The Student Room Group

Exeter Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Ah. I have an explanation for why comparatively low UKCAT scores are seen in those with achieved grades.
Here is a quote from the 2011/12 Peninsula Selection Admissions Technical Manual:

The College uses the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) in order to
make more informed choices from amongst the many applicants who
apply with predicted grades for a place on the BMBS programme.
Under normal circumstances, all applicants applying with predicted
grades
must have completed a valid UKCAT test within the year of
application, unless an exemption from the test has been granted by
UKCAT. UKCAT test results are used alongside the academic
information provided on the UCAS form in order to select candidates
for interview. Applicants who apply using grades that have already
been achieved need not sit the UKCAT examination

My guess, is that the UKCAT cut-off for those with predicted grades is ridiculously high
Reply 581
Original post by Holz888
Ah. I have an explanation for why comparatively low UKCAT scores are seen in those with achieved grades.
Here is a quote from the 2011/12 Peninsula Selection Admissions Technical Manual:

grades

My guess, is that the UKCAT cut-off for those with predicted grades is ridiculously high

Oh, well. It was a nice dream wasn't it?

God, I'm so pessimistic.

Original post by BlackThought
For anyone who has an interview, are there any hotels near the university that can be recommended?

think im the jurys inn, but not sure how close as my dad will drop me kff to the uni in the morning :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by SuziieB

God, I'm so pessimistic.

Original post by Holz888

grades

According to the Exeter admissions department, they have still not finished sending out invitations for interview.
Original post by HarryMWilliams
According to the Exeter admissions department, they have still not finished sending out invitations for interview.

When did you ask them/hear this?
I didn't realise that re-applicants had such an advantage. Surely with high predicated grades and a high UKCAT you are at no disadvantage? Has anyone got confirmation that they haven't finished sending out interviews, and or they they favour re-applicants?
Original post by joker12345
When did you ask them/hear this?

I emailed them this morning and had a reply by 11:24.

Original post by Me-A-Doctor?
I didn't realise that re-applicants had such an advantage. Surely with high predicated grades and a high UKCAT you are at no disadvantage? Has anyone got confirmation that they haven't finished sending out interviews, and or they they favour re-applicants?

Above. Nothing about re-applicants being favoured though..
I just called exeter now. People on this forum saying they only do interviews in December, but the guy I just spoke to in undergraduate admissions said there are also interviews in February.

Basically I want to book a last minute holiday for christmas..but last minute because I was/ am waiting in case i get an invitation interview.

I dunno when is the latest I'll know that i havent got an interview for *this* month...:// woman i spoke to when I called last week said December interviews run from 7th-19th. I guess i should assume i havent got an interview for now and book my holiday lol.

Anyway, I hope that information is of some use.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 589
This is a weird one, me and my mate both applied to Exeter medical school. We both got the same UKCAT score of 600 but his grades are achieved and he's on a gap year (A*AAb) whilst mine are predicted (same as my mates achieved).
He received an interview the other day whilst I'm still waiting for any reply.
Are we saying achieving the grades give you an advantage or do they just happen to interview people on a gap year first since they aren't in school and may be less occupied with studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh and thats probably why the admissions people other people have called said they are still going through applications, because there are also interviews in Feb...If you havent got an interview, but haven't been rejected, stay positive. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 591
Also, have they even started giving out any rejections or do you guys think they wait to give out all their interviews then reject the test of the applicants in one go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last question: the people that have got interviews, how much notice did you get? :smile: thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 593
Hi guys sorry, I have just been silently stalking this thread and realised I have a TSR account. Just a quick note. I called up admissions this morning and sorry to break this to you but they said that the February interviews are for International students. But like Plymouth, there may be another batch of interviews for home students if the current cohort doesn't meet the standards in February. And on a more positive note the admissions lady did say that interviews are still going out... so you never know :smile:
Original post by itssochaotic
Last question: the people that have got interviews, how much notice did you get? :smile: thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

My interview is on the 17th of this month, I got the invitation on 22nd of November, so nearly a month. I think if you haven't heard yet just sit tight.... clearly they are still processing interviews etc. and as with the re-applicant being favoured, there is absolutely NO WAY a medical school could favour something like that, it's not "fair" maybe they are just interviewing us first, and then current A2 students later.... but we'll all have the same chance. They'll give offers to people that deserve them academically and did well at interview. Not whether they were or weren't born in on year or the following.
Original post by SuziieB

God, I'm so pessimistic.

my thoughts exactly, bye bye to exeter.
Has anybody got an interview at Exeter in January? Or are all the interviews being held in December?
Original post by miss-medicine
Has anybody got an interview at Exeter in January? Or are all the interviews being held in December?

From what people have posted here, I believe all interviews are being held in December.
Original post by kirush93
Hi guys sorry, I have just been silently stalking this thread and realised I have a TSR account. Just a quick note. I called up admissions this morning and sorry to break this to you but they said that the February interviews are for International students. But like Plymouth, there may be another batch of interviews for home students if the current cohort doesn't meet the standards in February. And on a more positive note the admissions lady did say that interviews are still going out... so you never know :smile:

Original post by miss-medicine

Original post by Me-A-Doctor?
From what people have posted here, I believe all interviews are being held in December.

Called at 4:45 pm and was told that there are some interviews 'in the new year' for home applicants, the person I spoke to was male. He said we SHOULD hear back before Christmas, and if you haven't heard you application is still being considered. He also said the UKCAT is not being used on a cutoff basis.
Original post by joker12345
x

I give up trying to understand their criterion! If I get an interview, fantastic. Otherwise, unsurprising. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending