The Student Room Group

Tia Sharp- are we really surprised?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Harry Callahan
Either way, it's still very young.

So? Back before "Labour ruined the country" etc, people were having kids at 14 and dying before they were 50...
Reply 61
Original post by Fynch101
The reason people laugh at you for reading the daily mail is that so many arguments made in that paper jump to conclusions for the effect of getting the reader (which is always a certain type of individual) to say "YES!".

1) The only main news websites are:

-Daily mail (far-fetches, but you can just about grasp the truth if you read between the lines)
-Express (horrendous website design)
-Telegraph (great read, but doesn't cover non-political domestic issues much)
-Guardian (need I say anything.....)
-Independent (never read)
-Sun (for dip****s who need colour to draw their attention)
-Mirror (for dip****s who need colour to draw their attention)
-Times (subscription only)

2) Now this is where you're wrong. Go on the daily mail, website- lets do it right now:

"Grandmother and neighbour arrested in Tia Sharp murder inquiry"

that's a headline. It can also be verified to see if it is a fact. I dont need to read the article- that IS the news. So what's your problem?

Lets look at the guardian website:

"Tia Sharp's grandmother and her neighbour arrested"

BBC website:

"Tia grandmother held over murder"

so they all have the same headline- so the DM isn't reporting inaccurate headlines is it? All I read are the headlines.....

The contents of my first post were based on minimal FACTS which were reported in more than one newspaper. I got the image from the DM article- is it inaccurate? No, its a photo.

So in short- criticise people who read the DM articles in full and then go "omgz that is soooooooooooooo well bad"- but don't go around thinking you sit on a high horse just because some people use the DM to catch a SUMMARY of the main news.
Original post by Barden
So? Back before "Labour ruined the country" etc, people were having kids at 14 and dying before they were 50...

Times have changed.
Reply 63
Original post by billydisco
You've identified the TSR users I was describing as "the majority" when I never mentioned who they were.... so you've just in effect confirmed what I thought??

My point is that TSR is full of dip**** leftie liberals who think they know how the world works. They base their information from what they read in the Guardian and have probably never visited a deprived area in their lives. The closest they get to is probably travelling past on the train going into London to go shopping with mummy and daddy.

Anybody who mentions a word of reality in these forums is instantly labelled a DM reader (better than a Guardian reader).

Just look how I have been labelled "bigot" and "racist" because I have pointed out a backed-up fact that a significant proportion of crime is committed by eastern europeans, especially in relation to their representation. The cultural and social issues regarding these groups is worrying......

Did you know many police forces now have an officer responsible for handling issues with these very groups? Wonder why? It's not a language issue because there are no officers specially assigned to french/italian/german or other nationalities.....

In short, TSR is a hotbed for Tony Blair and Nick Clegg wannabes. At least Cameron seems to be bothered and isn't as arrogant as "im always right" Blair or "spit my dummy out" Clegg.

that's why i said you referred to the majority of TSR users. am i a leftie? are most of us? i most certainly am not a dip****.

nobody will listen to you if you are angry and confrontational - it takes absolutely all power away from your argument. when people don't agree with you, you're meant to come up with a logical and evidence-based argument in response; repeating what you've already mentioned in a biased rant is not going to help your cause.

don't be so condescending - how many people do you actually know that go shopping in london with 'mummy and daddy' and haven't a clue about the world? i live in london, and have gone shopping with my mum. i have also travelled on the train through deprived areas. i don't generally visit areas that have a high level of deprivation because i don't live there and neither do most of my friends, so i have no reason to. i have however been to such places on occasion, and i live in a council house. i do know about the world, but i don't claim to know everything. and just because i don't live in a run-down estate doesn't mean i don't live in the real world - living in a mansion is still the real world! i live in a perfectly normal council house and am as connected with other people as i want to be.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
People get murdered (sadly) all the time, in all types of family situation. Is it actually any more common in working class homes? Is the age of the grandmother relevant at all?
And what on earth does this have to do with immigration?
Reply 65
With these type of stories, most likely the victim would have know the culprit.

Not surprised tbh but it's unfortunate.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 66
1) The only main news websites are:

-Daily mail (far-fetches, but you can just about grasp the truth if you read between the lines)
-Express (horrendous website design)
-Telegraph (great read, but doesn't cover non-political domestic issues much)
-Guardian (need I say anything.....)
-Independent (never read)
-Sun (for dip****s who need colour to draw their attention)
-Mirror (for dip****s who need colour to draw their attention)
-Times (subscription only)

2) Now this is where you're wrong. Go on the daily mail, website- lets do it right now:

that's a headline. It can also be verified to see if it is a fact. I dont need to read the article- that IS the news. So what's your problem?

Lets look at the guardian website:

BBC website:

so they all have the same headline- so the DM isn't reporting inaccurate headlines is it? All I read are the headlines.....

The contents of my first post were based on minimal FACTS which were reported in more than one newspaper. I got the image from the DM article- is it inaccurate? No, its a photo.

So in short- criticise people who read the DM articles in full and then go "omgz that is soooooooooooooo well bad"- but don't go around thinking you sit on a high horse just because some people use the DM to catch a SUMMARY of the main news.

Your argument would actually make sense if all newspapers did was to issue a paper with a headline and nothing else. I explicitly mentioned the arguments in the daily mail, not the headlines.

I don't sit on any high horse. Nothing I wrote used hyperbole, yet your persistence in this respect continues to ironically echo tabloid 'journalism'.

You defended people who read the daily mail, so I responded to that. What I wrote was not in reference to your reading of this very news story. As is made perfectly clear if you would actually carefully read what both you and I have written.
The family situation is odd and less than ideal, but even so it's horrifying that an innocent girl was found dead after being reported missing in her Grandmother's home, a woman who you are supposed to be able to trust.

My thoughts are with Tia, and the family members/friends who were misled (that's assuming that the Grandmother and Hazell are guilty).

To be honest "billydisco", you have strong opinions, but now isn't the best time to vent your views on immigration or council house tenants, as it's distasteful given the circumstances. It seems that you're repeating the numerous threads you've made, using this case to fuel a "debate".

I just hope the internet anonymity is making you more extreme than how you'd appear in real life. Otherwise, you need some compassion as this is a disturbing case.
Times have changed.

Exactly... for the better. People having children at 17 rather than 14 isn't the slide backwards that you're making it out to be.

I really don't understand why people romanticise the past, and hence why socially conservative values persist: life was sh*t for most people in the past.
Re immigrants

A lot of TSR users openly defend eastern european immigration without actually living in an area which is flooded with them. Just like Tony Blair, they support actions they don't have to live with.

Actually I go to a school where 30% of intake is from students of this background- many of these people do not speak English.

Yes we do have problems where they do not fit in or try, backing up the stereotype but at the same time the majority do work, do try and are kind and loving people ... Just like all the "pure British people" are...

This was posted from TheLightbulbKid - voicing an opinion and attempting to give advice :smile:
Original post by Wulf chan
Why do most people on here have to have an opinion about everything?

Yeah, anyone would think that it's an internet forum!

I am a proud leftie. I am certainly not out of touch - family issues as well as my work related activities have kept me in touch with the real world. I think that the OP is talking a load of rubbish.

The fact that he is doing the above on the back of a young girl's murder is rather distasteful.
46 is very young to be a grandmother. That means she had her daughter when she was around 15, and her daughter had her daughter when she was around 17.

46 really isn't that young to be a grandmother. My gran was younger than that when I was born, and no we aren't on benefits, 2 out of 3 of her children went to university and I'm also going to go. Stop stereotyping.
46 is very young to be a grandmother. That means she had her daughter when she was around 15, and her daughter had her daughter when she was around 17.

Your maths is wrong. My gran was 46 when I was born, she had my mum when she was 23, and my mum had me at 23. :rolleyes:
Original post by canŵio
that's why i said you referred to the majority of TSR users. am i a leftie? are most of us? i most certainly am not a dip****.

nobody will listen to you if you are angry and confrontational - it takes absolutely all power away from your argument. when people don't agree with you, you're meant to come up with a logical and evidence-based argument in response; repeating what you've already mentioned in a biased rant is not going to help your cause.

don't be so condescending - how many people do you actually know that go shopping in london with 'mummy and daddy' and haven't a clue about the world? i live in london, and have gone shopping with my mum. i have also travelled on the train through deprived areas. i don't generally visit areas that have a high level of deprivation because i don't live there and neither do most of my friends, so i have no reason to. i have however been to such places on occasion, and i live in a council house. i do know about the world, but i don't claim to know everything. and just because i don't live in a run-down estate doesn't mean i don't live in the real world - living in a mansion is still the real world! i live in a perfectly normal council house and am as connected with other people as i want to be.

This whole thread is jack****, just picked this post at random to highlight it.
WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL!?!?!
I agree her family situation seems like the norm for weird things to happen but a twelve year old girl has been murdered by someone she thought was close to her. So have a little respect.

Also, OP's ridicolous assumption that lefties live in 4 bed houses in cul-de-sacs, actually, lefties are more likely to be the people on council estates because labour support the benefits culture jack**** that conservatives doesnt.
Conservative is the primary part for the middle-upper class.
Labour is ****ed up.
But theres a time and a place, and this is NOT IT.
Have some respect.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by TheLightBulb
Actually I go to a school where 30% of intake is from students of this background- many of these people do not speak English.

Yes we do have problems where they do not fit in or try, backing up the stereotype but at the same time the majority do work, do try and are kind and loving people ... Just like all the "pure British people" are...

This was posted from TheLightbulbKid - voicing an opinion and attempting to give advice :smile:

You think 30% is significant? The fact you think that's bad clearly shows you have no idea what constitutes as "bad".....

And what about where you live? If 30% at school is the worst you experience I can't quite see you experiencing anything worse at home.....

This isnt a pure british people vs immigrants. This is eastern europeans vs everyone else. Like I already said, if you invite half of romania to live here, guess what our culture will turn like- romania. I think its safe to say most people dont want our culture to be like romania....
If you're on about me, I'll post what I want when I want. I said it was a tragic event. This isn't a condolence thread anyway, I was answering the OP.

And I presume the BBC bit is sarcasm? Because the BBC are the most liberal corporation going.

If I was talking about you I wouldve quoted you directly. So no this was not about you.
Reply 76
All those who are talking about the lack of respect of some posters - did you not see the title?
i don't think you should judge the entire "underclass" from this one event. but no, i wasn't surprised at all. there was just something about that family. the step-grandad disappeared, so did the mum, the grandmother, none of them could quite get their stories straight. i don't know who actually did it, but they all know more than they're letting on i think....
Reply 78
You think 30% is significant? The fact you think that's bad clearly shows you have no idea what constitutes as "bad".....

And what about where you live? If 30% at school is the worst you experience I can't quite see you experiencing anything worse at home.....

This isnt a pure british people vs immigrants. This is eastern europeans vs everyone else. Like I already said, if you invite half of romania to live here, guess what our culture will turn like- romania. I think its safe to say most people dont want our culture to be like romania....

I'm willing to bet you know absolutely nothing about Romanian culture.

Not that it matters, because British culture is not going to change into Romanian culture. So relax.
Reply 79
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
Your maths is wrong. My gran was 46 when I was born, she had my mum when she was 23, and my mum had me at 23. :rolleyes:

Tia is 12 though, not just born.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending