The Student Room Group

13inch or 15 inch mac

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 3mmz
Thanks for the reply. Did you buy a virus software for your mac and also do you get Microsoft word on student discount?

No problem :smile: I honestly dont think the 15 inch is worth the extra money. No i didnt buy any virus software, my friends told me it wasnt necessary for a mac but I may research it a bit more.

Nope I havent got word or anything yet as I wont need it till september, and I dont know if you can get it on discount. But if you buy the mac with student discount at an apple store or whatever theres an offer where you get a free £70 app store voucher. The guy in apple showed me a programme called 'pages' which is basically the mac version of word and I think im just going to get that. He showed me how to save files so that they can be used on word and showed the same thing with the mac version of Powerpoint and excel and it seems easy enough. Even without the £70 voucher, they only cost about £13 each so its way cheaper than forking out £100 just for 3 programmes
Original post by 3mmz
Thanks for the reply. Did you buy a virus software for your mac and also do you get Microsoft word on student discount?

Original post by yb93
No problem :smile: I honestly dont think the 15 inch is worth the extra money. No i didnt buy any virus software, my friends told me it wasnt necessary for a mac but I may research it a bit more.

Nope I havent got word or anything yet as I wont need it till september, and I dont know if you can get it on discount. But if you buy the mac with student discount at an apple store or whatever theres an offer where you get a free £70 app store voucher. The guy in apple showed me a programme called 'pages' which is basically the mac version of word and I think im just going to get that. He showed me how to save files so that they can be used on word and showed the same thing with the mac version of Powerpoint and excel and it seems easy enough. Even without the £70 voucher, they only cost about £13 each so its way cheaper than forking out £100 just for 3 programmes

you most definitely do need anti-virus programs for your mac. there are a few virus's floating around at the moment and they're going to become an increasing problem.

as for office software either go for the apple versions, or buy microsoft office for mac off software4students.
Reply 22
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
you most definitely do need anti-virus programs for your mac. there are a few virus's floating around at the moment and they're going to become an increasing problem.

as for office software either go for the apple versions, or buy microsoft office for mac off software4students.

:mad:
oh is it. what one do you recommend?

i was told not to get a virus software as it will slow the laptop down and it's not needed so now you mention it.......
gaming - 15" (u need the 2.7GHz processor as a lot of games need 2.3/2.4/2.5....+)

nearly everything else - 13"
Reply 24
Original post by yb93

Ahh i've heard of pages, numbers etc.... I don't think i will buy word at the moment if pages is basically similar (which is looks to be), as what is the point of forking out £50 or so on Word? May get it in the future if i need too.

did you get the 8gb memory or you stuck to 4gb?
Reply 25
Original post by Mister Dead
I think I used to use my laptop keyboard, but I don't see any reason you couldn't use a USB keybard and mouse. In fact yeah, my old housmate had a really nice apple keyboard and wireless mouse he used, so when he was at home it was basically like a desktop computer with a big screen.

I'm not sure exactly which cable because I think the newer macs have a different connector to mine, but all you need is a cable that connects the HDMI out on your mac to a standard HDMI cable that goes into the back of the monitor. Mine was just called a HDMI to Mini HDMI adapter and cost about a tenner, but a newer mac needs a slightly differnt one. But if you are unsure then just give apple a call or pop into a store, or even PC world or an independent computer shop will tell you which. I have two or three friends that all have their macs hooked up to a decent monitor for home use. It really is a better option by miles and cheaper, so long as you don't think you'll need the extra size macbook screen when you are out and about.

So you need

mac
monitor
speakers + cable to go from headphone output on mac to speaker input
HDMI lead (prob comes with monitor)
Apple HDMI lead adapter for whatever HDMI output the mac has

£1200 approx (minus your student discount for mac) and any computer shop will tell you which leads.

Buy speakers and monitor from Amazon as will be cheaper than shops.

Ahh thanks for that, you really helped me out and saved me a fortune!:colondollar:

I think i will buy the laptop 13' and then as time goes on and i get a bit more money, i will buy an external screen like you have said. I just cant justify spending over 1,000 on a laptop especially when i am a student and not a very rich one!

I guess i should get used to the 13 screen.
Reply 26
Original post by 3mmz
:mad:
oh is it. what one do you recommend?

i was told not to get a virus software as it will slow the laptop down and it's not needed so now you mention it.......

You don't need Anti-Virus at this moment in time. There are still no viruses which can be described as being out in the wild (spreading rapidly during normal day to day operations), most viruses for Macs are so tiny they're only proof of concepts. Before anybody is like "lol flashback" that wasn't a virus, it was a trojan and most of the mainstream AV software would not have stopped the trojan.

However this could all change as no platform is immune to virus attacks.

If you /really/ want AV software, then the only useful Anti-Virus software for a Mac is ClamXav. The mainstream ones run on elevated privileges which can actually heighten your chance to vulnerabilities.

Read more about it here: http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Virus/Malware_FAQ
Reply 27
Original post by PVisitors
You don't need Anti-Virus at this moment in time. There are still no viruses which can be described as being out in the wild (spreading rapidly during normal day to day operations), most viruses for Macs are so tiny they're only proof of concepts. Before anybody is like "lol flashback" that wasn't a virus, it was a trojan and most of the mainstream AV software would not have stopped the trojan.

However this could all change as no platform is immune to virus attacks.

If you /really/ want AV software, then the only useful Anti-Virus software for a Mac is ClamXav. The mainstream ones run on elevated privileges which can actually heighten your chance to vulnerabilities.

Read more about it here: http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Virus/Malware_FAQ

Oh i see. Have you got an anti virus system on your mac?
Also do you recommend any cleaning software like ccleaner?

Do you reckon i should download clamXav?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 3mmz

Ccleaner just cleans temporary files and stuff - nice to have and I use it almost daily but it's not essential by any means. It's a very light program and doesn't run in the background so I guess you may as well use it :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by 3mmz

Been using Macs since I was around 13 and have never installed antivirus software, never had a virus or trojan on my Mac.

I recommend cleaning software like ccleaner for maintenance, nothing wrong with that. In regards to ClamXav, I wouldn't download it myself but if you really want to feel extra secure, then thats the software I would recommend you get over anything else. At this moment in time antivirus isn't really needed for OSX.
Original post by 3mmz
Errrrr the MacBook air. I need a cd slot to pay DVDs

You can buy the superdrive and use it in the rare occasions you need to watch DVD's.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD564ZM/A
I personally use the 15inch because I rarely ever go to uni with my laptop.
Original post by 3mmz

There is a rundown of Mac security software here:

http://lifehacker.com/5800267/the-non+alarmists-guide-to-mac-malware-protection

And a good blog post on keeping your Mac secure here:

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2012/04/09/8-things-to-help-keep-your-mac-secure/

Although some of the measures are a little advanced...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by BoringComputerGuy
There is a rundown of Mac security software here:

http://lifehacker.com/5800267/the-non+alarmists-guide-to-mac-malware-protection

And a good blog post on keeping your Mac secure here:

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2012/04/09/8-things-to-help-keep-your-mac-secure/

Although some of the measures are a little advanced...

I'd ignore any blog recommending people download Sophos for Mac. It runs on elevated privileges = avoid.
I'd ignore any blog recommending people download Sophos for Mac. It runs on elevated privileges = avoid.

Anti-virus software typically runs on elevated privileges in order to be effective, this is also true on Windows. The guide you linked on Mac rumors cites two posts from a forum user as the source of this information that Sophos is potentially harmful to your security. Forgive me if I find it rather hard to believe that every major security vendor except those producing ClamXav and VirusBarrier express would just overlook this. Can you show me a case where these security products were demonstrated to be exploitable, in the wild OR in a proof-of-concept scenario? Because that forum user doesn't provide any evidence for his claims...

I could be wrong here, but I'm a little sceptical.

Edit: A member of the Sophos software development team actually responds to these claims in a thread here:

http://openforum.sophos.com/t5/Sophos-Anti-Virus-for-Mac-Home/Sophos-should-be-avoided-as-it-could-actually-increase-your-Mac/td-p/5583
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
13 inch definitely. can lie down on the sofa with it comfortably! before i got mine i thought it would be too small having previously used a 15 inch dell...much prefer my 13 :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by BoringComputerGuy
Anti-virus software typically runs on elevated privileges in order to be effective, this is also true on Windows. The guide you linked on Mac rumors cites two posts from a forum user as the source of this information that Sophos is potentially harmful to your security. Forgive me if I find it rather hard to believe that every major security vendor except those producing ClamXav and VirusBarrier express would just overlook this. Can you show me a case where these security products were demonstrated to be exploitable, in the wild OR in a proof-of-concept scenario? Because that forum user doesn't provide any evidence for his claims...

I could be wrong here, but I'm a little sceptical.

Edit: A member of the Sophos software development team actually responds to these claims in a thread here:

http://openforum.sophos.com/t5/Sophos-Anti-Virus-for-Mac-Home/Sophos-should-be-avoided-as-it-could-actually-increase-your-Mac/td-p/5583

Nothing to do with one Mac forum poster, who nonetheless is actually well reputed on the issue of Computer Security, so we're not talking about some tom, dick or harry off the street. Any person within the computer security industry will tell you to avoid elevated privileges Anti-Virus it's a huge no no. Someone I know who is a penetration tester will tell his clients to change AV if they're using AV software using this philosophy.

I'm not excluding Sophos here as some other mainstream AV software for Mac operate in the same way. However it's not something I would want from AV software if I was to choose to run one and nonetheless, elevated privileges aside, ClamXav is still a stronger AV package than Sophos and completely free (no free trial or limited features modes etc).

Edit: http://www.securitytracker.com/id/1019945

http://securitytracker.com/id/1024089

http://lock.cmpxchg8b.com/Sophail.pdf

And so on, it can have the potential to be a damning exploit.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 3mmz
I have saved 1k for a mac, which i thought i would be the 13inch mac book pro. However i am concerned about the screen size. The 13inch looks tiny compared to the 15, but the 15' mac is obviously a lot more expensive.

Not sure if i should buy the 13 or wait till next year and save again.....for the 15inch mac

I'm going for the 13 inch as my mum has the 15 inch model and it is noticeably very heavy, even when just carrying it around the house so isn't very portable (we rarely take it outside of the house because it is so heavy and cumbersome). As others have said, just get a larger monitor for a couple hundred pounds to use alongside the 13 inch mac if you really want a bigger screen.
Why and how has no one made a penis joke yet?! :ahee:

These exploits affect the Windows version of Sophos, and are from 2008 and 2009...

Fair do's on this one, it does appear to highlight some flaws in Sophos. However, it states:

"The results presented below were obtained using Sophos Antivirus 9.5 for Windows..."

Theere is also a response to this paper from Sophos here:
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/08/05/tavis-ormandy-and-sophos/

Nothing to do with one Mac forum poster, who nonetheless is actually well reputed on the issue of Computer Security, so we're not talking about some tom, dick or harry off the street.

Okay, I'll take your word for it.

Any person within the computer security industry will tell you to avoid elevated privileges Anti-Virus it's a huge no no.

But by your own admission many security vendors use root privileges in their products? As you stated here:

I'm not excluding Sophos here as some other mainstream AV software for Mac operate in the same way.

The forum poster we discussed also seemed to imply that most of the Mac anti-virus products use root privileges.

ClamXav is still a stronger AV package than Sophos and completely free (no free trial or limited features modes etc).

Can you link me to some test results for ClamXav vs other Mac anti-virus? Sophos, and some other Mac security software is also completely free btw, not a limited trial...
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending