The Student Room Group

Medicine problemo

Hi!
i was wondering can you still get into medicine if you do non -science A levels,
i did AS biology, chemistry, maths & business studies and failed miserably getting UEUE respectively i dont think these sujects were right for me but i still really want to study medicine
i want to do history, sociology, goverment & politics and economics
any suggestions??
thaank you !
xx
Reply 1
Why were the subjects not right for you?

You do know that medicine involves biology and chemistry a lot?
Reply 2
There are courses for people with non-science A levels but there aren't many so they are extremely competitive. You'll also still need to get As at A2.
Aside from that though, if you struggled with AS biology, chemistry and maths what makes you think you could cope with medical school?
Original post by Elwyn
There are courses for people with non-science A levels but there aren't many so they are extremely competitive. You'll also still need to get As at A2.
Aside from that though, if you struggled with AS biology, chemistry and maths what makes you think you could cope with medical school?

This. The majority of a medical degree is made up of biology so if you can't cope at a level you won't cope at uni. You need to look at other options like nursing etc but even those courses require CCC or above.
Reply 4
Pretty much all medical schools require chemistry at a level with (most likely) an A grade, they also usually require biology to at least AS level. Then they usually ask for the other a levels being in science subjects. There are some unis which (supposedly) say that as long as you have chem and bio at a level then they will allow a non science subject for the third a level.
If you don't want to do the sciences then it may be worth looking at foundation medicine courses - they add a year at the start which comprises of the useful chem and bio that you would have been taught at a level.
I hope this helps!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-P5110
Reply 5
I think it's worth noting that the foundation courses are for pepole without science A levels but who would nevertheless be expected to have an aptitude for science - not really aimed at those that failed science and then went another route. Sorry to be blunt, but medicine is not for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending