The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Regardless of whether the Europa League and Super Cup are taken seriously by our teams, La Liga is a higher quality league.
Original post by ROYP
Regardless of whether the Europa League and Super Cup are taken seriously by our teams, La Liga is a higher quality league.

Agreed that in terms of quality La Liga might be better but in terms of excitement EPL wins it.
Reply 382
Original post by raheem94
Agreed that in terms of quality La Liga might be better but in terms of excitement EPL wins it.

Yeah I think our league as a whole is way more exciting, just because of the amount of teams that could realistically challenge for the top places
Barcelona v Valencia tomorrow. :cookie: Barcelona's first real test in the league? I know they haven't done well away at Osasuna in recent times but Valencia are surely one of the acid tests for both Real Madrid and Barcelona...
Original post by Jordan_1
Once again last night proves that La Liga > Premier League in terms of quality.

:facepalm2:
You're telling me that on a serious day they would have beat chelsea like that. That means barcelona are crap too because we beat them over two legs and they weren't friendlies(despite how we actually played so don't come up with that hating crap again).
The two top teams are stronger than all the english teams, but atletico madrid right now are pretty much on the level of tottenham last season. Last night proved nothing, when we beat real madrid in 98 that must have proved that the prem was better than la liga then?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jam277
:facepalm2:
You're telling me that on a serious day they would have beat chelsea like that. That means barcelona are crap too because we beat them over two legs and they weren't friendlies(despite how we actually played so don't come up with that hating crap again).
The two top teams are stronger than all the english teams, but atletico madrid right now are pretty much on the level of tottenham last season. Last night proved nothing, when we beat real madrid in 98 that must have proved that the prem was better than la liga then?

You're the Chelsea version of Jim-Jam at times. :facepalm2:
Reply 386
There's a reason all the prem teams are foaming at the **** to sign players from La Liga. They're just better.
Original post by CB91
You're the Chelsea version of Jim-Jam at times. :facepalm2:

Was waiting for someone to make that comparison, but no I'm not genuinely, I don't believe theo walcott is the best winger alive or that england have the best players. Oh I've found a golden quote on him saying bring back michael owen to liverpool. You can't compare me with that guy.
I'm just saying using a friendly to say a league is better than another is stupid? Am I right or wrong in saying that? I was replying to that post jordan 1 said, that using a friendly to make that statement is ****ing stupid and smacks of hate/straw clutching.

Jimmies being rustled.
Original post by ROYP
There's a reason all the prem teams are foaming at the **** to sign players from La Liga. They're just better.

I'm not going to argue with that. I believe that in general the players from la liga are better atm although that's a given seeing as spain are the best nation in the world and most of the spanish first and second team play in spain. I still believe that if the top 6 in spain were to face their english counterparts that we would get more wins.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 388
Original post by jam277

I'm not going to argue with that. I believe that in general the players from la liga are better atm although that's a given seeing as spain are the best nation in the world and most of the spanish first and second team play in spain. I still believe that if the top 6 in spain were to face their english counterparts that we would get more wins.

I'm unsure. We have to assume Barca and Real would beat anyone in our league, and I'd fancy Atlético and Valencia against most as well. I don't want to keep referring to Athletic Bilbao (mentioned them on the last page I think) but they came almost from nowhere and passed United off the park. Suddenly everyone fancied Bilbao as if they were special and then Atlético Madrid smashed them in the final. Every team in that league plays the stuff that our pundits cream over when Swansea do it.
Original post by ROYP
I'm unsure. We have to assume Barca and Real would beat anyone in our league, and I'd fancy Atlético and Valencia against most as well. I don't want to keep referring to Athletic Bilbao (mentioned them on the last page I think) but they came almost from nowhere and passed United off the park. Suddenly everyone fancied Bilbao as if they were special and then Atlético Madrid smashed them in the final. Every team in that league plays the stuff that our pundits cream over when Swansea do it.

I mean their english counterparts, chelsea/arsenal/tottenham(although there's questions marks over them) being the 3rd/4th place team would beat valencia and atletico/malaga. Spanish teams play that football, doesn't mean they're the best, you can play kick and rush and be a better team than a pass and move team as you have better players and they play better than you.

So that's not really a good way of saying a teams better than the other. atletico play counter attacking football/mourinho style football and usually have <50% possession in their games, does that mean that they play bad football then? Despite being the 5th best team in spain and smashing the likes of bilbao and europa league finest.

There's a reason that swansea aren't first, because they're not good enough, no style of play will change that unless they have the players required to push on to the next level, sure it'll help you tread above your weight though if you play to their strengths.

Attractive football=/=being good at it.

Although saying this, some very good teams on paper have been relegated in la liga, deportivo and villareal being more recent examples.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thunderous strike from Adriano to give Barca the lead against Valencia.
Stupid xbox messing up, can't watch it atm. Saw the adriano goal, didn't know he had a right foot, kind of thing glen johnson would do lol.
****ing hell man barca need to play with more width sometimes and stop cutting inside all the time otherwise teams will just narrow up and make it impossible for messi/iniesta/others to get space in those areas. Valencia are tough as hell to break down though. Diego alves has barely had a save to make in the second half.
Like the look of Song just wish he would be more adventurous. Arsenal fans said he has no defensive discipline from what I've seen of him he has too much...
Original post by johnharris19944
Like the look of Song just wish he would be more adventurous. Arsenal fans said he has no defensive discipline from what I've seen of him he has too much...

He's probably got stricter tactical instructions now he's playing at Barca, and he'll be sticking to them since he's only just joined I guess.
Original post by Loat
He's probably got stricter tactical instructions now he's playing at Barca, and he'll be sticking to them since he's only just joined I guess.

He put in a very good shift defensively, maybe it was Arsenal fans spouting crap because they were sore he left?
He put in a very good shift defensively, maybe it was Arsenal fans spouting crap because they were sore he left?

He's always been capable of putting in a good shift, just at Arsenal he would become disinterested and try and be Fabregas. And the Arsenal fans were saying it long before he left.
Original post by Loat
He's always been capable of putting in a good shift, just at Arsenal he would become disinterested and try and be Fabregas. And the Arsenal fans were saying it long before he left.

Good hopefully as he gets more comfortable he goes forward a little more. Like the look of him as a sort of destroyer.
Good hopefully as he gets more comfortable he goes forward a little more. Like the look of him as a sort of destroyer.

I think you'll see more of him coming forward as he settles in and gets to know everyone's game in the midfield. Some of his passing is beautiful.
Ronaldo said this after the Granada match today.

"I didn't celebrate my goals because I'm unhappy with some people. They're in the club & know who they are."

Some speculation that it's because of the Kaka situation.

Latest