The Student Room Group

Freshers WITHOUT drinking?

Hi!
So basically, I made it into the University of Nottingham (juddering over the line by a milimetre, methinks) and am now facing the exciting-yet-terrifying reality of having to actually go.

I'm really looking forward to uni, but I'm absolutely dreading Freshers week. I don't drink, nor do I have any desire to do so (I have my reasons. Not religious, I might add!) and I have never really enjoyed parties/clubbing, partially out of not drinking and partially out of a fairly introverted character. I'm not shy or unsociable, and I enjoy meeting people and having a laugh, but the general drinking/partying culture I just can't do. I was wondering if people had any advice over what to do? People who have done alcohol free freshers in the past? And any ideas over how to avoid the dreaded, drunken "Oioioi why aren't you drinking mate?" question?

Tl;dr: I don't drink, I don't swear, I don't rat my hair and I get ill from one cigarette. How do I survive freshers?

Scroll to see replies

Not everyone drinks at freshers week, and I won't be.
I don't drink for religious reasons either. :smile:

If people ask why you aren't drinking, then just tell them you don't want to.
I doubt many people would care anyway, it's not as though you're preventing them from drinking.
I'm in the exact situation, I don't drink and due to a recent experience - don't like clubbing!
I think it'll be okay though, focus on meeting new people, instead of getting hammered.
Also, you can help the drunk ones - great way to make firm friends... ;D
Reply 3
You'll have plenty to do during the day and will undoubtedly find other people in the same position. There are a lot more non-drinkers/club goers than people think so don't worry about it. Just try to have a good time, not drinking won't hold you back.
Reply 4
same i tasted wine and i felt like i was swallowing acid
"Not" is a word that should NEVER precede "drinking" in a sentence. What is this madness? :O
Most people will be too drunk off their heads to notice that you aren't :giggle:
Reply 7
I've seen this question so many times on TSR. Just message the other people who asked it & be bezzies, yo.
Reply 8
Why don't you just go to the library and study a few books to prep for your course? Read a novel or two?
Original post by >Untitled<
Most people will be too drunk off their heads to notice that you aren't :giggle:

This exactly. Plus, there is bound to be many people who are commuting, and so wont be planning on going clubbing and all that jazz themselves. You won't be on your own. I got through Freshers without drinking, and had an amazing time. Seriously, it's not the be all and end all of the week.
Reply 10
Thanks people! Awfully reassuring. It's good to hear that freshers isn't 100% hardcore Government certified and Daily Mail complained about teenager partying - My only sources so it thus far have been the media (Who obviously portray it as a hellish sequence of outlandish torture culminating in you being forced to drink battery acid) and friends (Who will tell you that they once did 37 vodka shots in a row, got off with the barman and then glamorously collapsed into a recycling bin) so I had this view that Freshers entirely revolved around drinking.
Original post by TheBluejay
Thanks people! Awfully reassuring. It's good to hear that freshers isn't 100% hardcore Government certified and Daily Mail complained about teenager partying - My only sources so it thus far have been the media (Who obviously portray it as a hellish sequence of outlandish torture culminating in you being forced to drink battery acid) and friends (Who will tell you that they once did 37 vodka shots in a row, got off with the barman and then glamorously collapsed into a recycling bin) so I had this view that Freshers entirely revolved around drinking.

Hahaha that made me laugh!!!
Reply 12
I've always found being the one sober one amongst a group of drunks to be hilarious. Drunk people, especially of the freshers age demo make enormous fools of themselves. I've never laughed as much as times I was the designated driver at that age - sit back, laugh a lot and take pictures.

Staying alcohol free is a simple choice. Just because you're around people drinking doesn't mean you have to. No one is going to try to force you - they may try to talk you into it though, thinking you're just shy and they're trying to help you get out of your shell. Tell them you're allergic to alcohol if you like and then they won't keep trying and will not be weird about you still being with the group (they won't be worried that you're going to be disapproving or try to lecture them).
Reply 13
Original post by Libshan
I've always found being the one sober one amongst a group of drunks to be hilarious. Drunk people, especially of the freshers age demo make enormous fools of themselves. I've never laughed as much as times I was the designated driver at that age - sit back, laugh a lot and take pictures.

Staying alcohol free is a simple choice. Just because you're around people drinking doesn't mean you have to. No one is going to try to force you - they may try to talk you into it though, thinking you're just shy and they're trying to help you get out of your shell. Tell them you're allergic to alcohol if you like and then they won't keep trying and will not be weird about you still being with the group (they won't be worried that you're going to be disapproving or try to lecture them).

I second this.

I'm a non-drinking fresher this year, but I worked as a seasonnaire for a couple of years before and was a non-drinker then too. It's AMAZING watching them make fools of themselves.

I'm not a massive fan of clubbing either, I'll happily go down the pub and be a non-drinker but clubbing just isn't my kind of thing. I'm not too worried though, I'm just going to be myself, try and make some friends and hopefully have some fun.

It'll be a laugh either way :smile:
I'm going with the hope that lasting friendships will be made through tutorials and things rather than loud nightclubs :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
You'll be completely fine. I only went out 'clubbing' properly about 4 times in the Freshers period? and for the other times my flatmates and me did other stuff (after Freshers we didn't really hang out much - but it was nice) and on the first night we moved in we watched 'Up' huddled on the sofa.

Freshers has too much emphasis put on it. You'll make your real friends when you start your course and find out who the nicest people are. Don't worry
Hi!
So basically, I made it into the University of Nottingham (juddering over the line by a milimetre, methinks) and am now facing the exciting-yet-terrifying reality of having to actually go.

I'm really looking forward to uni, but I'm absolutely dreading Freshers week. I don't drink, nor do I have any desire to do so (I have my reasons. Not religious, I might add!) and I have never really enjoyed parties/clubbing, partially out of not drinking and partially out of a fairly introverted character. I'm not shy or unsociable, and I enjoy meeting people and having a laugh, but the general drinking/partying culture I just can't do. I was wondering if people had any advice over what to do? People who have done alcohol free freshers in the past? And any ideas over how to avoid the dreaded, drunken "Oioioi why aren't you drinking mate?" question?

Tl;dr: I don't drink, I don't swear, I don't rat my hair and I get ill from one cigarette. How do I survive freshers?

You are exactly like me. Well apart from swearing maybe... :wink:
Hi!

I know exactly what you mean. I'm so looking forward to going to uni, I'm just not keen on the whole alcohol thing. I drink at most 2 drinks, but nothing more. There seems to be a fair few others who feel the same way as us, so I don't think we need to worry! Best of luck with this year!
All the "moving in day" stories seem to focus on alcohol, people keep recommending to start the drinking early :s-smilie: thing is I feel uncomfortable when people get properly drunk :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 19
GEEZ people keep asking this posting this topic, TSR > Make a section on this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending