nervous :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending