The Student Room Group

Oxford English Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Has anyone got an interview at Regent's Park (PPH)?? Btw I am freaking out at my serious lack of preparation...I was so expecting to not get an interview :s-smilie:
Christ Church for me! My friend has decided to have a giant allnight party on Saturday night. Oh well... I can just sort of guess what happens in Dostoevsky... right?
I got an interview at Exeter - I can't wait!

And I'm also guessing about Dostoevsky...although since I never mentioned him, they won't expect me to have read him right?
dodgycupcake

And I'm also guessing about Dostoevsky...although since I never mentioned him, they won't expect me to have read him right?

If you look at the entrance requirements it does specify at least one Dostoevsky book:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/english_language_and_literature/english_language_a_1.html
N-17
Arghhh it's in less than a week! Anyonnnnnne have an interview at University College?

I do :yep: Looking forward to it?
Reply 65
omniamorsposcit
I do :yep: Looking forward to it?

A bit, but I'm mainly terrified! What subject are you applying for?
N-17
A bit, but I'm mainly terrified! What subject are you applying for?

English... You?
BethanW
Haha how about we have a code word. Like when someone asks you your name: "Hi, I'm Bethan. BANANA!". If they look at you stupid, their not from TSR :wink:

And nah, I'm just going to use the old iPhone :smile:

hi bethan! nice to see another fellow keble applicant :smile:
why would we need a laptop or iphone???
also how formal are you going for clothes and how many changes of clothes are you bringing haha?
Reply 68
alicetrampolining
hi bethan! nice to see another fellow keble applicant :smile:
why would we need a laptop or iphone???
also how formal are you going for clothes and how many changes of clothes are you bringing haha?

Um, I'm going to Jesus >< But nice to meet you anyway! :biggrin:
Reply 69
omniamorsposcit
English... You?

:eek: SAME! I'll be there Monday - Wednesday, I'll probably see you there then!
N-17
:eek: SAME! I'll be there Monday - Wednesday, I'll probably see you there then!

Sounds good; I'm there Sunday night - Tuesday/Wednesday. I'm Josh by the way, very pleased to meet you.
Reply 71
jollyrogera
If you look at the entrance requirements it does specify at least one Dostoevsky book:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/english_language_and_literature/english_language_a_1.html

:stupid:
Reply 72
You guys read any American literature?
dodgycupcake

There's nothing they will "expect" you to have read, bar the stuff you mention on your Personal Statement. Especially not Dostoyevsky - Oxford takes the 'English' part of 'English Literature' pretty seriously.

jollyrogera

What on earth are you talking about? :confused:

Eliastor

See the comment about Dostoyevsky above; though it's certainly not harmful to mention non-English authors, the course focuses very heavily on literature from England, so English authors are much more important to read/mention.
Reply 74
Eliastor

Some poetry but nothing too major.
There's a bit on my PS but that was really just to make Kent happy:p:
*pitseleh*
There's nothing they will "expect" you to have read, bar the stuff you mention on your Personal Statement. Especially not Dostoyevsky - Oxford takes the 'English' part of 'English Literature' pretty seriously.
What on earth are you talking about?

I was joking, of course they don't "expect" you to read any particular books, which is why I linked to their actual requirements. Sadly it seems nobody got it/ it really wasn't that funny. :frown:
Reply 76
jollyrogera
I was joking, of course they don't "expect" you to read any particular books, which is why I linked to their actual requirements. Sadly it seems nobody got it/ it really wasn't that funny. :frown:

You should have exaggerated a bit more.:wink:
jollyrogera

I got it/found it funny :smile: If people are looking for a book that might help them out then the Bible's always a good start. Although it's probably a little late to be starting that one now...
Eliastor

Just finished 'The Crying of Lot 49' by Thomas Pynchon and 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy (both brilliant) and mentioned Ray Bradbury, Philip K. Dick, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., and Nabokov (semi-American!) in my personal statement :s-smilie: maybe starting to regret that now!
It's not like they expect you to be clued up on the modern Americans; if I were to recommend anything at this late stage it would be some T.S.Eliot poetry ('The Waste Land' or 'The Hollow Men' perhaps).
Reply 79
jollyrogera

I got it, I got it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending