The Student Room Group

Mature student - GCSE certifacte's university request

Have been offered a conditional offer in fine art and I was required to pass my diploma at 60 credits at a merit level. I have met this requirement.

I accepted this offer and have recently completed my online pre-registration prior to enrolment to my university. In this it's askes me to provide evidence of my certificates which include my GCSE's

I completed and passed my GCSE 18 years ago, I've since misplaced my certifactes. During my UCAS application I also discovered that the governing body that was issuing the certificates no longer exists and that my secondary school also have no record of my grades or the fact that I even attended when they changed from paper to computer record storage.

So I guess my question is, what is likley to happen on enrolment to my course when I turn up with only my diploma certifacte and none of my GCSE certifactes.
Reply 1
Original post by xone
Have been offered a conditional offer in fine art and I was required to pass my diploma at 60 credits at a merit level. I have met this requirement.

I accepted this offer and have recently completed my online pre-registration prior to enrolment to my university. In this it's askes me to provide evidence of my certificates which include my GCSE's

I completed and passed my GCSE 18 years ago, I've since misplaced my certifactes. During my UCAS application I also discovered that the governing body that was issuing the certificates no longer exists and that my secondary school also have no record of my grades or the fact that I even attended when they changed from paper to computer record storage.

So I guess my question is, what is likley to happen on enrolment to my course when I turn up with only my diploma certifacte and none of my GCSE certifactes.

I cant imagine the GCSEs certificate will be needed as they would be more interested in the Access course as it's recent. Speak to admissions to confirm. My guess is the request for certificates is a generic one.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT15i
Reply 2
Your GCSEs are often required, even if you have an Access qualification. It is part of the prove who you are and meet the enterance criteria. In recent times I've had employers ask for old certificates, regardless of years of experience and references.

You can try the following, the successor organisations should be able to provide some acceptable form of confirmation. It is not cheap Edexcel charge £35 for this service. Hopefully you remember which board you took your exam with.

Edexcel has undertaken the responsibility of issuing Certifying Statements of Results to former candidates of the examinations bodies listed below:
Edexcel (GCE/GCSE)

ULEAC University of London Examinations and Assessment Council (GCE/GCSE)
ULSEB University of London School Examinations Board (GCE)
LEAG London East Anglian Group (GCSE)
UE&SEC University Entrance and Schools Examinations Council (GCE)
EAEB East Anglian Examinations Board (CSE/CEE)
LREB London Regional Examining Board (incl. Metropolitan & Middlesex Regional Examining Boards (CSE / CEE))
https://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/replace-certs-secure/Pages/default.aspx

Oxford Cambridge and RSA Examinations (OCR)
(Former MEG, OCEAC, OCSEB, SUJB, UCLES and UODLE)

Tel: 01223 553 311

Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA) (Guildford, Surrey)
(Former AEB and SEG)

Tel: 01483 506 506

Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA) (Manchester)
(Former JMB, NEAB and NEA)

Tel: 0161 953 1180

Welsh Joint Education Committee (WJEC)
Tel: 029 2026 5000

Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA)

Tel: 0845 279 1000

Northern Ireland Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) Tel: 02890 261 200

City and Guilds
Tel: 0207 294 2468
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I was in the same situation, and only needed to show my AAT qualification (NVQ4) certificate so i wouldn't worry.... phone student services though if you're unsure.
Reply 4
This thread got me wondering about certificates, so I rang my uni this morning, and was told that I didn't need my GCSE certificate, in fact they told me they didn't need to see my Access cert either because my college had sent them a breakdown. I would check with the uni directly though.
Reply 5
Hi, thank you for your replies.

I have indeed been intouch with the uni and have been informed that I'm required to take a university english test. Not sure what this will entail or what to revise but there we go. Thanks one and all.
Reply 6
Original post by xone
Hi, thank you for your replies.

I have indeed been intouch with the uni and have been informed that I'm required to take a university english test. Not sure what this will entail or what to revise but there we go. Thanks one and all.

The test is just required to make sure you are competent in English as you haven't got proof of your GCSE grade. To add on to what has been said above, Edexcel do indeed hold records from discontinued boards, as do AQA (you can find a list of the exam boards they carry somewhere on the website) - who are well worth looking in to as they don't charge you to look for your records, whereas Edexcel do. If they find your results, they will keep the deposit of £40 and send you a Statement of Results, which isn't the same as the original certificate but still universally recognised proof of exam results, which should be sufficient for entry (they don't give replacement certificates but the statement is close enough).

I hope this won't hold you back too much - I had a similar situation about getting into college for this September, as I have long lost my English GCSE certificate. Thankfully I found out my exam board was AQA and managed to get my statement in time!
Reply 7
Hello

I have been asked to go in for an English entry/equivalence test, due to me being a mature student (34) and not having a C in English.

Has anyone ever sat this exam? Does anyone know what's on the paper? What should I be revising?

I would be grateful to anybody who could give me a few pointers.
Reply 8
Best to ask the university for some guidance. International students have to acheive CEFR B2 level or IELTS level 5.5 for undergraduate course or be assessed by a state funded university. There are free resources on the internet which help you to practice the type of english require to pass these test. You could have a look at http://www.ielts-blog.com/ if nothing there gives you cause for concern up to level 7, you should be fine. CEFR B2 is considered to English up to GCSE level.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending