The Student Room Group

Exeter Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carcinoma
Don't worry too much about it!

Take the course for what it is in first year, attend everything, do all the necessary learning, and play hard! If you do that you will pass above average. It's one of the best and most relaxed years.

Then you have all of 2nd year to get to grips with assessment, then you can focus on getting the necessary marks to get top quartile.

It's the least of your worries in first year.

I will hopefully be intercalating providing the next AMK and 2 ssus go well. So I'll be more helpful when u get to 3rd year when I will be in 5th yr. (assuming I intercalate)

Thank you!!! :biggrin: Good luck! :smile:
Reply 1441
Hey I've got an offer and want to visit Exeter (esp as i had my interview in Truro) - on my offer letter it said they'd contact me about an offer holders day and ive not heard anything yet? :s
anyone know when the next one is? :smile: thanks!
Reply 1442
Original post by 1234girl
Hey I've got an offer and want to visit Exeter (esp as i had my interview in Truro) - on my offer letter it said they'd contact me about an offer holders day and ive not heard anything yet? :s
anyone know when the next one is? :smile: thanks!

They arent doing offer holder visit days for medicine, because most of us had our interviews in Exeter so were given tours of the medical school at the time. I think your best option would be to book onto one of the open days in April and book the medicine talk :smile:
Now that some of us have offers, if we have firmed Exeter when do we start getting stuff in the post such as welcome packs accommodation, medical forms to do and information on the vaccinations and CRB as I haven't got anything at all yet?

Thanks everyone.
Original post by RoadRunner
Now that some of us have offers, if we have firmed Exeter when do we start getting stuff in the post such as welcome packs accommodation, medical forms to do and information on the vaccinations and CRB as I haven't got anything at all yet?

Thanks everyone.

From what I can remember info packs came late april/early may and there's no need to worry about vaccinations, if you can get a copy of your completed vaccinations from your GP that would be great otherwise they just take some blood in first week and tell you what you need (also in Exeter the occy health building is right next to rowancroft which is a big +++)
Hi guys,
I was just wondering about how much patient contact you get at Exeter in year 1? Do you go to GP surgeries or hospitals and how often? Also wondering how you find not having any dissection or prossection?
Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by penguin1234
Hi guys,
I was just wondering about how much patient contact you get at Exeter in year 1? Do you go to GP surgeries or hospitals and how often? Also wondering how you find not having any dissection or prossection?
Thanks in advance :smile:

About 2 hours a fortnight in first year at a variety of community placements. Including general practice and antenatal screening ect.

Instructed prossection would have been nice but I don't think it is essential. We have a form of instructed anatomy teaching about an hour a week through to use of living anatomy models, 3D plastic models, imaging and peer drawing.

Dissection has its pros and cons, it would have been nice but spending over a year on it is probably not the most constructive use of that time.

Additionally regardless of how anatomy is taught you will still have to do a significant amount of learning in your own time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
About 2 hours a fortnight in first year at a variety of community placements. Including general practice and antenatal screening ect.

Instructed prossection would have been nice but I don't think it is essential. We have a form of instructed anatomy teaching about an hour a week through to use of living anatomy models, 3D plastic models, imaging and peer drawing.

Dissection has its pros and cons, it would have been nice but spending over a year on it is probably not the most constructive use of that time.

Additionally regardless of how anatomy is taught you will still have to do a significant amount of learning in your own time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay thanks, I read somewhere that it is possible for Exeter uni to give you some sort of pass to go see/do dissection at bristol uni in the holidays or something? Is this true and do you know anyone that's done it?
Original post by penguin1234
Oh okay thanks, I read somewhere that it is possible for Exeter uni to give you some sort of pass to go see/do dissection at bristol uni in the holidays or something? Is this true and do you know anyone that's done it?

It is something you can do in your own time but it isn't free. Bristol do offer a dissection course but you have to fund it yourself.

However, there is the opportunity to organise small groups to go with one of the Pathologists to learn anatomy at autopsy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1449
is it worth applying with a prediction of AAB
Original post by ihmnj
is it worth applying with a prediction of AAB

It is lower than the entry requirement, so you are unlikely to be shortlisted for interview.

You would be better off applying with AAA in hand after completing your A2, alternatively try and convince your teacher in making you B prediction an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, seeing as you lot have got in to Exeter was just wondering if you could give me any info on how they used the UKCAT score:-)???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1452
Original post by melanieeeeeee
Hey guys, seeing as you lot have got in to Exeter was just wondering if you could give me any info on how they used the UKCAT score:-)???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure we've not really been told anything regarding feedback from our applications if I'm honest, so cant help really I'm afraid! All I will say is most of the people I've spoken to have UKCAT scores over 680 or so, and lots of people over 700... not sure if thats because there was a threshold or if its used more in borderline cases... Sorry cant be of more help! Try emailing admissions? Or check their website really carefully!!
Hey, i have AAA at a level but they have an offer range of A*AA-AAA :O Do I apply?
Reply 1454
It is lower than the entry requirement, so you are unlikely to be shortlisted for interview.

You would be better off applying with AAA in hand after completing your A2, alternatively try and convince your teacher in making you B prediction an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not trying to necro an old post but I applied with AAB and just put a resit on my UCAS and got my reference writer to predict an A, so if you can do that it would help :P
Original post by harrydo
Not trying to necro an old post but I applied with AAB and just put a resit on my UCAS and got my reference writer to predict an A, so if you can do that it would help :P

Yea of course, but doing that makes your predicted/achieved grades AAA. (I.e - equal to the minimum requirements)

But that would not guarantee an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1456
Yea of course, but doing that makes your predicted/achieved grades AAA. (I.e - equal to the minimum requirements)

But that would not guarantee an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course :P
Anyone in there 1st year of medicine at Exeter University here ? Please reply if you are :smile:
Reply 1458
Original post by HeyMickey6
Anyone in there 1st year of medicine at Exeter University here ? Please reply if you are :smile:

I am :wink:
Original post by harrydo
I am :wink:

That's awesome, I've got an interview this coming Friday, check your messages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending