The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 07/08/2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oxymoronic
What's your fee status? I'm assuming that you're Scottish and will be funded by SAAS?

If so I wouldn't expect St Andrews to be accepting people in adjustment as they just won't have the funding available to do so. By all means contact them and ask but I wouldn't expect that they would have space to take additional Scottish funded applicants.

I am from Scotland, but I'll phone and see. Cheers
Got 4 A's and a B :smile: I thought the B would be in Maths tbh but it was in English :/ While I am pleased, I'll appeal the English.If my appeal is successful, will I be able to apply for medicine this year with 5 A's despite one of the A's being on appeal ? Thanks :biggrin:
Congratulations to everyone for making it this far. :biggrin: I can see some pretty damn good results here and I hope your success is carried on into further study and/or training! Now get off TSR and relax. :biggrin:

However, there might be people who haven’t done so well… I’d like to send them a little message. Depending on the level, bad results may seem very detrimental to your future right now and you’re probably feeling quite disappointed. When I got my Higher results back in 2010, I completely bombed everything and didn’t make it into my uni choices and I had to totally replan everything out in a short space of time. Two years forward, I’m at uni doing a course I love and I haven’t failed anything since.

Although it seems like the end of the world now… it really, really isn’t. There are so many different paths to get where you need to go! Even if it means resitting, appeals, going to college for a year or whatever, there is always a way to overcome this obstacle. Right now, though, you need to rationalise what’s happened and speak to a guidance teacher and/or your family as they will know what is best at this point. They will give you advice accordingly.

Don’t make rash decisions either. Carefully sit and think about all the options ahead of you and pick the one you feel most comfortable with… e.g. don’t pick the first available course in clearing out of panic.

This is all coming from experience. Nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes it’s how we solve those mistakes that matters. Hard work, determination and good planning will get you anywhere, just be sure to put in the elbow grease! I can assure you, you’ll look back on this day and use it as a motivator to work hard and work properly… sometimes we need to fail in order to succeed inorder to see what we’re doing wrong.

Overall, though, there is so much more to life than exam marks. Never forget that.

Good luck and I wish you all success in the future. :biggrin:
Original post by oxymoronic
What's your fee status? I'm assuming that you're Scottish and will be funded by SAAS?

If so I wouldn't expect St Andrews to be accepting people in adjustment as they just won't have the funding available to do so. By all means contact them and ask but I wouldn't expect that they would have space to take additional Scottish funded applicants.

Who should I phone? The department or clearing hotline?
I'm delighted with my results this year. I already had an unconditional back to college, so I didn't really have anything to meet. I did however exceed my own expectations.

Higher Psychology - A
Higher Sociology - A
Higher Media Studies - B
Original post by sinfonietta
TY & same to you! :biggrin:

I didn't get any 1s at SG so your results look excellent to me!

Not going to. I don't even have to see him ever again unless we end up in the same uni one day! We're both moving colleges next year and they're almost two hours away from each other. :smile:

Fantastic! People like that aren't worth talking to. For example, I had someone ask me what I wanted in my exams, I said seven 1s and a 2, and they said to me "You're not going to get seven 1s and a 2." and i asked him how he knew that, and he said "you just won't." I wasn't being cocky, he asked me! Well done for your results :biggrin:
Original post by AspiringVet
I got

H Biology - A
H Chemistry - A
H Physics - A
H Maths - A (that was surprising, must have just scraped the marks)
H English - B

At the risk of sounding exceptionally arrogant, I'd like to ask, how much does a folio influence marks in Higher English? My folio was marked at 25, so A1 and I had hoped that it would bolster my weak essay work up to an A.

I am in a similar situation to yourself with 4 A's and a B in English. I had been predicted an A but I'll appeal it :smile:
Reply 1387
I got:

H English - A
H Biology - A
H Modern Studies - A
H History - A
H Maths - B

I am very pleased with my results. I want to do law at uni and i am slightly concerned that the B will affect that. Anyone know what my chances of getting into law are even though i didn't get five A's? It's also worth noting i need to apply for deferred entry.
Original post by qazwsxedc5
I got 4 As and a C at higher (the C being in english which I am pretty annoyed at), I'm a little unsure if this C will stop me getting unconditionals (I'm thinking of applying for for a science/maths course at uni), does anyone know if these results are fine for getting unconditional offers?

Yup, you should be able to get some/all unconditionals with those grades, obviously depending on the university and the course though. Most Scottish unis only look for 4 grades and since you have AAAA, you're in for a good chance of getting uncons.

Original post by Evan7788
Any idea how to find out your grade bands if you've left school?

You can still phone up the school and ask.

Original post by BoyceAvenue
Missed my conditional but still got in, so happy!

Very pleased for you, congrats! :smile:

Original post by UserUnavailable
So I at last have my results

Art int2; b
Maths int2; a
English sg; 2
French int2; a
History int2; a
Geography int2; a
Physics sg; 1
Chemistry sg; 1

I'm a bit disappointed with my results; I was predicted all a's, and I got 7 a's on my prelims; the only 2 being on physics as I got 74%. Im hoping to appeal English but I need to wait for the post to get my breakdown. But I'm v.disappointed with art; I was told by my teacher I had a definite A and I got 93% on the written prelim.

I won't bother phoning the school to ask today as it's only standard grades and they'll be busy with things involving uni. But would I have a case for an appeal?

Edit: I just got my certificate for English I got a 1 on talk and a 2 on reading and writing

In that case your teacher would have predicted you an A and you will be eligible for an appeal, yes. Good luck an well done! :smile:
Original post by Anya.26
I got:

H English - A
H Biology - A
H Modern Studies - A
H History - A
H Maths - B

I am very pleased with my results. I want to do law at uni and i am slightly concerned that the B will affect that. Anyone know what my chances of getting into law are even though i didn't get five A's? It's also worth noting i need to apply for deferred entry.

You have the potential to have an excellent application with those grades provided your PS and references are as good as they can be :wink:

If you want more replies please post in the appropriate law forum.
Original post by JoeHent1995
I am in a similar situation to yourself with 4 A's and a B in English. I had been predicted an A but I'll appeal it :smile:

I'm not sure we can appeal, let alone if it'll be successful. With my school, they tell us we can't appeal unless there's a difference of 2 grades between what we were predicted and what we achieved. But still, B's pretty decent :smile:
Since I have an A in Spanish, I'm thinking of changing my course from LLB Law with EU Law to LLB Law with Spanish Law (five years). Is this possible?
Reply 1392
Anyone know how we find out our bands?
Reply 1393
WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I got 5As!:biggrin:

Higher Maths - A
Higher Human Biology - A
Higher English - A
Higher Chemistry - A
Higher Physics - A

I am soooooo relieved!:biggrin:
Reply 1394
I made my firm choice conditions - happy tears this morning! Congratulations to everyone on their results :biggrin:
What does it mean if one of the subjects is completely ommitted from the results certificate? My mate has biology completely missing from his paper. Still not had my results yet :-(
Reply 1396
Original post by kiwicake

Your school will know this info, they should let you know if you ask. :smile:
hi for standard grade modern studies i got a 1 for ku and 3 for es and my overall grade took me to a 2. On the sqa website on th higher modern studies page it say the entry requiremnt for higher modern studies is 1 , 2 or (possibly a 3). My question is will i be able to take higher modern studies or not due to my ES
. Ireally enjoy the subject
Original post by cgraham15
Since I have an A in Spanish, I'm thinking of changing my course from LLB Law with EU Law to LLB Law with Spanish Law (five years). Is this possible?

It'll be up to the university and wether they have any spaces left. Give them a call, you have nothing to loose with asking.

Original post by kiwicake

Your school will be able to give you them, go in or call. Although, expect them to be busy today so might be worth waiting a day or two if you just want to know out of interest, rather than it being part of an offer. :smile:
Original post by adykonvict
hi for standard grade modern studies i got a 1 for ku and 3 for es and my overall grade took me to a 2. On the sqa website on th higher modern studies page it say the entry requiremnt for higher modern studies is 1 , 2 or (possibly a 3). My question is will i be able to take higher modern studies or not due to my ES
. Ireally enjoy the subject

It's totally up to your school as to what level you sit. The SQA only give that as an indication of what most schools will expect. Speak to the head of the department and see if he'll allow you to sit the higher:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending