The Student Room Group

Anyone felt they did terrible in an exam but got a brilliant result?

So you did an exam and it was so hard and you felt you did awful in that exam. Is it possible you might surprise yourself with a very high score? Has anyone else had a really bad exam but done really well?
Original post by Ambitious1999
So you did an exam and it was so hard and you felt you did awful in that exam. Is it possible you might surprise yourself with a very high score? Has anyone else had a really bad exam but done really well?

Yes this was me when I did my English GCSEs!! Could never get more than a 4/5 in my mocks and class assessments. Needed a 6 in either literature or language to get into the sixth form I wanted to go to, spent the whole of Y11 terrified I wouldn’t get in. Did loads of work between Christmas up to exams after failing my Y11 December mocks again. Thought I had failed again after doing the real exam, I couldn’t keep up with the timing and thought all my paragraphs were a mess as I had no time to plan and didn’t finish half my essays. Came out of all four papers in tears. Thought I’d get like a 3 in lit and a 4/5 in lang. Spent the whole summer panicking. I got 9s in both
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ambitious1999

Yep- OCR GCSE computing this year, paper 2. I felt I didn’t know what to write or what to do on almost every question. I came out really depressed (along with pretty much everyone else in the country) and thinking I’d blown it. I was stressed out the whole summer as I was planning to do it for A level. However, I actually got 77/80 on that paper, and a 9 overall! So I can say it’s definitely possible.
Yes. I did quite bad in A level business unit 1 and 2. I was expecting to get B and then later C because how everyone was saying that grades would fall this year.

Ended up getting As in both.
Reply 4
No, I always had a realistic sense of how I'd done and it has borne out every time.
Reply 5
When I did my grade 5 practical piano exam, I actually though I was going to fail. My piano teacher was ready to give up teaching me because I was doing so bad. The week of my piano exam, I forgot half of my a piece and I was terrible at anything. At least during the exam, there was only one sharp in the key signature for signt reading but I messed up on aural a little bit. My scales were the worst, I had to restart most of them. I re did the staccato scale 7 times. At this point, I was hoping to just about pass. Yet through all of this, I got 127/150 (merit). I was honestly so surprised. My music teacher didn't believe me, but after I showed him my certificate, he boasted that one of his students (me) almost got distinction for grade 5...

Quick Reply

Latest