The Student Room Group

The Opening Ceremony

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mini-Cooper
Don't judge it if you haven't seen it.
You currently only have opinions from what the press have said. They also haven't seen it - so they will do their best to complain about it.

It is a very British countryside, you'll just have to wait to see it.

That may be the case but the only thing exclusively British are the four maypoles, as they're showing cricket, which is a British sport but it's played in all the commonwealth countries and we usually get beaten at it. Also, in New Zealand there's a 50 Sheep:1 Human ratio, so why are we showing 30 of them, when compared to other countries, we don't have that many.
Reply 21
Original post by EmilyAl
That may be the case but the only thing exclusively British are the four maypoles, as they're showing cricket, which is a British sport but it's played in all the commonwealth countries and we usually get beaten at it. Also, in New Zealand there's a 50 Sheep:1 Human ratio, so why are we showing 30 of them, when compared to other countries, we don't have that many.

Sorry but please tell me something that is exclusively British? There is nothing really in this country that you couldn't say you could find elsewhere in the world :rolleyes:

I saw the rehearsal like a couple of others on here and believe me I was doubtful about it but you need to realise that everything you've heard in the press is from limited sources and there is A LOT that has been kept very secret!

Also, they aren't fake patients on the hospital beds, you'll eat those words when you hear who they are later.

Can't say anymore really but trust me just watch it with an open mind. It's not meant to be like the Beijing one, it's very British and will make you proud :smile: (this coming from someone who is not a great fan of patriotism and nationalism!)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'm excited, sue me
Reply 23
What culture are they going to show?

People drinking Tea whilst tap dancing or suttin. :colonhash:

Spoiler

I think they should put a huge street dance show on. Since this country is one of the best at it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19000273

Seriously guys, here's a 30 second clip of it off the BBC. I'm sure, if that's anything to go by (and they won't show the best bits in the preview) it'll be fine.
Ok I feel like I've become crap at using google or something, but I can't seem to find much useful information regarding which places are showing the opening ceremony, so I'm turning to the expertise which is inevitably here

Does anyone have a list of locations in London which are showing the opening ceremony for free on a big screen (i.e. not Hyde Park which costs £60 to get into)?
I'm quite excited too. Everyone i've spoken to today seems to be wanting to watch it.

Is it a British trait to write something off before it even starts? :lol:
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Ok I feel like I've become crap at using google or something, but I can't seem to find much useful information regarding which places are showing the opening ceremony, so I'm turning to the expertise which is inevitably here

Does anyone have a list of locations in London which are showing the opening ceremony for free on a big screen (i.e. not Hyde Park which costs £60 to get into)?

Your local pub?
I'm thinking like open-air party styles in large public spaces... any other parks for example?
Original post by CJ

Is it a British trait to write something off before it even starts? :lol:

Definitely :tongue:.

I've heard good things about it from people who have been to the rehearsals. And apparently they didn't even have some of the best bits at them. I for one am very excited about tonight.
Reply 30
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
I'm thinking like open-air party styles in large public spaces... any other parks for example?

http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/200129/greenwich_2012_visitors/1266/watch_the_games_on_a_big_screen
It's going to fail anyway xD Everything does in this nation.
Original post by skunky x
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19000273

Seriously guys, here's a 30 second clip of it off the BBC. I'm sure, if that's anything to go by (and they won't show the best bits in the preview) it'll be fine.

'The spare tickets will be given to troops or children.'

God damn it... -.-
Original post by andyator55
'The spare tickets will be given to troops or children.'

God damn it... -.-

This is how that works in my head...

"Hey kid, here's a spare ticket to the London 2012 Olympics open ceremony. The only chance you'll get in your lifetime "

"But I don't want it"

"TAKE IT" :unimpressed:
christ, I hope we don't cock it up. :s-smilie:
Looks like I may miss most of the opening ceremony. I'm heading up from the south coast to Yorkshire tonight and might not get there until late.

I'll have to see if I can get it to work on my iPad...really don't want to miss it...
All ive heard is spice girls, Beckham, pole dancers, fake rain and children. Sounds quite tacky.

I want to see more brittish history, Alexander Mc Queen, the royal family, old country dancing, possiblely Susan boyal having tea, arctic monkeys, Alan Carr, open top buses, harry potter, British art work, British famers haha, british inventions, throw in some British humour and a big firework display and its perfect.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Xperia S
Original post by DontJudge
What culture are they going to show?

People drinking Tea whilst tap dancing or suttin. :colonhash:

Spoiler

I think they should put a huge street dance show on. Since this country is one of the best at it.

Could be worse.

If the USA was hosting it the official Olympic song would be "bababababa I'm lovin it'"
Anyway, some sort of news:

Apparently all four countries of the UK will be well represented, so I'd assume dragons for Wales etc.. and apparently the welsh choir Only Kids Aloud take part :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Miracle Day
Could be worse.

If the USA was hosting it the official Olympic song would be "bababababa I'm lovin it'"

You're right fam. Instead of shooting fireworks. USA would be shooting frenchfries. :indiff:

Quick Reply

Latest