The Student Room Group

Results Day: Check Track before collecting results?

This poll is closed

How are you going to get your results?

I'll check Track first! 81%
I'm going into school to get the results first!19%
Total votes: 691
Hi guys! :h:

Results Day is coming up soon, and I was just wondering how students are going to get the news about their university applications! That's to say, are you going to try and check Track first to find out if you've been successful or not (I mean, if it's working!), or do you feel better going into school and getting your actual results?

Personally, I have no idea! On the one hand I really want to know what my results are, how many UMS marks I got, and so on. Track seems a little too direct in the sense that you either have an 'unconditional' or have been 'unsuccessful'!
But on the other hand I think I'd feel better knowing the success or failure of my application in the privacy of my own home. Also, if Track is working at 8am like people say, that's one less hour spent in limbo! :biggrin:

TSR says:

"Many school and college advisers are concerned that logging in early to Track is all very well if the news is good, but if the news is disappointing they would rather be on hand to support you through deciding what to do. In the end it's up to you. Don't let yourself be pressurised, by all your TSR mates who are logging in and posting the results, into doing the same if you would rather not. It may help to decide in advance what you want to do, bearing in mind the possible outcomes:

The good news is that you find out early whether you have a confirmed place at your Firm, though this doesn't necessarily mean that you got your grades.
The slightly less good news is that you find out you got in to your Insurance, but not to your Firm, or that you have got in to your Firm but for a different course (you don't have to accept this alternative, though).
The less good news is that you may find that nothing has changed or only your insurance offer has been updated (see above for possible reasons for this), which leaves you in 'no man's land' until you can get hold of your results and start ringing unis to find out why your place hasn't been confirmed/plead your case as appropriate.
The really bad news is that you may find that you have been unsuccessful for both choices, so that you are now in Clearing. Again, you are in 'no man's land' until you can get hold of your actual results and see what's what.
It is also possible that you will find that your Track hasn't changed at all - this is not that unusual and does not necessarily mean bad news. The only thing you can do in this case is get hold of your results ASAP so that you can see whether you have met your offer/s."

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If I knew that there would be a 95% chance of getting into my firm/insurance uni I would go on to track, but since this is not the case I will go in and collect so that in the event of not getting in I can get advice about remarks.

Overall it doesn't make a difference, but I would rather be disappointed at college than at home.
Reply 2
My school refuses to open any earlier than 10.30am to let us get our results, and they aren't organised enough to set up the online results thing. There is no way I'm waiting until 10.30.
Reply 3
I simply must go to my school to collect them! I'm not sure why exactly but I am completely unwilling to find out via Track.

Edit: why the hell have I been negged for expressing how I personally want to collect my results? It mystifies.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm 100% trying track first, just because I'll want to know!

But, if I can't get on, I'll go in and get my results.

I'd like to be guaranteed to find out in the privacy of my own home, but there isnt the guarantee of it working or not. I just can't bare the idea of not getting in in a room full of people that did :bawling:

BUT I guess I need to know soon as possible because if I haven't got in, I need to sort out what will happen next.

I will definately be trying track in the morning :smile:
Reply 5
ahh yes! ive been waiting for a thread like this to pop up.
Ive missed my firm (cuz of AQAs stupid ECON3 exam) and i have no insurance so im 95% sure im in clearing. atleast by checking UCAS at 8am (if it works) and finding out for certain my situation. I can get the telegraph on the way to school and find out where (most likely ECON3) it all went wrong when i get my results.
Sounds like a plan?
I'll probably check Track. I'm feeling confident so I won't be getting up at 6am or doing an all-nighter but I probably won't be getting results until 9 or 10. I don't really care about the actual results as long as I meet my firm offer.
Reply 7
I think I'm going to check Track at like 8:45 as my school opens at 9, so if the news is bad I can react however I like in private (probably cry) and then go and get advice straight away, rather than being sat at home not knowing what to do for an hour, and if the news is good I can just confidently stroll into school. Although having said that I will probably be obsessively refreshing Track at 8 :biggrin:
Reply 8
My school is opening at 8am for results anyway so I can't check before hand :smile:
Reply 9
I'm not sure what to do. I want to know as soon as possible wether I got into my firm choice but I think I'll be too nervous to check. My sixth form is open early, and urging people who are unsuccessful (from checking track) to come in early.

I'm getting so nervous for results day.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 10
Two years ago I checked track first. Was angry because my firm still said decision pending. If I had of checked my results first would have been upset rather than anger.
Part of me wants to do it... Sit on the train, walk up to school, open that envelope... Knowing that I could already have known by now... All this waiting, shall we wait a little more?
I know that if I slip my grades I may still get into my firm, so if I find out at school I've got AAB, I don't then want the uncertainty of the walk home dying to find out where I'm going.

Also if I haven't got in at all I'd rather not find that out in front of a room full of people.
Everyone who's worried about track not updating, UCAS have changed their email update policy! They will now email us whether we have got into our firm or insurance now probably as a security blanket so there isn't a repeat of last year..

Changes to UCAS email policy
To ensure you remain informed about the status of your application, we have changed our email policy. We had said that we would not send you emails with information about the decisions made by institutions, but we do now plan to send emails to applicants about the status of their offers. This will ensure that you get information much more quickly.
The only thing that matters to me is getting in, dont really care if the A is 80% or 97%

So will check track first, so desperate to know if i got in
Reply 15
Original post by ellasmith
Everyone who's worried about track not updating, UCAS have changed their email update policy! They will now email us whether we have got into our firm or insurance now probably as a security blanket so there isn't a repeat of last year..

Changes to UCAS email policy
To ensure you remain informed about the status of your application, we have changed our email policy. We had said that we would not send you emails with information about the decisions made by institutions, but we do now plan to send emails to applicants about the status of their offers. This will ensure that you get information much more quickly.

I got this, and me (and some of my friends) read it as they'll email us as soon as they know, and as unis get our results up to a week in advance of results day and make a decision. Surely this means we can get an email letting us know from the 9th onwards? (A week before A level results day). They werent very clear

Or they'll email us letting us know on the 16th?

I hope its the second one..
Reply 16
I also just had an email from UCAS about changes to their policy, so hopefully we should all find out sooner as we don't have to log into track and worry about it crashing :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by tuckaa
I got this, and me (and some of my friends) read it as they'll email us as soon as they know, and as unis get our results up to a week in advance of results day and make a decision. Surely this means we can get an email letting us know from the 9th onwards? (A week before A level results day). They werent very clear

From what I could gather from the email, those who took scottish highers will find out from the 9th onwards as their results are released before A levels, then for those taking A levels we find out on the 16th :smile:
I won't be able to sleep before checking Track, so I'll have to do that first! The results will be emailed anyway.
Original post by tuckaa

No, no no on the 16th they will publish decisions because if students got their decision before others it gives people an unfair advantage with clearing yada yada yada. Also, universities don't get our results until the 13th of August anyway.

Some universities don't update their decisions til 8am on the Thursday because someone might have just missed their offer and they are still deciding whether to accept or reject.

Good luck!!!! Im so scared already :emo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending