The Student Room Group

Indian hair oils: Dabur Amla and Dabur Vatika

I've been growing my hair for the past three years, I've managed to get it from a jaw length bob to half way between my shoulder and elbow. Last year my (now ex) boyfriend's mum recommended Dabur Amla hair oil to me, as she had the most gorgeous hip length hair and swore that her and all the females in their family used it. I started and my hair has grown alot over the past year and thickened up a lot.
Anyway, she also recommended an oil called Dabur Vatika. I didn't get round to buying any and now that i've seperated from her son I can't ask her if its better than amla oil. So has anybody used Dabur Vatika hair oil? Does it encourage growth? Any other Indian products you recommend?

These are the products if anybody's unsure:

Amla Oil: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AYURDEVA-Dabur-Amla-Haar%C3%B6l-300ml/dp/B000JWM7E6

Vatika Oil: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dabur-Vatika-Enriched-Coconut-150ml/dp/B001M5EV98/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1343423045&sr=1-1

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, try using coconut oil its really good for growing your hair i used to use it for several years but thought i should try something else so use vatika oil now although i find it makes my hair fall out loads. It really depends on what type of oil suits you. try the indian menthod of ghee herd thats really really good aswell but only leave that over night or so. otherwise just stick to amla oil otherwise trying different oils may make your hair fall out :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by izyy
Hi, try using coconut oil its really good for growing your hair i used to use it for several years but thought i should try something else so use vatika oil now although i find it makes my hair fall out loads. It really depends on what type of oil suits you. try the indian menthod of ghee herd thats really really good aswell but only leave that over night or so. otherwise just stick to amla oil otherwise trying different oils may make your hair fall out :smile:

What exactly is ghee herd? I've never heard of it but would be interested to try it :smile:. I didnt know it made hair fall out, is it bad for hair? I have had a lot of success with amla, although the smell is awful!
Reply 3
lol its just ghee.. i mean ive been told ghee is really good its just clarified butter have a look on google you'l understabnd it better :smile: ive tryed ghee once its was quite good to be honest its really good for the hair and yeah ghee doesnt smell too nice either lol same goes to vatika oils as vatika and amla oils are perfumed some smell ok some smell bad i might try amla oil now see if that works.. you can get ghee from indian grocery shops
Reply 4
Original post by skyhighheels
What exactly is ghee herd? I've never heard of it but would be interested to try it :smile:. I didnt know it made hair fall out, is it bad for hair? I have had a lot of success with amla, although the smell is awful!

lol its just ghee.. i mean ive been told ghee is really good its just clarified butter have a look on google you'l understabnd it better ive tryed ghee once its was quite good to be honest its really good for the hair and yeah ghee doesnt smell too nice either lol same goes to vatika oils as vatika and amla oils are perfumed some smell ok some smell bad i might try amla oil now see if that works.. you can get ghee from indian grocery shops
Reply 5
Original post by izyy
lol its just ghee.. i mean ive been told ghee is really good its just clarified butter have a look on google you'l understabnd it better ive tryed ghee once its was quite good to be honest its really good for the hair and yeah ghee doesnt smell too nice either lol same goes to vatika oils as vatika and amla oils are perfumed some smell ok some smell bad i might try amla oil now see if that works.. you can get ghee from indian grocery shops

Now I understand! There's loads of Indian grocery shops where I live so i'll definetly have a look, thank you :smile:. I really recommend amla oil, its done wonders for my hair! I keep it on overnight and my hair is so shiny afterwards!

Has anyone ever tried this: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Hesh-Amla-Powder.html?gclid=CI6U6__4v7ECFVAhfAodwDAALg
I used to use the Vatika oil and it's pretty good. It's basically coconut oil, infused with some Indian herbs and I actually think it smells quite nice! It's really cheap so I'd give it a go :smile: Coconut oil is generally amazing for your hair anyway. Only coconut oil and argan oil actually penetrate through the hair shaft to strengthen it. My mum swears using it since she was young has helped stop her hair from going grey too and apparently there are studies which support this. Her hair is still fully dark brown at fifty so who knows? Anyway, yes, I recommend it though coconut oil is just as good IMO.
Reply 7
Now I understand! There's loads of Indian grocery shops where I live so i'll definetly have a look, thank you :smile:. I really recommend amla oil, its done wonders for my hair! I keep it on overnight and my hair is so shiny afterwards!

Has anyone ever tried this: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Hesh-Amla-Powder.html?gclid=CI6U6__4v7ECFVAhfAodwDAALg

yeah i tend to use hair oil because my hair falls out alot.. when i was younger i use to have long black thick hair then stopped using coconut oil as i got older and my hair falls out loads.. so at the moment trying other oils to like vatika. oh and your welcome :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Boom.Squish
I used to use the Vatika oil and it's pretty good. It's basically coconut oil, infused with some Indian herbs and I actually think it smells quite nice! It's really cheap so I'd give it a go :smile: Coconut oil is generally amazing for your hair anyway. Only coconut oil and argan oil actually penetrate through the hair shaft to strengthen it. My mum swears using it since she was young has helped stop her hair from going grey too and apparently there are studies which support this. Her hair is still fully dark brown at fifty so who knows? Anyway, yes, I recommend it though coconut oil is just as good IMO.

thats the one im using at the moment. My hair falls out loads with that. might just stick to gong back to normal coconut oil
Reply 9
Thanks for all the advice, I bought some vatika today and it smells gorgeous! I'm going to apply it them make a brahmi pack :smile:
All asian households have amla(incl me)........ boy does it stink :stink:
Reply 11
It really does stink lol, i'm not asian but my ex boyfriend was and i'd put it on my hair whenever I was at his house, the smell really wasn't appreciated at my house! It does help hair LOADS though :smile:
Reply 12
haha no problem :smile:.. yeah smells bad!
I have also been growing my hair for 3+ years. It's getting hard to manage, but Argan oil is one thing that is keeping me from cutting it. I have tried many brands, but now I use a pure product from Essence of Argan and only use a couple of drops on the tips of the hair, and also rubbed roughly on my scalp.
I've been growing my hair for the past three years, I've managed to get it from a jaw length bob to half way between my shoulder and elbow. Last year my (now ex) boyfriend's mum recommended Dabur Amla hair oil to me, as she had the most gorgeous hip length hair and swore that her and all the females in their family used it. I started and my hair has grown alot over the past year and thickened up a lot.
Anyway, she also recommended an oil called Dabur Vatika. I didn't get round to buying any and now that i've seperated from her son I can't ask her if its better than amla oil. So has anybody used Dabur Vatika hair oil? Does it encourage growth? Any other Indian products you recommend?

These are the products if anybody's unsure:

Amla Oil: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AYURDEVA-Dabur-Amla-Haar%C3%B6l-300ml/dp/B000JWM7E6

Vatika Oil: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dabur-Vatika-Enriched-Coconut-150ml/dp/B001M5EV98/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1343423045&sr=1-1

Thank you :smile:

Hi SkyHighHeels,

Congratulations for the growth of your hair. I think, not just Amla but you need just more than one ingredient. I have come across and used an amazing new hair oil that is "Paraben Free" and is enriched with Amla and 20 other hair nutrition providing herbs. It is a complete ayurvedic hair oil and its name is Trellis Hair Oil.

You can buy this amazing product from any of the following purchase points - Amazon, Flipkart and Snapdeal

Do let me know after you have used this oil.
Thanks.
Reply 15
It really does stink lol, i'm not asian but my ex boyfriend was and i'd put it on my hair whenever I was at his house, the smell really wasn't appreciated at my house! It does help hair LOADS though :smile:

You're racist
Reply 16

You're a racist

Latest